Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by LaraMoon:
Everything you type into your file you call "novel" in November counts. This means:

[b]Includable

Title
Dedications
Introductions
Forewords
Afterwords
Epigraphs
Prefaces
Author's Notes
Endnotes
Footnotes
Appendices
Chapter titles
The actual prose

Things you probably shouldn't count:

Headers
Footers
Page Numbers

If you are quoting other works (such as lyrics, poems, movies, plays, books, etc.) you MAY count them towards your final word count goal. (Whether or not the items are copyright and you're allowed to publish your book with such exerpts is an entirely different matter.)

I don't see why the author's name wouldn't count, but I'm leaving that up to you.
[/b]
James rubs his hands together and laughs evil ily.

I have not yet given up the fight!!!!

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
11:39pm Central time: 27321

That is 2797 actual words [although I may have written a sentence or two in another part of the fic but I don't remember]. I wrote the end. It just came to me smile . Now to finish filling in the middle...

That 2797 doesn't include uncontracting contractions or the author's note...
Carol [who may write some more]

1:07 am: 28032

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So, um... I just uncontracted all the contractions and - poof! just like magic, I have 2000 more words. haha! I should so have done this before.

Carol, you are so making my Christmas card list this year! *giggles*

*does a little 42000-words happy dance*

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by LaraMoon:

Carol, you are so making my Christmas card list this year! *giggles*

It was on one of the emails I got - DO NOT USE CONTRACTIONS! So I undid all of them. The sentences sound so weird and stilted. /me goes to find one. Like something from a Dick and Jane book.

"I am Lois Lane."

"I am Clark Kent."

"I do not know, Clark. I just do not know."

The fun part is going to be recontracting them *rolleyes*.
Carol

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
heh. It made me realize that I'd been using things in a way that's not right like "Why'd you think I did?" *rolls eyes at self* -- and some sentences actually sound better without the contractions. Not all of 'em, but several. Which is a great thing, really. smile

....and, that gave me a real big high, so I started writing on my lunch hour and got a full scene done that's really good. Stupidly forgot to take a word count before I removed the USB key from the slot, though... I'll get it later. smile

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I've left all of my contractions in. I want to be able to post this thing when I'm done, so I'm trying to do it correctly the first time. If I have to, I'll just paste my first (unrelated) story back in as a far-out dream sequence and get an instant 6096 words.

BTW, in the elementary section of the boards they encourage the authors to write an "about the author" section at the end. It makes for a better book when the teacher prints it out at the end of the project.

If their words count, I bet it could count for us, too. wink

Elisabeth

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
/me grabs everyone and twirls them around the thread

Over 30000!!!!

My Word file says 30005 but the NaNo site says 30094. Think I'll go with their's... wink .

Off to bed...
Carol

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
11 days of silence and my muse pops up and says... "Hey let's write!"

I wrote 6,093 words today and if I write 6628 words per day I can make it.

I don't think I will. I foresee me getting lazy. But hey you never know. ^_^

I have no idea where that came from. I could have continued on tonight but I'm sleeping and me and the muse are tired. Eh, I'm doing it for fun now and not to finish but we will see where it goes. I always did wait till the last minute to write term papers in college and did my best work under pressure. Maybe this will be the same.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I won't go back and fix the contractions - though I've had a really huge guilt trip over that. I'm going to try and make up the 2300+ words before Friday night, though.

Congrats to everyone who's getting close to the finish line! And YAY Jojo for starting to write again. Very cool!

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Given my month, I feel no guilt whatsoever about uncontracting everything and writing without them now. Would I love to hit 52000 words to take that into account? Sure, but I'm also realistic. It's unlikely I'm going to crank out 5000 words a day this week so I'll take what I can get. I also do not feel guilty at all [okay maybe just a bit] for resetting my time zone further west because I don't usually get time to get into a groove until 1130-1/130. Is it technically cheating? Yes, but I'm okay with it at the moment given this month. If this had been a normal month then I would either a. feel really bad about it instead of just a little or b. [more likely] not do it at all. Since I spent nearly half the month in the hospital with a 3 month old, I don't feel much guilt about it at all.
Carol

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I'm sorry, but I neeed my contractions! I can't write without them, it's just ... wrong!

[Linked Image]

But hey, to each his own. [Linked Image]

Lexy [Linked Image]

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Oh it is driving me crazy! It truly is, but it is about quantity not quality is what all the emails I keep getting keep telling me smile . Editing is for December!

Carol [32162 according to the official counter, 32066 according to my Word count]

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
The first one in D8aland finished their story today. Unfortunately it was the five-year-old. The seven-year-old will probably finish tomorrow. The 40+-year-old has said he probably won't finish. And then, there's me.

I have so much calling for my attention this week. I need to do lesson plans. I need to read something that I promised would already be read today. I'm going to be out Thursday evening. And I probably should supervise my children. But I'm so darn close...

I also want to shout a word of encouragement to Sheila, James, Carol and Jojo who have had steady progress made to their word counts, usually each day, even though they haven't topped 40K.

Elisabeth
who made 2000 words today

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Thanks for the endcouragement, Elisabeth. I got sick 10 days ago, and the worst part of it is that I feel totally exhausted. I got home from work at 8:30 last night and planned to write. Instead, I went to bed and slept until 7 this morning. Then I took an hour-and-a-half nap this afternoon instead of grading. That's 12 hours of sleep out of the last 24, and since I'm also back at work, I'm not getting much else done.

However, I'm still writing, and I plan to have the rough draft done before the end of the year.

29076 and counting.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
So much for spending all day today [and likely tomorrow] writing...

DH woke me up at 430ish in incredible pain. Spent several hours at the ER then another 3 at the urologist with a kidney stone.

*sigh*

Official count: 32455

May get some done at church tonight. 75min video in the class we teach - I've seen it about 5 times...
Carol

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
*hugs to everybody!*

laugh laugh laugh

We can do this!

thumbsup thumbsup

Pump up the energy!

dance dance dance

Lexy [Linked Image]

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
CarolM,

Sorry you are having such a crappy time of it.

I am going to finish this thing and I look forward to reading yours as well!

James

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.neilgaiman.com/exclusive/nanowrimo/badge.php?uid=200538&offset=-6[/img]

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
Sorry to hear about your rough time, Sheila. The exhaustion can sometimes be just as tough as the illness.

And sorry to hear about your husband, Carol. The two of you have had such a rough couple of months. And stones are painful, too. I'll keep you all in our prayers.

We had our second one cross the finish line in D8aland today. My 7-yr-old finished up. Both of the girls are happy to be done and proud to have written a few words more than they had originally pledged. I thought my 7-yr-old was going to quit at the end of last week, but she made it with a top-notch story.

I have an extremely busy day tomorrow, so I may not get any words in. We'll see how things work out. Either way, I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far.

Elisabeth

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
i wrote about 300 words last night. that's it for yesterday. and a bunch of what i wrote may get mass deleted [do you guys really want to hear lois and clark reading trivial pursuit questions?]. They are going to play 'ungame' once DH brings it home - that should spark good conversation rather than just reading TP questions [though it worked well when they were playing with perry and alice and jimmy and lucy]. i have 17xxx words to write and probably 10 hours to do it in... remotely possible but unlikely when you consider everything else i'll have to do in those hours. DH normally is gone all day thurs but will be home for about 6.5 hours he normally wouldn't betoday since he's only teaching and not working too.

i may end up writing a bunch of crap and mass deleting later. we'll see. i really want to finish this - i'd rather it be decent and finished, but i'll settle for finished at the moment.

december is for editing right?!?!

Carol 32703

[edit: beat yesterday's word total already with 408 at the moment for a total of 33149]

Edit, 1144AM Central: 10 sentence summary is
"Clark..." "Clark? "Clark?" "Clark! Clark! "Clark?" Clark?"

"Clark?"

"Clark." "Clark!

1667 words today, official word count: 34519

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Okay - this warranted it's own post.

GO AROMASSA!!!!!!

Am so proud of you for finishing! Early even!

YAY!

Carol [who runs back to her fic file]

Edit, 3pm Central: 5086 official words today, 37541 total. 3686 more words today and I will be half done from where I was this morning, with 8773 words to do tomorrow. Is it possible? Maybe. Likely? Who knows...

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard