Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TriciaW Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
Hey FoLCs smile1

K-Com needs your help. help We are concerned that there may not be enough stories eligible for Best Original / Supporting Character.

If you have a story or know of a story eligible for this category, could you please post the story name and character’s name in this thread? Hopefully, K-Com is wrong and there are many stories eligible for this category. jump

Thank you!

Tricia cool

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
To make sure I'm clear on this...

This is any non-Lois/Clark character right?

So someone who wrote a great Perry or Jimmy or Cat or whoever else who is still canon counts, right? It doesn't have to be a completely new character. Like say my good guy Lord Nor in Backwards III [which is not currently eligible] - if folks wanted to nominate him, he'd be eligible, no?

Off the very tippy top of my head...

Anonpip's Chad in Breaking Up

Jenni's Matt and her villain in My Wife the Boss [forget the villain's name].

Female Hawk had several who would qualify in Awaken My Heart.

Nan had one with the kids in the Doppleganger series...

Those are all original characters - though FH's AMH has several canon characters [Nor, Zara, Ching, etc] who I believe would still qualify if someone chose to nominate them, correct?

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
There were several of the kids in the Dagger series -- Wyatt Dillon, Linda Lennox, Allynda Myers, even CJ(Superboy).

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
T
TriciaW Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
wave This is the definition for this category.

Best Original / Supporting Character: Rewards a special character from stories which strongly highlight a supporting character from the series or creates a new, interesting character that plays an important role in the story. No size restrictions. (Sorry, but versions - no matter how altered - of Clark or Lois do not qualify as Original or Supporting Characters)

Supporting characters such as Ching, Zara etc must be the main focus of the story.

Tricia cool

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Just trying to clarify in my head...

So the character would have to be considered a 'lead' or main character in the fic and is not Lois or Clark.

'Walk on' role - of course not.

I guess I never thought it was someone who had to be the focus of the fic. Doesn't that negate the 'supporting' part?

So it would have to be a fic focused on, say, Lord Nor? [Such as one titled: Lord Nor Saves the Earth]

Someone who is in half the fic but integral to the plot? [One titled: Kal-El Does a Good Job Until He Gets Hit with Kryptonite then Lord Nor Saves the Earth in the Second Half]

Someone who is in and out but plays a key supporting role? [Title: Kal-El Saves Earth and Relies on Lord Nor, Who Shows Up at Convenient Times, for Yoda-like Guidance and Wisdom]

[Yeah - I know playing fast and loose with the character of Lord Nor there =D]

If it's just the first one, wouldn't supporting be more like 'Non-Lois and Clark as the Main Character' rather than a true supporting, like J/M etc often are in the show - like Jimmy and Perry talk about in whatever ep that is where they talk about getting lives of their own instead of being supporting characters for L/C?

Not trying to pick a fight or anything like that, just trying to understand smile . I rarely nominate much so have never spent too much time thinking about it since I only vote on what's already nominated but I'm trying harder this year!

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
A Box Of Swiss Chocolates by Sara Mooney - LnC's daughter.

That Little Sister of Mine by Alisha Knight - Lucy

Play Some Mountain Music by Terry Leatherwood - Lucy and the other characters from Lois' band

The Quest for the Lost Scrolls of FoLC-Lore by Mary Potts - The archeologist/anthropologist

Edit (digs out the super-short ones):

Encountering Talent by Bartholomew, Bob - The Old Lady who meets LnC

What Happens in Metropolis... by Dandello - Frasier

Listen by Potts, Mary - LnC's son

The Freebie by HappyGirl - Bobby Bigmouth

Tempus Junior by Olympe - Tempus

Lex's Best Day by Bartholomew, Bob - Lex Luthor

Not Just a Fairy Tale by Dandello - J.T. Kirk

Only a Fairy Tale by Dandello - J.T. Kirk

Murphy's Law Retort by Frantz Jr., Richard - The Assistent DA

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Is this category restricted to 'good guys'? Would villains be eligible? CarolM's hypothetical titles suggested Nor but it sounded like he'd be written to become a 'good guy'.

Didn't think I was confused about this cat but now am. laugh

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
think I've answered my own question:

from the category descriptor posted by tricia earlier:

Rewards a special character from stories which strongly highlight a supporting character from the series or creates a new, interesting character that plays an important role in the story.
'strongly highlights' - I assume that means the character gets a lot of 'screen time' but is not necessarily the main character or characters (L & C) This does not preclude the character being the central character, of course, but s/he's more likely dr watson or moriarty rather than Holmes , given how our fanfic goes.

'plays an important role' - so could be either a saint or a sinner
laugh

c. (who has likely got it all wrong)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sounds about right, Carol.

Originally posted by TriciaW:
Supporting characters such as Ching, Zara etc must be the main focus of the story.
Um... past years also had truly supporting roles nominated, as long as they were essential to the story with enough screen time. But the narrative wasn't about their fate. huh

Michael blush

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Top Banana
Top Banana
more questions:

I've now been reading the category descriptors and have more questions (think I've been assuming I knew what they were without actually reading smile )

Best Alternate Universe / Elseworlds Story: Stories which feature parallel universes (including the Alt World that was introduced on the show), or stories in which the author has made major changes (such as time, place and/or nature of the characters) before where the series started in the Pilot. Cross-overs would also fit in this category. No size restrictions.
Last year, 'Next Generation' was included in this category. What happened?

2. Best Relationship:
Best Relationship Story (over 50k): B-plot driven stories which focus mainly on Lois & Clark's relationship. I was wondering if stories that are both A plot abd B plot driven would count here. As a reader, I find it's those fics which intertwine the two which stay with me and are the most moving because the A plot affects the B plot and so makes it richer somehow. Does that make sense? So by sticking with a B plot driven only fic, I wouldn't be nominating what I really think are the best relationship fics.
(although there are many short fics that are relationship fics that are wonderful, highlighting as they do one special aspect of the relationship)

c.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hmm... non-authoritative guesses:

* We had a ton of next-gen stories last year, too few for a separate category, but they did fit into the Alt-Universe cat. Probably will also this year, if they get nominated into it huh

* Well, given how we already have Best Drama for the A-plot centric ones, I'm leaning to stories that have A-plot only in a supporting role. E.g. Awaken My Heart falls into this category. But there's usually some overlapping.

Michael

Top Banana
Top Banana
but they did fit into the Alt-Universe cat. Probably will also this year, if they get nominated into it
But, Michael, they won't be because this year the descriptor does not refer to them or include them its title.

c.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That was only done after the nominations were in smile

Michael

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is probably already posted somewhere, but when are the Kerths? I need to ask for the day off.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Merriwether
Merriwether
Original/Supporting Character can be any fairly well-fleshed out character that is not our main couple, from what I remember. Yvonne's George wasn't the focus of the fic, but had a very large role in the story. Mamba was co-nominated in Tank's To Protect and Serve II, and I don't remember him being a good guy in the fic.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
T
TriciaW Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
smile1

Tricia cool

T
TriciaW Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
2010 schedule

Nominations will run from Saturday, February 27 to Sunday, March 14, midnight EST. The official ballot will be released two weeks at most after all the nominations are in.

Voting will run from Saturday, April 3 to Sunday, April 11, midnight EST. That will give us a week to tally the votes and prepare the list of winners.

The ceremony will take place on IRC on Saturday, April 17, time to be decided.

Tricia cool

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks, Tricia for the clarification. smile I still feel unsure about the relationship category but will follow your suggestion and nominate what seems to feel right. smile

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Off the top of my head for short supporting/original character stories:

My Cold and Blood (Lara and Jor-El) and I believe Queenie's Cold and Blood (Clark's two sons fighting in the snow--if it's not Queenie's, I hope the author will speak up).

Definitely some of the band members in Play
Some Mountain Music and Tek in Awaken My Heart.

I'm sure there are others. That's just shooting from the hip.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Top Banana
Top Banana
for short supporting/original character
There's a short people's category? Heh!

c.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard