Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#159703 07/05/08 08:34 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Don't bet on it. They've got grandkids by this time.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#159704 07/05/08 08:37 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
So Mary Lucille is also...

Mary
Lois [step mom - go with it]
Sam/Ellen [step grandparents]

Mary
Lori [parent]
Robert [grandparent]
Catherine [great grandparent]
???? [great great grandparent]
Lucy [great great great grandparent]
Sam/Ellen [great great great great grandparent]

...her own step second cousin three times removed.

Okay - I really should be writing instead of seeing how convoluted Nan's family tree is.

Carol

#159705 07/05/08 11:06 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
One CJ is Clark Jerome like the original and the other is Clark James. That point was made in a story I read recently.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#159706 07/06/08 10:28 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, what fun!

Great chart, Artemis!

Also cousinship is not calculated between individuals of any degree of aunt / uncle and nephew / niece relationship to each other.
But guess what? If they cross family lines they can be both. I don’t have my genealogical info in front of me, but let me see if I can get this straight (or close to it). My father’s paternal grandmother’s brother’s child married my father’s half-sister (they shared the same mother) making my father both uncle and cousin to his half-sister’s children. Or something like that... (His half-sister was no relation to my father’s great uncle.) Did that make sense? Probably not....

I'm going to print that out and take that to my family reunion. I can't get anyone to understand what 2nd cousins really are.
If they are like my mom’s family, they get really confused when you start saying someone is a ‘removed’ cousin. One way I explain it is if they are in the same generation then they are 1st or 2nd cousins, etc. If they cross generations then they are ‘removed’.

No, Perry Kent is his father. Titan, the superhero from Tanzanika, is Jonas Kent. His brother is Zebadiah Kent, otherwise known as Eclipse.
smile Nan, do you have to keep your own chart? I’m sure I would 'cause I'd be confused. I have a huge wall-sized chart to keep track of the genealogical info I've done.

My head is spinning.

So I have a question that I thought of when I read Nan’s first story in the Home series. What if at some point, Clark lost contact with all of his grandchildren? Say, for instance, he went to New Krypton or maybe everyone thought he was dead but he was really in coma somewhere. Around the 10th generation down, he wakes up or comes back. He finds another incarnation of Lois / Lori who also happens to be his far removed granddaughter. They would share hardly any of the same genetic information. So would it be okay for them to marry? (Yes, I know I come up with weird questions.)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#159707 07/07/08 01:57 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Since I love to dabble in genetics and stochastic, let's see...

If this girl was the tenth generation of his offspring (without any inbreeding within the Kent clan in her line), she'd share about 1/1024 of her genetic material with Clark, although it might (theoretically) range between 1/2 (highly unlikely) or zero (unlikely, but definitely more likely than 1/2). This would make them about as related to each other as two people who aren't related at all.

So, I guess it would be okay for them to marry. Although you Americans might still object because they still are related... *g* But you know my views on that matter. smile

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#159708 07/07/08 03:46 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
It thought that if a person were adopted she would have all of the same relationship as if she were natural-born, regardless of blood.

Elisabeth

#159709 07/08/08 04:04 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, Classicalla:
Nan, do you have to keep your own chart? I’m sure I would 'cause I'd be confused. I have a huge wall-sized chart to keep track of the genealogical info I've done.
Well, she used to at the beginning, but now she uses mine (polishes fingernails on chest - just kidding).
She e-mails me new stuff and I add it to the chart. The hard part is figuring out where to put it, hence the use of "#" to indicate more detail below.
Elisabeth said:
It thought that if a person were adopted she would have all of the same relationship as if she were natural-born, regardless of blood.
True. CJ raised Myra as his own. However, if you fall in love with your first cousin, you have an out because you are not a blood relative. However, if you tried that with your half-brother, you'd be in trouble.

As to the remove:
A cousin chart, or table of consanguinity, is helpful in identifying the degree of cousin relationship between two individuals using their most recent common ancestor as the reference point. Cousinship between two individuals can be specifically described in degrees and removes by determining how close, generationally, the common ancestor is to each individual.

Additional modifying words are used to clarify the exact degree of relatedness between the two people. Ordinal numbers are used to specify the number of generations between individuals and a common ancestor, and further clarification of exact cousinship is made by specifying the difference in generational level between the two cousins, if any, by using degrees of remove. For example, "first cousins once removed" describes two individuals with one cousin's great-grandparents as the common ancestor but who themselves are one generation different from each other.
from wikipedia

cool
Artemis

#159710 07/08/08 04:12 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Half-Cousins from wikipedia:
Half cousins

Half-siblings share only one parent. Extrapolating from that, if one of John's parents and one of Mary's parents are half-siblings, then John and Mary are half-first cousins. The half-sibling of each of their respective parents would be their half-aunt or half-uncle but these terms, although technically specific, are rarely used in practise. While it would not be unusual to hear of another's half-brother, or half-sister, so described, in common usage one would rarely hear of another's half-cousins or half-aunt, so described, and instead hear them described simply as the other's cousin or aunt. And children of half-first cousins are half-second cousins and so on because they would share only one common great-grandparent instead of two.
There is a whole set of math that can go with this cousin thing. But it was too much detail even for me.
cool
Artemis

#159711 07/08/08 04:45 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
<quote>

"If this girl was the tenth generation of his offspring (without any inbreeding within the Kent clan in her line), she'd share about 1/1024 of her genetic material with Clark, although it might (theoretically) range between 1/2 (highly unlikely) or zero (unlikely, but definitely more likely than 1/2). This would make them about as related to each other as two people who aren't related at all.

So, I guess it would be okay for them to marry. Although you Americans might still object because they still are related... *g* But you know my views on that matter. [Smile]"

Actually, from what I've been told, in the US, anyone with ancestry from the British Isles is approximately sixth cousin to any other person with ancestry from the British Isles, so, in that sense, most of us are already related.

Nan

#159712 07/08/08 06:12 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
So true!
Actually, from what I've been told, in the US, anyone with ancestry from the British Isles is approximately sixth cousin to any other person with ancestry from the British Isles, so, in that sense, most of us are already related.
One thing I learned on my trip to Ireland last October was how interrelated the Scottish and Irish are. Many Scots came to Northern Ireland (still part of the UK) to work the plantations for the English masters and married into Irish families. So even an Irish name like Lyons (yes it is! I found that out in the Belfast genealogy library) can have a lot of Scots in it. BTW, I'm a LeHane, descended from Lyons.
To compound the whole thing further, the Vikings continually raided Ireland over the centuries and took young girls as slaves. So my Norwegian/Swedish side is probably Scots Irish too.
cool
Artemis

#159713 07/09/08 07:32 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
More on Lyons from digging through my own ancestry:
The Ui Liathins (O'Lehans, Lyons) were an ancient celtic
family. They are descended from Eogan Mor, the son of O(i)lill Olum,
King of Munster. A megalith near Duntry League Hill is said to be
Oilill's final resting place. From Eogan all the Eoganacht Clans are
descended, including the royal MacCarthy's. Eogan's son was as powerful
as his fathers were. When the Ard Righ, Cormac Mac Art tried to raise the
taxes of Munster, Fiacha raised an army and defeated Cormac at Knocklong.
This resulted in Fiacha gaining securities, pledges, and hostages from
the High King.
To give you an idea of the time period, Eogan died in 195 A.D.
cool
Artemis

#159714 07/09/08 07:42 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
You know, there is a nice little program called Family Tree Maker that would help out here...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#159715 07/09/08 11:28 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks James. I know about it. It's really a more complex tool than I need for this job and takes more space.
regards
Artemis

#159716 07/12/08 06:25 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Don't ask me why this occurred to me while driving kids home from the new Veggies but it did...

Ryan
Jon [parent]
Lois [grandparent]
Sam/Ellen [great grandparents]

Marcy
Robert [parent]
Catherine [grandparent]
???? [great grandparent]
Lucy [great great grandparent]
Sam/Ellen [great great great grandparent]

Ryan and Marcy are second cousins twice removed though they didn't know it when they met/married...

*head spinning thing*

Carol

#159717 07/12/08 08:09 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
<g> Second cousins twice removed is pretty remote. I doubt that anyone would bat an eye at it. I'd think there would be many more questions about the long lifespans of some of the Kent family members.

Nan

#159718 07/12/08 08:56 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
You mean the whole he's like 25 years older than her thing wink ? Or something like that - I'd have to go back to Honeymoon to figure it out and I don't have the time to do that right now smile .

Or is it more than that? Jon's in his early-mid 90s and I want to say Ryan was in his mid-late 50s when he met Marcy who's something like 9 years older [iirc] than Lori who was 21 when she married Clark [yeah - okay - so he was 109 when she was born - that's a bit more extreme than Marcy and Ryan wink ].

Carol

#159719 07/12/08 09:31 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I really hope that they have someone with access to government records who can do an occasional bit of editing, or the longevity is going to lead to a lot of questions. Someone with a senior position in the late 21st century equivalent of e.g. the Witness Protection Program would be useful.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#159720 07/12/08 09:42 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
We won't go into all that -- I think it would be sort of tedious. One would think that, with as long as the Kent clan and the Superman Foundation have been around, that they would have established some methods of dealing with such problems.

On more immediate matters, I hope to have the next part done before I head off to LAFF on Thursday. I'll do my best, anyhow.

Nan

#159721 07/14/08 10:10 AM
Artemis Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
If I remember right, Nan mentioned in one of the earliest Home stories an Age of Disturbance? (Disaster?) where most records had been lost during looting and fires. So that probably did a big chunk of it.
cool
Artemis

#159722 07/14/08 12:48 PM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
That would be the Decade of Unrest.

Nan

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard