K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
NaNo Name: KSaraSara
Years Doing NaNo: first time
This Year's Genre: Fanfic! (Because I suck at OF)
This Year's Idea: I'm hoping that the sequel to Wherever You Will Go will sort of just flow out... once I get past that small, little roadblock called Editing As I Write. I know this one's going to be a long one, but it's been quite some time since I've been in this universe. I might semi-cheat and throw some Away From the Sun sequel stuff in there. I mean, hey, it's all the same universe, so to speak. wink
Novel Title: Far Away (tentative title, using Nickelback's song as inspiration)
Word Count Goal: 50,000 (so I can say I'm a winner wink )

I still have to add some of you, it seems! That'll have to wait til a bit later when the site's not so bogged down and I don't have class.

I spent most of my morning today re-reading parts of Wherever You Will Go (and trying not to cringe too much at my older writing! :p ) and my notes for the sequel. I only have 183 words so far. I'm really trying to get past that mental block that tells me I have to write well the first time. Bah! I'm horrible with editing and revising. But, hey, that's one of the main reasons I wanted to challenge myself to do this.

Is anyone else going to the Write-Ins with other local NaNo'ers? I'm thinking about doing one or two because I think it'd be neat, but then there's that dreaded question: Ooh, what are you writing about? *g* Eh, we'll see.

Off to class now!

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
By 11:30 pm on day one I had written 1692 words! I couldn't believe it! Especially when I didn't actually get to a computer until 8:30 pm. Before that it was all handwritten. Yay me! thumbsup

I was home eating chocolate—cottage cheese.
Chocolate flavoured cottage cheese. It's a new flav—
I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I wrote during the two times I had scheduled today and got 2010 words. Considering that I usually write about 250 words per hour, that's pretty impressive for about 3 hours work.

Sara, I have the same problem with editing as I write, trying to make a perfect draft, which is why I decided to try NaNo this year. How did I shut off my editor? I sat down with a timer set for five minutes, turned off my monitor and started typing. I couldn't see the screen, so I couldn't correct my errors. When I couldn't think what to type, I typed a string of "and and and and" until the next phrase came to me because the rule with freewriting is that you can't stop writing. When the timer went off, I turned the monitor back on, reset the timer for about 4 minutes and corrected what was on the screen. So out of my 3 hours of writing, I only wrote for 120 minutes or so while the rest of the time was cleaning up my typos, filling in missing words, etc. For me, that's a staggering output.

The nice part about the process I used is that it can be used with very short periods of free time (like 5 minutes wink ).

Looking forward to tomorrow and finding out what happens next--a strange situation for a natural-born plotter to find herself in. wink

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
I'm at 4339 at the moment. My goal was 5000 but I don't think it's going to happen. Yes, that's higher than the daily average goal but I know there's going to be days that I won't be able to write at all. I finally did something I rarely do - wrote nonlinearly. I literally couldn't think of what to write in one scene - it would have been like three pages of sheila's ands... I finally moved on to something else - I know where it's going and a macro view of how it's going to get there but... Once I decided to move on I went from 3612 to 4339 in no time. I have more in my head but doubt I'll get it on screen tonight...
Carol

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay... so dropped the OF idea quickly... and went back to the LnC story. LOL I'm so fickle.

[img]http://picometer.writertopia.com/words=1191[/img]

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well... This is a quick overview of my first day:

I started adding words to the story I had started at lunch time. The one that's basically a rewrite of the pilot... I got up to 852 words (up from 500-some).

Made the "mistake" of reading it again.

Decided it sucked, that I hated it, that I never wanted to see it again and... and.... and... OMG, whine! IsoterriblywantedtowriteaboutBatmaninstead!

So... I put "Fates Entwined" on my USB key and opened up a new Word document and then I started typing something else.

I put in 1131 words, then went to bed - smiling and seriously looking forward to being able to write again.

So in fact, I've written 1983 words. Sadly, they don't all count. Heh.

I don't know yet what I'll do with Fates Entwined. All I know for sure is that forcing myself to write a story for the sole purpose of being able to post it here was a really bad idea. The story I'm working on now won't fit on the boards for damn sure, but it's definitely going to make me a happier person.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay guys. Little participation question for today:

Now that most of us have started, what is the first line or paragraph of your story?

Mine:
Her current situation was one that would either make for a fantastic story later if she escaped or a horrific tale once they found her body.

Post if it is good or bad. ^_^

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Emma leaned out the window of the Model T Ford. They were speeding along at thirty miles an hour, and the moist air rushing past her face and rustling her hair felt wonderful. It must have been at least one hundred degrees out, and four hours in this tin can they called a car hadn’t made it any more pleasant.

Must research Model T's. Not sure they actually had windows. But I can look that up in December.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
First line:
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

I doubt that's enough to hold back the masses so...

Next para:
The young boy ran down the road, yelling at the top of his lungs. He moved faster than humanly possible, running towards the two people he loved more than anyone else in the world.
Better? smile
Carol [word count: 5042]

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
First line of the story I stopped writing was:
All Clark Kent had ever wanted was to have a normal life.

Really original, huh?

First line of the story I'm gonna keep on writing is this:
I've seen him here a few times.

(hey, you said first *line*! [giggles madly and runs away])

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I ought to try that, Sheila. Thanks for the idea! *wonders idly how to turn off the laptop monitor...*

Half of my first paragraph (because I seriously cannot resist the urge to edit if I post the whole para):

It'd been a month now since he'd come home. She knew he needed time to adjust to being back on Earth, time to get used to having a daughter, time to be human again. But something more was bothering Clark.

Have I mentioned how excited I am that there are a few of you writing alt-Clark stories?? goofy

I'm only at 214 words. And I've got some major homework to get done, so I'm trying to get that done earlier rather than later. *sigh* Sadly, one bit of homework is to write a story for fiction class! :p And there's really no way I can combine the assignment with NaNo (seeing as I have to edit it and it can't be fic and is only 10 pages long ;P). *whines*

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Features Writer
Features Writer
First paragraph:

John Crichton trudged through the snow towards the being he had long ago named Einstein standing near a small rock enclave. His Farscape module, more battered and patched together than it had been three cycles ago, sat behind him in a hiss of cooling metal.

Yeah yeah it needs work, but I'm trying not be be all edity wink

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
NaNo Name: D_Smiley1
Years Doing NaNo: this is my first
This Year's Genre: Chick lit
This Year's Idea: A girl thinks back on her personal history, and wonders where she went wrong, and what she would do if she could do it all differently.
Novel Title: none as of yet
Word Count Goal: 50,000

My number is: 245997

Current first line is (but I'm writing in chunks, whatever part of the story I can find in my brain today is what gets written, so this won't actually be the start):
What did I expect? Not what happened and the repercussions and resulting events that I threw myself into after.

Don't think about the pink elephant... I dare you!

Thanks to Tineke for the avatar
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
When Caleb Pries called to his imaginary friends for help, he didn’t know what to expect. But it sure wasn’t a bolt of lightning and simultaneous crash of thunder that left him deaf and blind, as helpless as a newborn kitten.

Sara, you might try draping a hand towel over the monitor on your laptop. There's also so F-key button that shuts it on and off (F3? F8?)

Sheila Harper

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Okay, first paragraph of Whose By-Line Is It Anyway:

I sat at my desk basking in the glow of my latest scoop. “Million Dollar Car Theft Ring Exposed,” the Daily Planet proclaimed. After such a successful story, I figured I deserved a short break, and so, I was working on my novel while I waited for one of my sources to call with a break on my next story. Whatever that was.

And I now have 2592 words! dance

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, first paragraph of Whose By-Line Is It Anyway:

I sat at my desk basking in the glow of my latest scoop. “Million Dollar Car Theft Ring Exposed,” the Daily Planet proclaimed. After such a successful story, I figured I deserved a short break, and so, I was working on my novel while I waited for one of my sources to call with a break on my next story. Whatever that was.

And I now have 2592 words! dance
I now feel completely stupid because I typed this entry under my sister's logon... wallbash

I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
4026, and I'm off to bed. Because I'll be on vacation for five days in mid-November, I'm shooting for 2000 words each day--while continuing to do my work, stay up with grading, and keep a basically clean house. So far, it's working, but we'll see what happens next week. Happy writing tomorrow, everyone.

Sheila Harper

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
First line:
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
goofy

I'm in awe reading your entries so far. I simply cannot write this way. I'm the Rewrite Queen. It's just NOT possible for me to progress to paragraph two until I've wrestled paragraph one into the dust with endless rewrites until every single word is...just...so... Believe me, I've tried.

I'll just get the pompoms out and go 'whoo whoo - go authors!' instead.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Aromassa:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, first paragraph of Whose By-Line Is It Anyway:

And I now have 2592 words! thumbsup

Give me the credit, give me the credit!

laugh laugh laugh

Lexy [Linked Image]

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
razz @ Lexy

I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard