Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#156429 09/04/07 09:58 AM
kmar Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I have 18 stories on my hard drive that have not had a new chapter posted in a long, long, long time. I was wondering if the authors were planning on finishing them. I don't know if I should keep these -because they will be finished in my life time - or trash them because the authors either don't plan to finish them are might maybe some year finish them maybe if the whim hits them. Here is the list:

A Hero To Write About
A Million Little Pieces
A New Hero
Back and Forth
Cleaing the Record
From The Dark
Identity Crises
Just A Normal(Super) Family
Mad Dog Lane, Ultra Woman, et al.
Near Wild Heaven II
Phermone, My Lovely
Super Shook Up
The Adventures Of Clara Ellen Lane
The Girl's Not Attractive
The Phantom of the Planet
The Pitfalls & Pleasantries
Through A Glass Darkly
Woman In The Mirror

No postings to these stories from 3 months to over 1 year. Would love to see them finished since I have read bits and pieces.

#156430 09/04/07 10:36 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Clearing The Record has just been very slow going - it's like the kids don't want to cooperate but I do hope to have another section done soonish. blush

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
#156431 09/04/07 10:39 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Oooo! *hugs her story*

"From the Dark" definately will be continued. My brain's just trying to figure out what to do with it, and work's not making it very easy... hopefully I'll have the next part out soon though! laugh

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#156432 09/04/07 08:06 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I promise that A New Hero will be finished and I'm working on it as I speak! (And I'm honored that you actually have my story on your hard drive.)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#156433 09/05/07 03:42 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I had thought one of those was complete, so I did a search on "The Adventures of Clara Ellen Lane" and it's finished. Nine parts, although Ann hinted at an epilogue. I didn't check for it, but if you beg and plead and nag I'd bet she'll either post it or point it out to us. It's an interesting story.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#156434 09/05/07 05:57 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Ummmmm. Seems like there won't be an epilogue. Sorry.

Ann

#156435 09/05/07 10:15 PM
kmar Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
The reason I thought The Adventures of Clara wasn't finished is because I checked every story in the FanFic index and it says the story will have 11 parts and that it was incomplete. Maybe that should be changed so other people will know that it is a complete story. I don't read stories until they are complete so if I hadn't been downloading as they were posted I wouldn't have paid any attention to it being listed as an incomplete story.

Sorry it was included in the list.

#156436 09/06/07 01:32 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
*shuffles feet shamefacedly* blush blush

Well, I think I may hate myself if I haven't posted at least the next five chapter of WitM within this year, but the thing is, there be Obstacles I had not foreseen.

The first obstacle is that I need lots of peace and free time for writing, and I don't have that right now, and will probably not have it for the foreseeable future. Between my job and my SATs and IELTS and proof-reading for my Professor and working on my essays, not to mention the fact I'm supposed to be tranferring to Canada in Jan...well, the last time I tried to squeeze fanfic in, I nearly failed my mid-terms. I wish I was one of those work horses who can deal with this stuff out of hand but alas!

I could still overcome it all if not for the second calamity, which is that I am going through my yearly phase wherein I move away from LnC fandom for Harry Potter fandom. I've been gravitating between the two fandoms for the past 8 years. I'm still in my post-Deathly Hallows fanfic mania, which means any part of my mental capacity I could be using to work on WitM is spilling over with Harry Potter plot bunnies. So it's going to be a while before my muse comes back around to concentrating on LnC.

To get to my point, this story has been brewing in my head for years and MUST be let out. So no, I'm not going to abandon the story. However, I can't quite say when I'm going to begin reposting, especially as I want to be at least ten chapters ahead when I do, so as to avoid a stiuation like this again.

But thanks for your interest, kmar! If you like, I've posted a preview of WitM 3 on Livejournal, just to assure everybody that it did exist. laugh
It's simply a few disjointed scenes though.
http://community.livejournal.com/cloisfic/6289.html

β€œIs he dead, Lois?”

β€œNo! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
#156437 09/22/07 08:52 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
*Shuffles feet shamefully as well...*

I've just posted an update in the feedback folder for NWH II... but yes, me bad. blush The good thing is that I'm writing again... the bad thing is that so far, it's not for L&C... but that might change. wink

Kae smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#156438 09/30/07 10:37 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
*hugs her story, too*

I will finish Super Shook Up. I will, I will!! I just... need a little more time, is all. (And I desperately need to find my muse! Little bugger went on vacation without me, I think. razz )

I do have a part and a half more written that the four I've posted, but I really don't want to start posting again until it's good and finished (which means probably another 2 parts, I think).

Sara peep

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
πŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts πŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#156439 10/01/07 07:48 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I probably won't do any more of 'Phantom of the Planet'. It was just an experiment to see if I could blend two timeless, endearing love stories: the lonely, alienated(no pun int.)/disfigured outcast, the woman he loves, and the rich guy he has to fight for her affection.

I had fun writing the first two parts, but didn't get a lot of fdk, so I figured people thought it was a bad idea :rolleyes: . So there won't be any more of that. I'll try to concentrate on one of my others. I'm even thinking of trying a short story in Spanish.

#156440 10/03/07 10:36 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

This is my personal list. Where are you?

1. Running From Happiness by RodStewFan
2. The Longest Road: The Long Road Home by Rac
3. Atonement by Beverly
4. A New Hero by Classicalla
5. The Girl's Not Attractive by ChaaBreh

Please update.

MAF

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#156441 10/03/07 10:51 AM
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Hey Windfall,

If I failed to finish stories for lack of feedback, the last several I wrote would be lying partially written on my hard drive. I took so long between some parts because of various real life issues that most people had forgotten about them, or decided to wait until they were done. I also know several people who *never* give feedback until a story is done. Even if only a few people were reading it, it's worth finishing for their sakes.

I recommend you finish Phantom of the Planet if you can. There will be a number of people who will love you for it.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#156442 10/03/07 06:36 PM
kmar Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
Yes, I hate to see any story not finished. But for several reasons I stopped reading any story unless I'm a beta reader for it until it is finished. The reasons are as follows.

1. With months passing between postings it is hard to keep stories straight.

2. Stories not being finished, especially when they are long stories (several hundred KB) and then the author just stops. I like many other readers don't have the time to put in on a story that isn't ever finished. I realized that real life gets in the way but surely at some point things get resolved and the story could be finished.

3. Then the biggest reason is that I printed out all the indexes for stories here (for both fic and nfic) to see if there were finished stories that I hadn't saved from the archives. Well in comparing the list against my harddrive I noticed a substantal number of unfinished stories and a few authors that routinely left stories unfinished. I won't mention names but I'm now making it a point since I started this thread of not even downloading any of the chapters for their stories until the story is finished since it seems unlikely that it will ever been finished by past performance.

SO PLEASE IF YOU HAVE STARTED A STORY FINISH IT. AND IF YOU ARE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH FINDING AN ENDING SAY SO AND I'M SURE YOU CAN GET HELP FROM PEOPLE HERE ON THE BOARDS. EVEN IF YOU CAN'T WRITE (ME) WE CAN COME UP WITH IDEAS TO HELP YOU FIND YOUR ENDING. thumbsup

#156443 10/04/07 07:24 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This is Nan Smith, posting from my daughter's computer.

I think I've said this a number of times but I'll repeat it here. When I started writing stories about L and C, I promised myself and my readers that if I started a story, I would finish it. I've never broken that promise. Sometimes I had to pause for a while due to the chaotic events in my life over the last couple of years but I have always come back and finished. I will *never* leave readers hanging -- barring only acts of God or stepping out in front of a truck. If I make a promise I keep it if it's humanly possible -- which is why I don't make many promises. laugh

Nan

PS: This was in response to kmar <g> who is afraid a story won't be finished. I'm only trying to reassure you, but I can understand your reluctance to read any ongoing story. Even if I''m pretty sure the story will be finished, all the suspense in getting there drives me crazy. Unfortunately, I also am insatiably curious and when I tell myself I'm going to wait until it's done, I've been known to cheat and peek at parts, all the while kicking myself for lack of self control. What can I say? I love L and C ...

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
#156444 10/04/07 09:22 AM
Features Writer
Online Content
Features Writer
There are probably numerous reasons why an author will begin posting a story on the message boards yet not finish it. Sometimes it would be Real Life kicking them in the teeth - and it may not be just one thing, there could be a whole sequence of events that come along to stop the author from working. Sometimes it could be not being sure where to take it from there, as Kmar suggested. Sometimes the author may lose interest in the fandom, or the Muse leaves him/her for an extended amount of time, or even permanently. And of course there are lots of other potential reasons.

I doubt that any author starts posting a story with the deliberate intention of just stopping the story altogether to deliberately leave people dangling. Although sometimes I think the suspense is going to kill me if a great story never is finished, I welcome every story that I've read - finished or unfinished - as a gift. And I appreciate anyone who has the courage to put a piece of themselves out there like that. There are stories that I fear will never be finished that I absolutely adore - and I've reread them, even knowing that I will be left hanging in that same place, just because they are THAT GOOD.

I can certainly understand people's frustration if they feel that they're "wasting time" reading an unfinished story, so it's probably a very good policy for them not to until it has been completely posted. But we should remember that no one ever deliberately sets out to frustrate the reader - things just get in the way sometimes. There have been stories that weren't finished until YEARS after the original postings: "Long Strange Trip" springs instantly to mind. What if we had given L such a hard time about that story that she had decided it wasn't worth trying to finish it? We would have missed a great story...

Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#156445 10/05/07 07:36 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I also know several people who *never* give feedback until a story is done. Even if only a few people were reading it, it's worth finishing for their sakes.

I recommend you finish Phantom of the Planet if you can. There will be a number of people who will love you for it.

Nan
Really? I didn't know there was any continuing interest in it. Don't get me wrong, I don't finish stories *only* if I get tons of fdk, I'm not that selfish or conceited laugh . However in this part. case there didn't seem to be any interest in it at all, *and* I couldn't think of how to continue it(loss of ideas/insp. etc.).

But, if as you say, people would like to see more of "Phantom", there is interest in it, maybe I'll give it some more effort clap .

Allison

#156446 10/05/07 02:59 PM
kmar Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
I was not trying to disparage anyone by my comments. I went back through the FanFic Index and the person with 8 unfinished stories appears to be no longer active on the boards. However, there is an author who is active and writing and has 6 unfinished stories and several others with 3 or 4. I don't write because I can't. Never could write a story. I get ideas but can write them. So if someone has a muse that leaves town I would be glad to offer suggestions. But I feel that a story is the authors art just like a painting is the art of the painter so I'm loathe to offer comments as the people I've beta for known. I'm always apologizing for my suggestions. notworthy

#156447 10/07/07 11:17 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There is also Shayne Terry's wonderful Single White Kryptonian. I thought that that it would never be finished. But it was, eventually.

Speaking as an author who has started a story and didn't finish it frown blush (Wild Wild Tempus, for those that care), I can tell you that my intentions were good, but the muse skipped town. (Actually, it is part of my Seven Days of Superman universe and that one is still churning in my computer's flux capacitor)

As DJ(MetroRhodes)knows, I am working on a rewrite of Seven Days of Superman. I first 'finished' this story Dec, 31st, 1999. I had some really messed up ideas of what I thought I wanted out of the story and and what my audience wanted out of the story. But it wouldn't let me go. I knew there was a better story hiding in that monstrosity and I started working on it waaaayy back in Feb-Mar timeframe of this year. RL majorly interfered and I lost interest for a while. But I am back on looking at it again. laugh (of course during NaNoWriMo, I won't be think of anything other than 'No One to the Rescue?'

I also have several other stories on the burner, as Labby and as one other, Artemis, knows. And one day, I may go back to them.

I have also gone the way of not reading stuff, unless it is complete, or, more recently, at least updated monthly. Over at Twisting the Hellmouth, I have found many wonderful stories, some by {cough}MarcusRowland{cough} that have not been finished and I understand the author's reasons, if they bother to give any, which, at least {cough}MarcusRowland{cough} does laugh .

Long story too long already, Wild Wild Tempus may be finished at some point but it will be after the rewrite, because by then, I will have that universe so whipped into shape it will think it is married.

James, who is really looking forward to writing in NaNoWriMo. I will be playing with a universe that I havn't touched in 22 years, or so.

β€œβ€¦with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard