Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
The old Guess the Author thread revived an old interest. It was so fun I think we should do them again.

How did that work last time? We were given a six week period of time to write a story, e-mailed it to an impartial third party who posted it to the boards? The only difference is that I think we should decide in advance that at the end of six weeks a list should be made, in alphabetical order, of all who wrote fics alongside a list of titles, in order of posting. Then the official guesses can go in that folder for one week with the revelations to follow.

I think we should also do another gift-fic. If I remember correctly you write three things you want in a fic, three things you don't want in a fic, your favorite season and some other thing I don't remember. If we do this, I think there should be two people running it, so they can send and receive a fic and still keep the secret.

Of course, the bummer is that I'm suggesting these right before a bunch of great authors write a novel. However, if we slide the days just right we can still get this to work. The Guess-the-Author could be from now until December 15. The gift-fic could have sign-ups from now until December 10. The assignments could be mailed out at or before December 15 with the gift-fics (was that called a fic-a-thon?) to be posted by January 30.

So what say ye, fair folcs. Is anybody interested in twisting again like we did last summer? (Translation, should we do these shindigs again?) If there is sufficient interest I don't mind being the person to post the Guess-the-Author stories this time. If this is the wrong time of year or somebody has a great idea, I'm open to suggestions.

I'm also willing to be one of two who would post gift-fic assignments. Is there a second volunteer? Ditto the note about is there sufficient interest, a better suggestion on timing or a new great idea.

Elisabeth

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
How did that work last time?
Here's Lynn's original thread:

Guess the author I

And Laura's info from when she last revived the idea:

Guess the author II

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Sending you an email about the ficathon.

For me personally, it's too late to do a Guess the Author pre-Nano - though that might be a good mid Jan idea when it tends to slow down as people start looking at Kerths. Would keep fics coming but they'd be short etc.

smile
Carol

Kerth
Kerth
I like both ideas, but I can't say for sure if I'll be able to participate. I'd need the complete dates first, I guess. huh

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
I thought this thread gave the opportunity to vote on what dates you preferred. Of course someone sometime will have to make a decision, but without anyone voting there can't be a majority to rule.

Elisabeth

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Oooh, I vote december! It could be a secret santa thing! smile1

~•~
Top Banana
Top Banana
I vote for a secret Santa - NaNoWriMo will be over and we can concentrate on our other stuff. (Uh let's see, 2 L&C, 4 SR - I've lost some in there somehow...)

December works.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Elisabeth, did you have a suggestion for a topic? I noticed that all the guess-the-author stories before had a specific topic to write about.

If you give us the topic now so writers can be thinking about it off-and-on during NaNo, then December 15 would probably work okay for that contest.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Last year's theme was Halloween/Costumes for the Guess the Author doohickey.

I emailed Elisabeth yesterday - I'd been thinking about this too and had looked up last year's Holiday Ficathon dates recently. The discussion didn't even start till late Nov iirc.

Last year's GTA started in early Oct IIRC with the goal to be posted by the end of the first week in Nov.

Here was my thinking:

Holiday ficathon signups: Nov 26 - Dec 3 or so [maybe a week earlier? signups during Nano but assignments made after? or even assignments made by Dec 1?]
Assignments out: Dec 6-7 [or, well, see above]

Guess the Author topic posted: Jan 15
Fics posted: by Feb 15 [maybe a Valentine's Theme?]
Lists/guessing thread: Feb 16-20 or something
'Prizes': awarded Feb 21 wink

The boards tend to be a bit slow the first couple months of the year - in part as people start getting ready for Kerths. My thinking is that GTAs will be short enough etc that they won't take TOO much time writing or reading and hopefully help with the early year lull.

Other thoughts?
Carol

E
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
E
I forgot about the whole theme idea. What about this one: someone gets a surprise. Is that broad enough for those who want to write a Valentine's-y story and for those who don't?

Elisabeth
PS I like Carol's dates.

Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I am glad you suggested this Elisabeth. smile

I like Carol's dates too, as at the moment I am not so successfully, I admit, attempting to ressurect my interest and ideas for 2 in progress fics as well decide the fate of 2 others not yet started. So not having to committ right away to a holiday deadline would be helpful.

If I am read Carol's post right, it looks like there might be 2 separate ficathons? One Holiday and the other V-Day or did I miss something? I do like the theme idea or maybe, to do make it a little different maybe, rather than (or even in addition to) each person requesting 3 things they want in their story, they could also suggest three possible themes and then their secret author would surprise them with one? Is that too confusing? Just an idea so we'd get a variety of themes but also have the element of surprise. smile

My other question is in Lynn's original thread it looked like stories were both n and g fic. Would we go by request or only have one or the other?

Mona

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Mona -

Two separate things.

Holiday ficathon - three wants/don't wants are submitted; authors are assigned someone else's list and write them as presents for whoever they get assigned

Guess the Author - moderately generic topic [last year: Fall/Halloween/Costume/something like that]; authors send stories to coordinator/s who post/s them; at the end of allotted time a list of fics and participating authors is posted and everyone tries to match them up.

Does that clear it up?
smile
Carol

Kerth
Kerth
On the German boards, we tried ficathons with an overall theme. This idea was highly successful, so why don't we do the same here? For example, this summer we had the ficathon theme 'revelation'. So, everybody got the three wishes and anti-wishes from his partner (as usual) and this overall theme. And you wouldn't believe what sort of stories people came up with. (One of them would be Michael's "Batman, Zorro, And Other Liars")

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
Thank you, Carol. smile For some reason my tired brain last night read the holiday ficathon and guess the author as one and the same as opposed to two separate things which I see they are. smile

Mona

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/votes for Carol's dates.

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard