Print Thread
#156629 10/04/07 01:36 AM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
IIRC - Clark is Martha's maiden name. I have no idea if it's actual canon [L/C or Superman in general etc.] or fanon or what. Are there any other names known? Her parent's names or Jonathan's? Or anyone else? I'd like to find a family name but one that wouldn't automatically be associated with the Kents to someone who didn't know them well [like Jonathan for instance - even Lois would make that connection!].

Any ideas? TIA
Carol

#156630 10/04/07 01:52 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Clark is Martha's maiden name - that's canon, from the comics (and the movies)

According to Smallville - and I do believe that in the Superboy comics they used the same name - Jonathan's father's name is Hiram Kent.

That's as much as I could find, though.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#156631 10/04/07 04:15 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
For another story I'm doing (and I might use it here too)- (This is derived from various silver age comics, and the Kents)

Ely Kent was a revolutionary era blacksmith, his son Joshua was a barge captain on the Erie Canal. His son Silas was a Boston publisher, (wife named Abigail Colter). Silas and his two older sons (Nathaniel and Jebediah) moved to Kansas prior to the Civil War (Silas was firmly pro-abolitionist and was murdered for his opinions). Nathaniel and Jebediah ended up on opposite sides during the war and Jebediah ran with Quantril's raiders. Nathaniel became a sheriff, married Mary Glenowen (Who was half Welsh and half Delaware) and ended up in Smallville. Jebediah ended up dead after a foiled attempt to rob the Smallville bank in 1874.

We aren't given the names of Nathaniel's and Mary's children so a generation is missing, but they had at least one boy and one girl.
Jonathan's father's name is given as both Hiram and Matthew (depending on source). I haven't found a name for Jonathan's mother.

In the silver age comics, Jonathan had a brother named George who was a merchant seaman and died when Clark was young. He also had a sister named Minerva who ended up marrying Zachary Barnes late in her life.

In LnC, Clark (or either Martha or Jonathan) has an Aunt Opal in Metropolis.

Smallville has Martha's father's name as William Clark, no name given for his wife.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#156632 10/04/07 04:25 AM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
okay - a lot of that jives with what I found on the Kent Farm website for Smallville [which I generally avoid].

Kent Farm

I think quite a bit of that will work for me - including at least one name that jumped out as a possibility smile .

Thanks!!!
Carol

#156633 10/07/07 09:16 AM
E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
I can't remember what the names were for Clark's ancesters, but we also learned about them when Tempus visited 19th century Kansas.

Elisabeth

#156634 10/07/07 10:22 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Elisabeth:
I can't remember what the names were for Clark's ancesters, but we also learned about them when Tempus visited 19th century Kansas.

Elisabeth
In Tempus Fugitive, in 1866 there was a Marshall Kent (no first name). Miss Martha (no last name) ran the saloon. Clark identifies them as his great-great-grandparents. However, Clark would have 8 sets of great-great-grandparents. Who's to say that Marshall Kent's son or daughter didn't marry one of Nathaniel's kids? Kent is not an unusual name. (We shouldn't even assume that the Marshall and 'Miss' Martha ended up married to one another - she may have married a Clark and is an ancestor on Martha's side of the family.)

Smallville has Jonathon's mother's name as Jessica. One point to remember: the L&C Clark is 41 in 2007. The Smallville Clark is about 21. Therefore nearly everybody in the L&C universe is 20 years older than their Smallville equivalents.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard