Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
wow - this has been an education, reading this thread. Plus we get a map!
But seriously, I didn't think this was a gripper thread topic but it really has been interesting to read.

So how far is it? Miles? (kms) Mode of travel? Time? What if you're driving with a significant other and you stop for an n-fic moment? Or just lunch? What if you have a 'funny thing happen' en route?

So really how far *is* it between Met. & Smallville?

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
So really how far *is* it between Met. & Smallville?
One time zone and half a continent. (sorry, I'm in a bit of a hurry this AM)

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love some of the names on the map.

Looking for a good place to stop for an nfic moment, carol? How about halfway between Coyville and Climax. goofy

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
Top Banana
Top Banana
LOL

c.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, according to Google Maps, from Topeka to NYC it's 1,255 mi – about 19 hours 53 mins. So add a little bit for the outside of Topeka, and roughly plus or minus however far it is from NYC to Metropolis.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I always thought of Metropolis as New York and Gotham as Chicago
I don’t think so. I thought Gotham City (like Metropolis) was supposed to be a substitute for New York City. New York City is even called Gotham sometimes.

But I know that NYC does exist in the L&C universe (it was mentioned in Man of Steel Bars)
So does Gotham City - remember the ep where Superman says something about Batman? He used one of Batman’s nick names.

Here it says they're 'within' driving distance [whatever that means] and sometimes twin cities across a bay. This is the same info as the wiki but without the ( in the link which the boards won't allow.
Makes sense to me. In Batman: The Beginning (Did I get the title right?), Bruce Wayne refers to Gotham City being on an island (like Manhattan). But I think that’s the only time I’ve heard that reference.

across a bay
I’ve rather thought of it that way before, too. I say that both must be somewhere in the northeastern US. But, hey, why not be creative and put Gotham City in Canada? New York State does border Canada, but I wouldn’t exactly say that’s a short drive (from NYC to the Canadian border). But then New Troy doesn’t really exist so you make it work.

"I don't see Metropolis or Gotham. Where Metropolis should be are large number of overgrown suburbs to the North of NY City and where Gotham should be is a over populated souther section of Boston." or something like that.
Oh, wow, very interesting, James.

but if you follow Paul's link it says that Smallville is located pretty much where Topeka is and has a population of 90,000 people.
But Smallville is a small town. And 90,000 is not a small town. It bugs me that on the show Smallville, they have a sign that gives the population at around 50,000. That is also not a small town. I know folks from LA and NYC might think that’s small but when it comes to the Midwest, it’s not. Now I live in a small town - 1000 people.

NO FREAKING WAY!!!!!!!
I so agree. As I mentioned above, folks from LA and NYC (including the DCU writers) probably don’t really understand what a small town is.

Mayberry type place [a quick Google search indicates 1200-2000]
Yes, that’s great description. A town down the road from me looks very much like Mayberry and Smallville. And the population of 1200 - 2000 fits exactly.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
Sunnydale (Buffy) had a population of 38,500 at the start of season 2 and 32,900 towards the end of season 7, mostly due to large numbers of people either dying or deciding to live somewhere else because they don't want to be eaten. And even at its smallest it was obviously a MUCH bigger town than Smallville.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Merriwether
Merriwether
I once lived in a small town that was about 10,000 people (and about an hour from Metropolis, whoo!), and even that town seemed bigger than the Smallville we saw. Then again, I visited a town in New Jersey that was 15k, and they had a town center that seemed sort of like Smallville, while another town in PA that I lived in had almost 10k that had some nice quaint areas that were Smallville-like. So it could all depend on the layout of the town.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
In my experience it also depends on how close the towns are together. There's a town in Iowa that has a population of less than 200 but is surrounded by a much bigger city. It doesn't feel very small. A town surrounded by country feels much smaller than a town of the same population just a few miles away from the next town.

Elisabeth

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Thank you all for this thread smile .

I needed to know how big an average farm is in Smallville. By using Neodesha as a reference point, the average farm size in that area is something like 450 acres. For my purposes, the Kent farm is about 640 or a square mile so a bit bigger than average but not huge [like the 1100+ average in other counties].

FWIW, if you need a job, apparently Neodesha is hiring smile .

Carol

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Was looking up some stuff and came across these...

Neodesha Statistics

History/Geographical Info as well as local attractions.

Miss Emma\'s Diner - there's a bunch of other stuff on that page, mostly different businesses. I think it's kind of funny - all the construction stuff [painting etc] have the guys' first names like: Herder & Huff Painting (Charlie & Gary)

Anyway - shows that that section of KS could have the trees etc that we see on the show.

Carol

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I'm reviving an old thread because I came across some interesting info while reading the script for GGGoH. Apparently Smallville was supposed to be located in Lowell County, Kansas. Of course there is no Lowell County, but there is a Lowell Kansas, which is located just to the south of the green line on the little map above. The Lowell County stuff must be canonical from pre-L&C lore because it apparantly (however you spell that) is also used in the show Smallville.

Elisabeth

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard