Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#162398 08/06/09 05:08 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This maybe the wrong thread but I wanted everyone to see this. Apparently Geocities is closing down in October.

I have extended a similar offer to my other fandoms since it would be a shame to lose any fansites:

I have room at clois.shadolibrary.org to host additional websites at no charge. If you're interested, just email me. (I don't always get PMs.) Since Geocities didn't allow for complex programming, a transfer of your files to my host server should be fairly simple.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#162399 08/06/09 11:36 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
If you have any sites bookmarked that you use for reference or have say fanfic that you bookmarked you might grab it. I'm using wget and grabbing the sites I have bookmarked. Many of them haven't been updated in years so the odds of the owner moving them is low.

#162400 08/07/09 02:34 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The new FOLC wiki might be a good place to move things like Nan's series guide and the family tree.

#162401 08/08/09 11:47 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Both are on the Archive though.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#162402 08/10/09 08:22 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Received an email from webrings that might be helpful:

Yahoo recently announced that they are closing GeoCities sometime later this year, possibly as early as the end of summer. This closure will likely affect many of you. You might be one of the thousands who have one or more registered sites located at Geocities. Some Ring Managers might have dozens of GeoCities sites in their rings.
Whatever your situation, we would like to help you make sure you don't lose your website or ring members when Geocities closes. Please take a moment to read a letter [links to ]www.webring.com/h/letter8] from the owner of WebRing.
Thanks to our recently launched webspace, you can save your soon-to-be homeless GeoCities site. WebRing webspaces are completely free for all WebRing members! You can read about webspaces here [links to pg.webring.com/cgi-bin/members/blog.cgi?userid=9970254786008&targetdate=2009_4_20&monthyear=Apr_2009].
Ring Managers should contact all affected members of their rings and pass this information on to them.
Free members get 50 MB of personal storage. To get a full 1 GB, you can upgrade [links to ]www.webring.com/h/benefits] to the premium membership level.
Remember, this personal storage is absolutely free to all WebRing members. Only your membership level determines how much space you get.
You can access your personal storage (when logged in) at:
http://sh1.webring.com/cgi-bin/pshout?fl=y;cr=y
Sincerely,
WebRing Member Services
membership@webring.com
Still skeptical?
If you think it's going to take too much work to move over your site, we invite you to read a WebRing member's personal account: "How WebRing Saved My Butt and My Website [links to pg.webring.com/cgi-bin/members/blog.cgi?userid=9970254786008&targetdate=2009_4_22&monthyear=Apr_2009]"

I'm not a geocities user, they sent it to me because I have a couple of sites on various web rings.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#162403 08/10/09 09:02 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Actually, the series guide (courtesy of Pam) is hosted on a geocities site. I hope it gets moved (I have no control over it) because it helps a lot of people find all the stories.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#162404 08/10/09 09:30 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So it is. Luckily, I happened to read this thread, so I'll email Lauren and ask her if there's any way to move it.

Just for future reference, if you think something on the Archive might disappear from a third party source, do email me and let me know! I might not always catch it otherwise.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#162405 08/10/09 10:08 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
For that matter, if you happen to know an owner of a Geocities site and they give permission, I can certainly copy and transfer the site over to my hosting service as well. Just let me know.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#162406 08/10/09 01:01 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What is concerning is that the illustrated editions of S5 and S6 are hosted on Geocities, courtesy of Pam...

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#162407 08/10/09 03:47 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Also Pam's site is on Geocities. I'd hate to loose access to that.
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#162408 10/28/09 12:58 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by Nan:
Actually, the series guide (courtesy of Pam) is hosted on a geocities site. I hope it gets moved (I have no control over it) because it helps a lot of people find all the stories.

Nan
I just noticed this is still on Geocities, presumably they haven't shut down that server yet. Would you like me to mirror it on my site just to be on the safe side?

Marcus L. Rowland
#162409 10/28/09 01:42 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
AFAIR, Lauren emailed Pam on this one but got no reply. Not sure what happened after that - whether she tried again or it got lost between the cracks.

Yes, Marcus, please back it up if you can and I'll ask Lauren to see if we can work something out for the Archive ASAP.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#162410 10/28/09 04:02 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
LabRat, I think it got lost in the cracks inside my head. I forgot to write Pam. Sorry!

For a test, I popped Pam's links to Nan's stories into a Google Sites page here .

As a replacement for Geocities, Google Sites would be a good option for anyone. Google's not going anywhere (I hope!). Anyone who has a free Gmail account also has a Sites account (not to mention a Google Docs account). And it appears Sites users can invite other people to be collaborators, which is intriguing.

I'll write Pam and see if she's OK with us grabbing her work.

Thanks,

Lauren

P.S. Folcs, are there any other authors' series that could do with a series guide? Feel free to create it, post it and send us a link. Or just send us the list of stories in the order in which they should be read, and we'll post it for you. smile

#162411 10/28/09 04:43 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ha! My dodgy memory strikes again. laugh I knew we'd had a conversation about it though - which is pretty good going for me these days!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#162412 10/29/09 12:52 AM
Kerth
Kerth
OK, I've put it on my site here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/forgottenfutures/temp/nansmith.htm

Basically, I just copied the original page, rather than doing anything fancy. Seems to work OK. If necessary I can add more stories to this, the HTML doesn't look especially complicated. The only snag is that at some point I may want to change my ISP, and if I do this site will close.

Marcus L. Rowland
#162413 10/29/09 02:31 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Marcus! sloppy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard