Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#157076 10/24/07 09:40 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
After reading the recent threads which tend to be wandering off topic onto the question of feedback, I’m starting to wonder if some of the problem with feedback on these boards tends to be about expectations.

In the thread, 'How Much Slack Should Bad Clark Be Cut?', I thought Alcyone made a very good point.

It depends also what function you see the board play. Some people use it to beta for them.
Most of my stories get sent directly to the archives, and I tend to use these boards for a very different purpose. When I post a story here, it’s because I’m wanting a different type of dialogue with the reader. I’m wanting to know if they are reacting to the story the way I intended. I’m wanting to know if they are following what I’m trying to do. I’m wanting to know if they see things that need to be fixed or issues that I need to deal with or, at least, consider.

As a result, I tend to rewrite the story as I’m posting - responding to feedback. So I tend to want criticism and comments that can help me improve the story.

On the other hand, when I send a story directly to the archives, as far as I’m concerned, the story is finished. So if you send me feedback then saying that I lost you somewhere along the way or I have a big plot hole, I’m not likely to do anything about it.

So... what I’m wondering is this: is there some way that on these boards we could institute some kind of feedback rating system so that the writer can tell the reader what type of feedback they want? It could go all the way from ‘positive only’ to ‘anything and everything welcome.’ (Although, not sure I’d have the courage to say anything and everything welcome blush ). I’d be interested to know what others think - or if this is a really stupid idea (which, I admit, it might be laugh ).

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#157077 10/24/07 09:57 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, it's not a stupid idea - because it's been part of the intended ethos of this forum since we began them. So the admins would have to be thinking up stupid ideas, too. laugh

I don't think, personally, that there's any need for a formal system - it's always been the case on this forum that an author can include an author's note at the start of the story stating exactly what type of feedback they wish to receive and readers are always encouraged to adhere to the author's wishes in this.

Nothing has changed. It's entirely up to the author to state what they want when they post the story and it's entirely their choice as to what level of fdk they want. Anything from 'no fdk, please' to 'please point out typos and give this a thorough grammar check' and everything in between. Even, 'I welcome feedback, but could you send any beta remarks on typos or pointing out of plot holes privately by email' We're sure that readers will oblige.

I think if we start to get into the area of formalising this, we start to get into rules and regulations and - as you might have noticed - we tend to be rules light here and keep them to a minimum. laugh And it seems a little bit of unnecessary extra work when I don't think there'd be a problem with readers obliging an author's request. I doubt there's anyone here who would be mean enough to ignore a specifically stated request and give fdk not welcome by an author.

So, we would certainly encourage authors to put a note at the start of their story if they want or need something specific from their readers. Don't be afraid that you'd be stepping over some unspoken line or doing something wrong. It's your story - your choice.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#157078 10/24/07 11:08 AM
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I like how you stated the differences you see between posting a story on these boards and directly on the archive, MLT. I agree that it is first of all more fun and yes also rewarding as an author to post on here simply because the story becomes interactive among fans and you not only get to read opinions, get to know some fellow folc story preferences, but perhaps gain an idea or two as to how your story might be emberllished or added onto in a way you never thought of.

LabRat, you have my vote on what you just wrote, lol. There's enough formality, red tape, and rules out there in our "real" lives that these boards ought to remain a much more friendly, genuine, and laid back type of place.

My 2 cents.

Mona, who is * really * now going to try and add on to her story.

#157079 10/24/07 12:06 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
For me, I was always open to any sort of comments and critiques that any reader might have wished to offer.

But like, as I'd guess, most writers my main 'need' to post stories here on the boards is
to receive the support and encouragement I would get to keep me writing. I've never been able to write just for myself. Given the traditionally poor feedback response to stories just posted to the archives it would be like writing in a vacuum. I need to know that someone has read my story and that if affected them in some way. It doesn't even have to be a positive reaction.

Getting back to the point. If a writer is looking for specific kinds of feedback then to me the simplist way to accomplish that is to be the one to start the feedback folder. There you can layout just what you are looking for, and hopefully the gentle readers will be able to provide you with what you desire in amongst all the gushing praise that you secretly want to read also.

Tank (who thinks that anytime MLT finishes a story and posts it directly to the archives that she should post a note on this board saying that she has so that those who don't frequently 'just check out' the archives will know to head on over and 'check it out')

#157080 10/24/07 02:37 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Yup, I suppose I'm the other extreme in terms of my relationship to the archive. I haven't sent any of my stories in (for various reasons, not just my laziness), so this forum is my end all when I decide to post and like any other writer I thrive out of how what I write is read in the moment. Even more so now that I recognize who some (if not most) of the readers are (that makes me sound like a stalker doesn't it...darn). And when I see some of them stick around, well...that in itself makes the nightmarish, doubt-ridden process of writing worth it or extremely satisfying at the very least, even if at the end I didn't meet their expectations (usually when I post my story has been gotten at by betas and the plotline is pretty written in stone, so I can understand the rigidity there). But as long as I hear that nicely, I don't think anything can trump the gratitude that in all the good stuff out there someone has chosen to read my stuff and give it a shot.

It sounds corny, but it's true. smile

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard