TOC

Part 5

Three days later Ellen and Martha were round at Clark’s helping him to interview nannies. An older woman in her mid-fifties was sat on the chair. She was a stern looking woman with brown greying hair in a tight bun.

“So does that mean you are strict with children?” Martha asked shocked and disliking the woman every minute.

“No it mean I am extremely strict with parents.” She laughed. “Baby needs routine.”

“Her name is Lois.” Clark said but was ignored.

“Give baby an inch, and she will take a mile.”

“Her name is Lois and she is three months old.”

“I don’t like her.” Lois had appeared next to Clark. “I don’t want her looking after our daughter.” Clark was nodding.

“Well Mrs…” He looked down at her resume “Miss Collins we still have other applicants to see.”

“We’ll be in touch.” Ellen said with a smile and showed her to the door then came back in the room. “Well I liked her.”

“I didn’t.” Clark said and picked Lois up from her bassinet were she was starting to fuss from lack of attention.

“Me either.” Martha agreed.

“What was wrong with her?” Ellen said crossly.

“She was a witch.” Lois said she was standing next to Clark who smiled.

“What is so funny?”

“Nothing.” Clark shook his head. “Ellen, She doesn’t need someone who is impressive she needs someone who will love her.” He looked down at the baby in his arm that smiled up at him. “I don’t want to upset you Ellen, but if Lois, was to walk in now and you told her that the wicked witch of the East is going to look after her child you know what she would say.”

“Yes I do.” Ellen smiled and took the baby and sat next to Martha. Clark sat down in the arm chair when Joseph walked wearing grey trousers, white shirt, red tie, blue sweater vest a white apron that said kiss the cook and carrying a tray with a tea pot, sugar bowl, milk jug, three spoons, three cups and saucers and a plate of cookies.

“Here we are I’ve made a pot of English tea, it will need some time to stand.” He said

“Thank you Joseph.” Clark said. Joseph took Lois from Ellen and smelt her Lois’ diaper.

“Excuse us.” He said leaving the room with Lois. Both Ellen and Martha watched him then looked at Clark.

“Who was that?” Ellen asked.

“Joseph, he helps out around the house. He like you thinks this is totally unnecessary and doesn’t see why he shouldn’t look after her.”

“Where on Earth did you find him?”

“The skip!” Clark answered as if Ellen had asked a ridiculous question and the answer was so obvious.

Three weeks later Clark was sat in a bar/bistro with Lois in the baby carriage he was approached by a waitress with blonde curly hair and blue eyes. Clark was taking Lois out of the carriage.

“Hi, oh he’s adorable how old?” The girl had a strong Scottish accent her name badge said ALISON.

“She’s four months.”

“”He’s precious so what can I get you?”

“Err I’ll have the burger with everything please.”

“OK.” She wrote on her note pad. “Anything to drink?”

“Cappuccino full fat cream and four sugars.”

“I thought you yanks were health freaks.” She smiled and he smiled back. Lois used to tease him about his sweet tooth. Then his smile faded when hr thought of Lois. “Are you alright?” She had noticed his change of emotion.

“Oh yes I’m fine.”

“What about handsome? What can I get him?”

“He’s…she’s fine I have something for her.”

“Would you like me to heat it up?”

“Thank you she prefers it warm.” He handed her a bottle and a small container with green goo in it.

“No problem.” She takes it and returns 15 minutes later with Clarks order and four beers on a tray. One burger, one cappuccino and one goo.” She smiled and put everything on to the table.

“Thank you.” Clark said. She smiled and took the Beer to the next table were there were four sleazy looking business men were sitting she hand out the beers as she was putting the last beer down one of the men put his hand on the back of her knee and ran it up her leg under her skirt.

“Please don’t do that.” She asked.

“I bet you’re a really goer.” The man said as his hand went higher Alison knocked the beer on to his lap.

“Oops, sorry.” She said not sounding at all sorry.

“You bitch! You did that on purpose.” The man said. The manager a tall blonde man came to the table.

“Ally, get the gentleman another beer.” He said in a French accent. She left the table and looked at Clark trying to eat and hold the baby.

“Here why don’t you let me take him you should eat?”

“Aren’t you working?”

“I’m due a break.” She took the baby and the bottle.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah we’ll be fine. What his name?”

“George.” Clark gave up trying to correct her.

“George. Well George, shall we let daddy eat.” She walked off into the back.

Clark watched, as Ally was able to get on with her work and pay Lois attention.

“Four cappuccinos for table four.” Ally asked the manager.

“Getting broody are we Ally?” He asked snidely.

“If I were you would be the last to know.” She walked over to Clark and handed Lois back to him with the bottle. “I washed them out for you.”

“Thank you. Can I get you anything else?”

“Just the check please.”

“OK.” She goes back over to the counter. “Check for table three.”

“The couple at number on.”

“They’re not finished.”

“Then where are they chérie?” Ally looked at the table nearest the door then ran out she came back.

“How much do I owe?”

“$37.50 not including service.”

“Tell me Anton did you see them leave?”

“Coffees for table four.” He walked over to Clark and set the check on the table.

“I’ll pay the other bill too.” Clark said throwing enough bills on the tray to cover the cost and leaving a generous tip.

“Were they friends of yours?”

“Why don’t you just let me pay the bill?”

“Sure it makes no difference to me.”

“I’m sure it doesn’t.” Anton took the money and went to the till while Clark lay Lois back in her pram then put the changing bag in the tray underneath he didn’t see the bag at the other end fall out as Ally came carrying the tray of coffees. She tripped over the bag the coffees crashed down on to the table of the four sleazy men cover them in the hot liquid and she fell to the floor.

“Ally.” Anton said. Ally picked her self up.

“Forget it I’m leaving.” She shouted as she ran past him into the back returning with her coat and purse then ran out the door.

“You can’t fire her for that it was my fault.” Clark protested.

“I didn’t she quit.” Clark went running out the door with the pram.

“What about the other bill?”

“You were right I didn’t know them.” He looked for Ally but couldn’t see her in either direction.

The following weekend Clark was I a mall he had Lois I the baby harness at the front of his chest. He looked at a sign that said ‘LADIES TOILET & BABY CHANGING ROOM’ so he headed for it when he was stopped by a security guard.

“Excuse me sir where are you going?” The guard asked.

“I’m going to change her diaper.” Clark smiled.

“That’s the ladies bathroom.”

“It’s also the baby changing room.”

“It is the mothers’ room.”

“Where is the fathers’ room?”

“There isn’t one.”

“Well there you are.” Clark continued his path to the ladies when the guard on his arm. “Look I need to change my daughters diaper, so I am going to use the room provided. It is not my fault that you only provide a room for woman to change their children if you don’t like it build another room.”

“I shall have to call the manager.”

“Good!” Clark went to the ladies room and the guard went in the opposite direction.

Clark entered the ladies room and laid Lois on the changing table removed her diaper and cleaned her while talking to her.

“Come on quick before they arrest me.” Clark put on a clean diaper and was unaware of someone watching him.

“That is the oddest boy I have ever seen.” Clark spun around.

“Ally? What are you doing here?”

“It’s a ladies toilet guess.” She bent over Lois. “Hello beautiful. What’s her name?” She asked as pulled down her dress and picked her up.

“Lois?”

“Hello Lois.” She said softly to the baby.

“I’m sorry about your job I tried to catch up with you.”

“Oh that’s alright it wasn’t so much a job as a punishment from hell.” She kept the soft tone and stared at the baby Clark was watching both of them Lois smiling.

“What are you doing now?”

“Nothing I’m doing absolutely nothing at all. Why?”

TBC

Thanks for the love
Thanks for the guidance
Thanks for the TARTAN PRIDE HA!

Can't Stop Me Now - Rod Stewart - Time 2013