Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
And the longer the half-life, the less radioactive the isotope is. I recall reading that iron has a half life in the billions of years.
I thought it was even longer than that. Anyway, since astronomers agree that the universe is between thirteen and fourteen billion years old, and since they also agree that iron is not primordial, but is formed inside generation after generation of short-lived massive stars, that should mean that most of the iron that has ever existed in our universe is still around. (Although I do know that there are different isotopes of iron, containing different numbers of neutrons, and some of those isotopes may certainly be more radioactive than others.)

Gamma radiation may go forever, but intensity decreases exponentially as you get away from the source. And I'm pretty sure it can be distorted, blocked, etc.
It can be blocked, but it is very hard to do so. You need something extremely massive and thick between yourself and the gamma rays to block them. In the universe, there exists something called gamma ray bursts. They are believed to be narrow jets of concentrated gamma radiation emitted either when a particularly massive star goes supernova, or when two neutron stars collide. Those jets of gamma rays contain a tremendous amount of energy. I once read what would happen to the Earth if there was a gamma ray burst taking place in our own galaxy (but thousands of light-years away) and one of the jets hitting the Earth. According to what I read, the side of the Earth that took the direct hit would be scorched and sterilized. However, the rays wouldn't be able to penetrate the Earth itself - after all, the Earth is made mostly of iron and nickel, so it is quite dense - and therefore the opposite side of the Earth would be spared the immediate effects of the gamma rays. (Of course, the devastation on one side of the Earth would eventually affect the opposite side, too.)

By comparison, an "ordinary" supernova that went off in our galaxy a few thousand light-years away wouldn't affect us in the slightest.

But I personally have never heard of human beings that give off so much gamma radiation that their bodies can kill others from a considerable distance. If they give off gamma rays, my guess is that the gamma radiation would quickly become diluted as you moved away from the radioactive bodies.

Ann

Kerth
Kerth
Talking about the case of Alexander Litvinenko... If I remember correctly, he was poisoned with a substance emitting alpha particles. The truly ingenious part of it is that you could carry said substance - it was polonium-210 - in a little tupper box with you, and nobody would be contaminated. And since the substance was ingested (and the human body obviously doesn't have any way to get rid of it again), it could harm the body from within - without emitting any radiation out of the body. (Remember, alpha particles can't get through any solid matter - not even a sheet of paper.) The problem is that the substance used took its time to actually kill Mr. Litvinenko. The most obvious change in his body was the loss of his hair, I think.

You might also want to look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_poisoning#Internal

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by Lara Joelle Kent:
The most obvious change in his body was the loss of his hair, I think.
That was the indicator in the NCIS ep. The guy who had been poisoned came into the NCIS office and said he wanted to report his own murder and pulled out a handful of hair.

/me has no real life experience and so relies on TV shows wink
Carol

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard