Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#162147 06/27/09 01:23 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As a reader, I'm not sure I have a preference, genre-wise, between the three. I like Elseworlds because playing with universes is fun. I like alt-beginnings because there are so many delicious possibilities. The show created such terrific potential, and they couldn't possibly explore all the variations. And I'm quite fond of burgeoning romance/revelation stories, and those elements are usually found in alt-beginnings.

I like alt-Clark stories because I want the poor guy to finally get a happy ending. People have written wonderful wonderful stories in all categories.

As a writer, Elseworlds might be my favorite. There's a lot more freedom there. I was just re-reading Hearts United, and it was fun to create that universe. Hearts Divided was the longest thing I've ever written, and Tryst is second, and they're both elseworlds.

Actually, if I have a least favorite genre, it would be one in which absolutely everything is canon. What fun is that? At least during the time period of the show; alt-Clark stories are usually canon but there's not a lot of details there so there's still a degree of freedom. And post-S4 stuff is canon, albeit with a whole lot more established backstory to work with.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#162148 06/27/09 01:57 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting, Pam. You wrote:
Actually, if I have a least favorite genre, it would be one in which absolutely everything is canon.
I'm going to disagree somewhat, though. I've often found that fics that are canon have to include 'more'.

By that i mean, they have to really explore or delve into the characters, and yet keep character consistent with the details we saw in the show. Also these canon fics have to develop solid A plots to hold our interest. (I'm talking about longer fics here, and not those lovely 'inbetweenies' that take a smalll detail and fill in the gaps for us) So for me, a well-written 'canon-fic' is a pleasure.

Not to say here that an original reworking of things doesn't make for a great fic, though. (referring to my top 20 list again. smile )

But the least interesting? The preganancy genre smile - I find they're often predictable, etc. And any fic that changes the character of either Lois or Clark - Just not for me. What's the point? I'm not then reading about "Lois' or "Clark" but about Fred and Wilma or whoever. laugh

Wonder what others think?

c.

#162149 06/27/09 11:12 PM
G
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
G
I've always liked Zoomways "Always something there to remind you."
This would be a proper alt-universe. laugh

--Are L&C identical to canon (post-Lois and Clarks ) alt-Clark (lonely, no privacy) and alt-Lois (disappeared in the Congo)? That's a proper alt-universe.

#162150 06/28/09 06:13 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, I've always liked that alt-universe, too. I think Zoomway might have been the first author to manage to give alt-Clark a new secret identity, to let the boy have some privacy again, and fix what Tempus destroyed.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#162151 07/06/09 05:46 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I always wished Zoomway would write a follow-up story to Always Something There To Remind Me - because I loved Clark's new secret identity (especially with the blind guide-dog and Clark ending up taking Lois' name laugh ). But, allas, she never did. frown

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#162152 07/12/09 12:05 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Well, my favorite genres are Elseworlds, AltBeginnings and NextGen, whereas I have to specify NextGen as 'when the kids are old enough to develop powers'.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard