Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yes, I know. I'd like to start up another contest. peep I was interested in the "Guess the Writer" contest mentioned earlier when we were discussing things for the ficathon and so I did a search and found the original contest info here . Lynn M originally organized it and as far as I gathered, what she did was assign a very broad topic (Lois and Clark get a pet) and then authors sent her their stories. Lynn then posted the all the stories she receieved as "Title by Author X." She made a different thread for people to guess who wrote each one and then tallied up the results at the end. Whoever guessed the most correctly won. smile I thought it looked really fun, but I'd just like to test the waters and see if people here would be interested in reading/participating. Even if you don't write, you could take a guess at the writers themselves. I understand many of the authors in the previous contest resorted to subterfuge and trickery by writing multiple stories, not saying they wrote their own in their guesses, ect. Anyway, I wouldn't mind running it, so.... yeah, as I said, this isn't official, just testing to see if there's any interest. smile If there is, I'll start working on a real sign up thread.

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love to guess. smile

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It was fun the first time. I'm too far out of the loop to guess again (I haven't been reading lately), but I have thought every now and again that it was fun and we should do it again.

For the record, I was the only one to write multiple stories. We'd talked about it in the set-up thread, and Lynn said we could write one or two stories. I was expecting that others would, too. I was also hoping to write them in different styles, but it didn't quite work out that way. *shrug* You write what comes to you.

Anyway, if you're up for doing it... go for it! smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh! I'll play! I love games. I love quizzes.

....I am such a nerd!!!

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Columnist
Columnist
I'd be interested--although I'm not sure that my writing would be that recognisable, seeing as how I haven't written much here yet.

But what the heck! Sounds like fun!

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hyper hyper

*cough*

Um, sure. Why not? smile

~•~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
It'd be a great way to get my feet wet again, although I'm sure I'd be rubbish at guessing everybody else's. laugh Go for it, Laura!

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Funnily enough, I was thinking about GTW just the other day. It was a lot of fun last time around. Go for it!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Features Writer
Features Writer
Sounds like fun!

Clark: "You don't even know the meaning of the word 'humility,' do you?"

Lois: "Never had a need to find out its meaning."

"Curiosity... The Continuing Saga"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oooh... Sounds like fun to me.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Okay, awesome. smile I'll try to have the challenge threat set up later today. As for now, school beckons. *big sigh.*

OH! If anyone has some ideas regarding what the topic should be, write them here! I was thinking really general, like "Lois and Clark celebrate a holiday" but that's just me hoping people will write about Halloween! I'd be happy to listen to other suggestions.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Will it be confined to the gfic folder or will nfic be allowed too?

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I don't think I'd be too good at guessing either but will happily play! smile

Mona

Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Will it be confined to the gfic folder or will nfic be allowed too?
I don't know, what do people prefer? Having both like last time might be fun....

Argh, I barely have time to post this right now. Hopefully either later tonight or tomorrow I'll work on the official sign ups! It sounds like there's at least some interest. smile How do people feel about the topic, do they have any suggestions?

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I'd been hoping someone would bring that up again eventually! smile I'll try to participate if you organize it, Laura! smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nfic? It's up to you.

Last time, there was only one, but that's still one more story than we otherwise would have had. Maybe there'll be more this time. WHo knows?

As with any other nfic, if you want to read/write it, you can. If you don't, you don't have to.

It does mean a little more work for you. Not much, but you'd have a couple more threads to post and track, another forum to post in, a little more to organize, etc.

If you're open to the idea - if you don't mind reading nfic and having a little more to juggle - then I'd be in favor of it. I don't read nfic, but whether there's another story there for me to ignore or not doesn't make a difference to me. Meantime, there seems to be some interest in it from others. Or, if there isn't, then it's moot because there won't be a story to post.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Features Writer
Features Writer
How do people feel about the topic, do they have any suggestions?
I think this is a fun idea. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some of the guessing. I think I could pick out some of my faves with my eyes closed because I obsess over their writing like a twelve-teen girl over a boy band, but I digress...

I think a more specific prompt would be funner in terms of showing off a specific style. For instance instead of just Halloween/holiday, how about Lois and Clark go buy a costume for Halloween? That way we can see more clearly how the stories differ from each other while being able to tell a general base. It'd be fun to see how creative people can be within those limits. Otherwise it differs little from one of those "theme challenges."

Just my two cents smile

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I think a more specific prompt would be funner in terms of showing off a specific style. For instance instead of just Halloween/holiday, how about Lois and Clark go buy a costume for Halloween? That way we can see more clearly how the stories differ from each other while being able to tell a general base. It'd be fun to see how creative people can be within those limits. Otherwise it differs little from one of those "theme challenges."
Definitely a good point, however Caroline brought up an excellent point--Halloween is only two weeks away. I should probably stray from directly referencing the holiday, as some people could not get me their piece in such a short of time. However that costume idea sounds really fun... Maybe... Lois and Clark could simply have to buy each other a costume? You pick the reason? Hm... something to think about, because that idea cracks me up.

Features Writer
Features Writer
Lois and Clark could simply have to buy each other a costume? You pick the reason?
Ooh. Sounds good to me.

alcyone

Top Banana
Top Banana
Would people think it dorky or crazy if I actually offered to donate a prize to the person who correctly guesses the most stories?

I think it would be fun to encourage more people to participate and my live journal communities have offered little prizes here and there to drum up interest.

Dorky? Uninterested? Uncomfortable with the idea?

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Features Writer
Features Writer
Aww...I think it's generous of you and really sweet. I think people would be into it. smile

alcyone

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
What's the deadline, and how do we submit the stories? confused

~•~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
All you need to know is in the thread right next to this one, Mary. wink

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by LabRat:
All you need to know is in the thread right next to this one, Mary. wink

Ah, I see. Thanks Labby! smile

*scampers off to the other thread*

~•~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard