Print Thread
#156619 09/30/07 05:47 PM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
Okay - so I've been out of lurkdom for a while again and I've opened a fic file and even written in it smile .

And now I'm looking for a new beta frown . The frown is because all my old ones have moved on and I miss them, but I am am looking forward to [hopefully] getting to know a new one or two smile . JoJo has already graciously agreed to beta for me and has read this and given some great suggestions.

I've got about 24 pages written of this latest fic [7 pages Prologue, 12 pages Chapter 1, 7 pages of unfinished Chapter 2]. It needs work and quite a bit of it needs advice - removing redundancies, reworking awkward scenes etc. - JoJo has already given me some FABULOUS thoughts on that but I haven't gotten them done yet - trying to get the muse working on something new rather than trying to tweak old stuff.

Warnings: This is a very busy semester for me. I am teaching four classes with two new textbooks to work from [and therefore all new lecture notes etc.] and one of them just had 60 years added to it [US Hist II used to go to WWII, now goes to the present *sigh*] so that takes priority. I'm also getting ready to start a grad course [that won't last too long but will require a lot of writing]. With all of that it's entirely possible that it will be quite a while before this sees the light of day and that days or weeks could go by when I don't write anything. I also have a newborn, of course, and 3 other kids, ages 6 and under.

All that said... smile I'm very excited about this fic and can't wait to see where the muse goes with it. My hope is that I'll be able to use it as a break from all the other less fun stuff - like the 15 page paper I'm going to have to do on church-state relations smile .

What I need help with: general characterizations, plot brainstorming type stuff, a title because the working one stinks and the one I thought of already has two on the archive [I know, I know, no rule about that but still...]. Oh and a name for one of the characters because I don't like mine and JoJo doesn't either but we haven't come up with anything else yet. It's going to be moderately long when it's all said and done [it's already 24 pages and not even really ramped up yet - could be my longest fic yet] and I won't start posting until I have LOTS of it done already because I don't want to get in the middle of it and then lose the buffer and not have time to work on it. I do expect next semester to be easier if I don't have this done by then. I should only be teaching one course [four classes, one course] and won't have the grad class and hopefully DS9w will be on a schedule and such by then.

I'm not going to mention the basic premise etc., because I don't want it out there for public consumption yet, but it is an elseworlds/alt universe fic [I can never keep those straight], but not a universe we saw on the show. It's more drama than anything which scares me a bit as my vignettes/comedy pieces tend to be better IMO and I'd really like this one to come out well because I think it's a great premise and I really want to do it justice.

So if you're interested and I haven't scared you off yet, I'd love to have one or two more betas willing to help with those things smile .

Thanks smile .
Carol

#156620 10/02/07 06:25 AM
C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
What exactly is a beta? (sorry, am really new here) Guesswork - does that have something to do with friends-network? I have frequently come across the word but don't know what it exactly means?!

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
#156621 10/02/07 06:35 AM
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Coolgirl, welcome to the boards!

A beta reader is a writer's editor, cheerleader and provider of tough love. They check your grammar, tell you which plot points work and which ones don't and hopefully laugh and cry in all the right places. It can be a very short relationship (i.e. "I wrote a 2000 word fic, can you do a quick edit for me, I want to post it on the boards in 10 minutes!") or a very long one (i.e. "I'm planning to write the Next Great Superman Epic, can you brainstorm with me for approximately the next 2.5 years?" smile )

Here is a link to the archive FAQ about beta readers:

http://www.lcfanfic.com/faq_archive.html#gesandbetas

Hope this helps!
Lisa

lisa in the sky with diamonds
#156622 10/02/07 08:22 AM
C
Features Writer
Features Writer
C
Oh! I get it!
Must be tough, especially that 10 minutes deadline!

Can't even dream of it, with my two kids (and a husband to pamper) taking up almost all of my time. As it is, the only free time I get is when they are asleep (the kids, of course)

And to think I was dreaming of writing my own stories (ha ha ha). I think I ll stick to just reading the stories and commenting (for now???).

But this is really exciting, I mean finding this website when I have almost finished all the stories in nfanfic archive.

CG
------------

( oo * Work) + (1 * Hubby) + (2 * Kids) = 0 * Time
#156623 10/02/07 10:25 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
CAROL!!!!!!!!

Call me soon!!!

I'm still here, but I've been working like crazy - 58 hours last week! But things are lightening up.

Maybe we can beat each other over the head to write!

Sheila, if you read this, I have something for you!!! smile1

Missy

#156624 10/02/07 10:51 AM
C
carolm Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
C
MISSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

party party party

The last time I tried to call you I got some guy speaking Spanish who didn't know a Missy [I think...]

I will try though smile .

Yes - let's knock each other over the head!!!

Trying to call now...
Carol

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard