Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Beat me to it, Carol. I was just idly wandering through the Stopping Plagiarism site (excellent resource btw) and spotted it, too.

Here's her excuse:

(Anonymous) wrote:
Apr. 10th, 2009 05:47 am (UTC)
It's me, Shin-Kalel. Thank you for your email Spiralleds, and for the chance to explain myself.

I am sorry for having posted the work of others. I just wanted to start with existing stories so I would be able to make my own, and believe me, I have made a few of my own already thanks to those I published. I didn't know that publishing those would lead to chaos.

Again, my heartfelt apologies, and starting today, I will remove my account from FanFiction.net, never to go to that site, or any other site again, to post anything.

I'm sorry for my shortcomings, I humbly beg forgiveness from you and the authors.

Shin-Kalel
ETA: I've been trawling back through previous entries on the SP site and, honestly, it's worth taking a look at some of the excuses offered by plagiarists. Makes you shake your head and wonder what their parents and teachers taught them when they were growing up.

I like this one:

Well, thanks for telling me that I have writing ability, I guess. Honesty, it was my first story (or maybe not 'my' first story) and it is my last. I don't know the exact definition of 'plagiarism', and I certainly didn't mean for it to be a stolen story. I appreciate your time, and I would just like to let you know that I have no intention of writing any more fanfictions. If I do decide to in the future, I will make it completely my own. I appreciate your understanding, and I hope, as you said, that the "fandom" will forgive me. If you choose to put my name on a list of "known plagiarists", then could you send me the url? I have never seen one of these, and I would at least like to check it out. Of course, this is unneccessary due to the fact that I only wrote one story and I only planned on that one story.
Eeesh.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wow, that is strange. It sounds like they have no concept of what plagiarism is. But how can they think they worked on anything if they simply copied a whole story and pasted it on another board? They didn't even change the names of the characters with a global replace?
Even so, I'm sad to see someone declare they won't write ever again. They had good taste to pick good stories. Actually, the whole apology was so effusive, I'm skeptical (but I'm a cynic). My bet is they try it again under another pseudonym. Most first timers would be in denial first. huh huh
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Top Banana
Top Banana
One would think that people would have been taught in their Language Arts classes (for whatever language) that taking someone else's work and slapping their name on it was stealing - they wouldn't have gotten away with it in school, so why do they think they can get away with it in the rest of their lives?

It also means they haven't read any of the guidelines ff.net has on what is and is not allowed, nor any other archive guidelines.

Luckily, such blatant theft seems relatively rare in fanfiction - in part due to self-policing as evidenced here.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm stunned that the 'author' posted there. Still, all the plagiarised stories are gone, which is good. I just posted a note of thanks to the comm and the mod on our behalf.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I had to go back to 2005 and read some of my 'old' cases with Stop_plagiarism. It made me laugh. Oh the good ole days...
The lameness that some people can display is overwhelming!

LOIS:I don't like you.
MAYSON: Really? Oh god, that is such a relief - I don't like you either.
LOIS: That makes me feel so much better
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Stop_plagiarism has posted a follow-up to the original post and investigation, just summing up findings.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
It is good to see it dealt with. The motive however just weirds me out.

Framework4
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How people can think that it's okay to post somebody else's work as their own, and not view it as cheating, is a mystery to me.

At least Google (and vigilant fans) are making it harder to get away with.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks for posting the link to the follow-up Wendy. It's nice to see that it is dealt with. Looks like Shin Kalel never did any original writing at all, just slapped new titles on other stories. How there is any satisfaction in that I simply can't understand.
cool
Artemis

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What's really depressing and chilling is the attitude/excuse given by this plagiarist - which, reading the stories on the SP website, are not at all unusual.

This idea of "Well, you see, I didn't actually have any writing talent, so I couldn't write or post any stories of my own, so I just figured no one would mind if I took other people's and posted them instead and I'm really surprised to find out that's considered a bad thing to do."

I mean where does that kind of thinking come from? eek

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LabRat, the answer is the lack of proper teaching. Sadly, this has become common in the USA.
cool
Artemis

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Out of the 15 or so term papers I've graded, I've had about 5 or 6 that were plagiarized and a couple more I gave the benefit of the doubt to.

I get to grade about 25 more; we'll see how those do :p . And these were 2 2 page papers each, so 4 pages total on two different topics.

Fun times...
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is infuriating. One of my college research papers was plagiarized word for word and then afterwards, the person bragged that they got an A plus when I got an A minus. The nerve of some people.

I would have love to have seen some of the comments all of you put on fanfiction.net! And how in the world could someone not know what plagiarism is? Maybe they might not know the official name, but surely they know what stealing means.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This idea of "Well, you see, I didn't actually have any writing talent, so I couldn't write or post any stories of my own, so I just figured no one would mind if I took other people's and posted them instead and I'm really surprised to find out that's considered a bad thing to do."

I mean where does that kind of thinking come from? [Eek!]
As I was reading this again a thought struck -- wonder if some of the cases aren't writers at all, but in their group, it's cool/common to have stories on ff.net. Since they can't write their own, they pick something else and put their name on it. The story's not the important thing, and there's none of the satisfaction *we* have in getting feedback on our hard work -- but what is important is that the person has now posted *something* and is thus one of the cool kids. The peer pressure is focused on participation, not originality. The number of reviews is a status thing, so numbers are all that matter, not content. huh

Okay, it's hard to imagine fanfic-writing being that cool <g> but if all your friends are doing it...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
I agree, Pam. Plagiarism of a fanfic makes no sense to me, either. At the same time, it's one of those things that I keep trying to understand. I mean, I can understand stealing someone's essay to submit for a class. You want the marks but you don't want to do the work. But stealing a fanfic? It's not as if it's going to give you the feeling of a job well done - nor is it going to benefit you financially or in terms of easy marks. So why bother? There must be some other motivation - like peer pressure. But I wouldn't have considered writing fanfic as the 'cool' thing to do.

But then, a lot of things about the web completely confuse me. For example, why do people claim to have insider information about a political candidate or a reality show outcome or almost anything else when they don't? Or why do people feel free to be mean just because they don't have to sign their own name to a comment?

There has to be a reason for these things, but for the life of me, I can't understand it. I'm sure it would make an interesting study.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Or why do people feel free to be mean just because they don't have to sign their own name to a comment?
I took a web studies class in grad school, and we talked about this all the time. There are so many things said online that we would never say face to face but because we have a level of detachment (the computer) separating us...some how this lessens our thoughts concerning the consequences of our dialogue. We went off on tangents a lot about how our whole society is finding new ways all the time of detachment...email, text message...

Maybe if we had more face to face conversations, we'd all be a little peachier online. wink I bet psych departments are writing whole papers on this kind of stuff...

The only reason I can think of so far for stealing fanfic is a little fame or glory in a comments section...which is sad that you need to steal it, but ok, it's a *little* geeky cool that someone thinks fanfic is worth all that trouble...If that makes any sense.

Cheerio
JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Silly thought, but it seems backwards to me that people would plagarize fanfic to get glory among their RL friends when so many true fanfic authors don't even tell their RL friends that they write fanfic because they feel too geeky.

Elisabeth
who has always been forthcoming about her geeky hobbies

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard