Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#158382 01/28/08 12:45 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
I have never used the 'Gary Stu' format in any story. If I wanted to be in a fic, I just put myself, as Tank, in it.

Tank (who figures it's much simpler that way)

#158383 01/28/08 03:49 PM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
It might be simpler Tank, but then again I never saw you put an idealized version of yourself in the story. For example, you never describe Tank as an Adonis with rippling muscles and a mane like Fabio. The girls don't sigh and faint at your feet. Also, Superman rarely asks you for advice on how to deal with the current crisis. Therefore, even when Tank appears in your stories, it isn't a Mary Sue character. (Although you have lived out quite a few hair-cutting fantasies in the pages of your books.)

Elisabeth

#158384 01/28/08 04:12 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sadly, if they are writing on FF.net it will be a long time coming for them to learn this skill. They all seem to flock to each other's stories and fawn over the very stupid ones leaving the really great ones dusty and in need of love.
Well, don't forget, as someone once calculated, the average reader age on ff.net is eight. laugh Or, at least, it was back then. I haven't been there for a while, so it's possible things have changed.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#158385 01/28/08 04:23 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
jawdrop Really? I always thought it was at least twelve. Guess I was being overly optimistic.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#158386 01/28/08 05:28 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Since I'd never visited ff.net, I decided to pop over there and see if there was anything I might like. I found this:

Closing down
Tue 4 Dec 2007 / 20:42 - by Laryx
Hello everyone,

Been almost a year since the last newspost. And this time i bear sad news. In the not too distant future we will close down ff.net
The site has not become what sunspark and I have originally envisioned.
The exact close date is still unknown, but if you want to save any stories save them now.
Thanks to al who have used and enjoyed the site.
There are five comments posted in response to this message. Two of those are from Laryx, one of the board operators.

I wonder what Laryx and sunspark originally envisioned that site being? Judging from the lack of outcry over the closing, I'd guess that there aren't many people posting to it or reading anything there, unlike this MBS.

Still, it's sad when something that's been around for a while goes away.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#158387 01/28/08 05:54 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Actually, Terry, it looks like that was for another site. Although people often refer to it as ff.net or ffn (for convenience), it is actually www.fanfiction.net

And it is growing constantly. Several of our own best writers post there, either simultaneously or after posting here on the boards/archive. And I believe, on more than one occasion, a new author has posted there, someone here has seen the story and contacted them, and then this new author came and joined our happy band as well. smile

Right now there is a fascinating story "what-if" story in progress there called "Freedom of the Press", which takes off on TGGGOH and what might have happened if Trask hadn't been killed. I just discovered it yesterday, and devoured all three chapters posted thus far.

I only dabble in a couple of fandoms there, but the place is vast.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#158388 01/28/08 06:22 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
My apologies, Kathy. I'm glad to hear that fanfiction.net is thriving. In fact, I plan to check it out this week. What the hey, I can sleep next month.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#158389 01/28/08 06:37 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
rotflol You're right, Terry, definitely not worth losing sleep over.

Truthfully, I would imagine that in many of the fandoms there you would find a lot of garbage, as well as some real gems. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to wade through it.

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#158390 01/29/08 09:56 AM
Kerth
Kerth

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
#158391 01/30/08 01:47 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Tank:
I have never used the 'Gary Stu' format in any story. If I wanted to be in a fic, I just put myself, as Tank, in it.

Tank (who figures it's much simpler that way)
That's funny. I put Tank in one, too. smile

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#158392 01/30/08 04:46 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I think I used Knat Nosliw a time or two... I know Missy and I used it in the 'Tank hates Jimmy and Lois needs a haircut' fic we wrote...

wink
Carol

#158393 01/30/08 10:33 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Marcus, I remember reading that history when I was puzzled about what the heck a Mary Sue was, too. <g> It was pretty long, but interesting... and enlightening!

I don't think I've written original Mary Sues, but I'm probably guilty of Sueing a canon character here and there in my early WIPs. (Actually, I did have an original Mary Sue a couple of times, but it was in my indulgent original stories when I was 13-14, heh.)

I can't help thinking that there is a justification for Mary Sues: most main characters in the shows I watched when I was a pre-teen and younger were Mary Sues. A beautiful girl with a tragic past, a huge heart, and courage to top any dashing hero's, who has several men fall for her while she only has eyes for one - sounds familiar. This is what a lot of young teenagers end up thinking a heroine should be like, through no fault of their own. Mostly.

Many canon characters can be argued to fit the profile (certainly many that match the above description), but they're particularly disliked in fanfic, and I think the reason is that when fans (can't speak for everyone, but at least some of us) seek out fanfic, they're mostly looking for stories about the characters already known to them, and don't care for OCs (which can still done well, of course, as in many L&C fics). I'm talking about OCs that take over as main characters, of course, not secondary ones.

Then there's the issue of popular romantic relationships. I'll admit it - I'm a total sucker for romance in fanfic and though I enjoy a well-written fic that doesn't have any, I'll still go back to romance. And I like Lois to end up with Clark. So I would probably not want to read a fic in which Clark meets Winter Sparkle Sunshine, falls in love with her and shoves Lois to the side. goofy Again, to each their own, but this is me, and true for many fans.

If anything here makes less sense than it should, it's because I should be asleep right now. <g>

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#158394 01/31/08 01:39 AM
C_A Offline
Columnist
Columnist
This is a really good article on the Mary Sue phenomenon.

Fanfic | MVs

Clark: "Lois? She's bossy. She's stuck up, she's rude... I can't stand her."
Lana: "The best ones always start that way."

"And you already know. Yeah, you already know how this will end." - DeVotchKa
#158395 01/31/08 01:03 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think the closest I've come to a Mary Sue story is probably "Sick Day"... but I didn't put 'myself' in that story (well, not really) I put Sue S. in the story. Hee hee... And it was mainly to cheer her up because she was sick. laugh

Side note -- I only began posting at fanfiction.net because I started writing a Heroes fic and I had absolutely no idea where else to post the story except there. I haven't found any awesome place like we have here... well... anywhere. laugh So I took what I could get. smile

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard