Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#162001 05/10/09 03:34 PM
ShayneT Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Has anyone considered doing summaries when they do their TOCS, sort of like what they do on the archive? It would make interesting storylines easier to find and might even get people more readers.

I think a lot of people have limited time, and sometimes titles just don't quite do the job of catching the readers' interests. I think that's when people read the few people whose names they recognize as regular performers, because they don't have time to look at everything.

But a good idea...I think that would draw people in, and a summary would advertise that and make things more accessible.

Just a thought.

#162002 05/10/09 04:15 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sadly, very few authors start or update their own TOCs these days, Shayne. I do most of them.

However, it is a nice idea, so I'd definitely encourage authors to give it a go. There's nothing to stop you!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#162003 05/10/09 04:54 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Ooo nice idea.

I went through some and put up brief summary blurbs on I think three of my TOC thingies.

Then my brain held a coup against all that thinking, and is now demanding restitution.

I'll go back to it after my brain's been appeased by chocolate laugh

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#162004 05/10/09 06:17 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I'll do mine [at least the ones I've done TOCs for] soonish.

However, I will likely just steal some of them from the archive wink .

Carol

#162005 05/11/09 09:15 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Can I just ask anyone who's setting up their own TOCs to make sure they include a link to any comments threads. That's comments thread for each part in a multi-part story and the comments thread for complete vignettes.

Many readers and new members, coming late to a story like to be able to read previous comments - and even belatedly add to the thread. wink

Including them in the TOC makes everything easy to find, rather than having to trawl through months or years of the Fanfic folder.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#162006 05/11/09 09:27 AM
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by carolm:
However, I will likely just steal some of them from the archive wink .
That's what I do, too smile

Michael, scurrying off to add descriptions to the earlier stories. Before the dark times. Before the Empire.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard