Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
If I rewrote an episode from a completely different show to fit with Lois & Clark, would it be classed as plagiarism?

Especially if I plan to keep the majority of the dialogue intact. I don't have the script for this episode, so everything written outside the speechmarks would be mine.

I was home eating chocolate—cottage cheese.
Chocolate flavoured cottage cheese. It's a new flav—
I was doing my laundry.

—Lois Lane
Top Banana
Top Banana
I am hardly an expert here but here's my two cents. Make absolutely sure you give credit where credit it due - you're lifting material from another source and those writers need credit.

Around here, rewriting a L&C episode is part of the fandom and most of us recognize the source material.

Taking from another source or fandom is far more iffy. And frankly, if you think its wrong, you're probably right.

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What Dandello said. The main point of plagiarism is to pass off someone else's work as your own and take credit for their hard work.

With material gleaned from LNC episodes, if you post it here there's not much chance of that as most readers will recognise the source. Even so, many authors put in an author's note crediting the source and original writers, just to be polite. But there's no problem with using LNC material.

So long as you give due credit as to your source, make it clear you're using another person's material and don't try to pass it off as your own work, there's no real problem with using material from another show either. That goes, incidentally, for any source material other than your own - be it from TV, movies, books...whatever. Always credit and you should stay out of trouble.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard