Print Thread
#156889 10/13/07 10:25 AM
Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
I was just wondering if most all the wonderful fics on the archive orginally came from these very boards or if they are a separate entity. Not a question of any consequence just as I said was wondering. smile

#156890 10/13/07 03:23 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Hey, Mona! goofy

I think the boards have definitely exploded the idea of fanfiction, which is what has made the archive grow tremendously since its beginning. Yay for the boards! I used to sit and wait for more fanfic to be emailed to me because there just wasn't enough - I'd read it all! (I used to have the whole archive read - back when it was around 300 stories and slowly climbing. wink ) Now there are over 3,000! eek And I'm sure I'll never catch up. blush

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#156891 10/13/07 05:16 PM
Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
wave Back at you Sara. I "remember" you from stories of old? And hey Rhen's name does strike a bell as well. Maybe from when I first discovered L and C fan fic in '95. Anyway, thanks for the info. I guess stories are not magically transported from here to there then. There just seems to be some on both places and some not that's why I was asking.

Anyway, it is truly time for me to get off this thing now.

Mona

#156892 10/13/07 05:31 PM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Here is the official thread about archiving stories, but you [the ubiquitous 'you' - did I use that right - it's too late smile ] don't have to.

Reminds me - I found one on the fanfic index that I never submitted... You'll get it soon Labby smile .
Carol

#156893 10/14/07 12:53 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I guess stories are not magically transported from here to there then.
No, that's right, Mona. Here in FoLCdom, we've never gone in for automatic archiving, as a lot of other fandoms do with their fanfic. There are many out there where if the authors don't want their stories archived on various sites, they have to specify on the story itself which sites they allow or that they don't allow any.

I guess we never did that because we put in that extra level that few other fandoms do - we pass all submitted stories to an editor to polish up the grammar, punctuation, typos before they're uploaded. And that seems to be something that needs the participation and consent of the author. We've never felt that we could just go do that without their involvement.

Plus, we've always been kind of hot generally in FoLCdom about the author's rights and I think the feeling was, too, that it was a right of theirs to decide where their stories ended up being posted and that they should actively choose to submit a story, rather than having to opt out of having it done for them.

Years ago, the link between the boards and the Archive was much stronger and most stories made their way there, but over time things have loosened up and it's not so 'automatic' anymore.

We have been aided in that though just in the last couple of years by one of the Index Crew, who now very kindly sends me a list in January of all the stories posted on the mbs but not submitted to the Archive for the previous year. I've had great success mailing the authors and reminding them that their stories would be welcome if they care to submit them, with most of the list being submitted then. Which is really cool! laugh Not only does it net us those missing stories, but it's a lovely boost at the start of the year to get a large pile of stories submitted at once in a month that's usually very quiet.

Reminds me - I found one on the fanfic index that I never submitted...
What?! Carol! I'm shocked! Shocked and appalled, I tells ya! How could you be so mean, depriving that poor Archive like that? Shame on you! Shame! (I need a wagging finger icon here)

You'll get it soon Labby
Thanks! laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#156894 10/14/07 01:10 AM
C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
I think I found lcfanfic in the year 2000, then joined annesplace in 2003. (don't remember exactly when)

But I have often wondered how to post a story directly to these sites, though I do know that they go through a random editor etc etc. i used to start a story, leave it incomplete and start another. i have nearly a dozen such.

That is one of the reasons I was thrilled when I found these boards (lcficmbs, zoomway)

anyway can i mail the stories to annesplace without beta-ing as well or what? i know the site does insist on a beta!

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
#156895 10/14/07 07:38 AM
Z
Zoar3 Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Z
Lab Rat, you continue to amaze, lol. Thank you for your very thorough answer. I agree that each author should get to chose any story they might want to submit to the archive. I can definitely understand also how if each and every tale on here ended up there, well let's just say the good people who make that awesome archive happen probably would be wlel flying for Metroplois righ about now to escape! smile

#156896 10/14/07 07:51 AM
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Originally posted by LabRat:

Reminds me - I found one on the fanfic index that I never submitted...
What?! Carol! I'm shocked! Shocked and appalled, I tells ya! How could you be so mean, depriving that poor Archive like that? Shame on you! Shame! (I need a wagging finger icon here)

Well, see I was reading another fic and with a spinny revelation and someone said "Hey I've never read that before" and I thought, 'but wait, I did that' [not to imply that that person should have read all of my fic - I mean s/he should have but that's not what I'm trying to imply wink ]. Since I had just reread virtually everything of mine on the archive [since I lost most of it when the computer died *coughfouryearsagocough*] and I didn't remember it, so I went to the index and sure enough...

And, er, that reminds me that I have a couple others too... More recent ones...

Carol [who watched SG last night and wished the Rats - not be confused with THE Rat - would have affected CK/Supes longer because DC does little kid so well]

#156897 10/14/07 09:22 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I can definitely understand also how if each and every tale on here ended up there, well let's just say the good people who make that awesome archive happen probably would be wlel flying for Metroplois righ about now to escape!
Oh gosh no. We can't get enough submissions on the Archive! laugh The more the merrier!

Carol, I've saved a cosy little spot in my submissions mailbox just for your stories. They have their own cushions and chocolate supply and everything. So, whenever they want to wander on over... wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#156898 10/15/07 03:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Here in FoLCdom, we've never gone in for automatic archiving
Technically speaking, that's not quite true. Back in the early days of the Archive, before GEs (heck, before the archive's short-lived Beta Reader referral service which grew into the GE system), the Archive was just that... an archive of all stories posted to Rhen's ficlist. Mail something off to the list, and as soon as it was done (this was also back in the day when a 4-parter was huge), there it'd be on the archive, which was just a list of stories (by filename) available for download.

I didn't understand the point of it, then. Why bother going to this page the mysterious "internet" which existed outside of my ISP when I had a perfectly good archive in a folder of my email program?

Ahh, the good old days. laugh

But what I really came to say was...

Carol, I've saved a cosy little spot in my submissions mailbox just for your stories. They have their own cushions and chocolate supply and everything. So, whenever they want to wander on over... wink
Ooo! Nice!

(Note to self: Get a "Carol Fic" costume and sneak over to Lab's inbox.)

(Hey, maybe that's what I can be for Halloween. Although "Matches Malone" would be easier to put together. Meh, first I need to find a place and reason to wear a costume...)

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#156899 10/15/07 04:42 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There is a fic where the first time Lois and Clark meet they're both undercover looking into that car theft ring When Larry Met Charlie . Also one where she deals with Nightwing as Dick Grayson The Bodyguard . I don't think there are any where Lois undercover or otherwise deals with Matches Malone. Sets it out as bait in an author trap.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard