Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#156340 08/29/07 09:59 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Hi

I started to write a fic but I have difficulties with writing in english and sometimes I've no idea how to continue can someone help me?

Kathryn
#156341 08/29/07 10:36 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm impressed by someone who can write ANYTHING in a language that is not their first. What kind of help do you need?

#156342 08/29/07 10:39 AM
Kerth
Kerth
I really can't help you there, but I have the same problem. Okay, my English is mostly okay, but I can't find it in me to continue my fics. (Not even in German.) Somehow, I just lack inspiration. Or motivation.

Anybody willing to help me, too? grovel

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
#156343 08/29/07 11:06 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Sorry, English is not my first language either and I kind of have the same problem. Mostly my grammar is ok, but I tend to have a lot of trouble finding the right word. But I have the same problem in Dutch, so it might not be a language skill problem goofy

Y'all are going to have to find yourself a muse cool

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#156344 08/29/07 11:34 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Mostly I need some ideas and someone who can correct the worst mistakes, but perhaps can help others.

I just started this fic because I was fascinated by the stories I've read here and I wanted to know if I could write a fic myself laugh

Kathryn
#156345 08/29/07 12:08 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I am amazed by the number of people who post here for whom English is their second language. I wanted to write "Ich spreche kein Deutsch," and I had to look up a couple of the words. (And I'm still not sure I got it right!) But it sounds like some of the problems are with inspiration, not with the language. And, if you'll take advice from a non-writer, remember "Write what you know." Take some aspect of your own life or own experience that is especially meaningful to you and apply it to Lois and Clark. My friends who are writers also set aside a time to write each day. Then get an English-speaking beta who can catch the grammatical errors. And then post!

#156346 08/29/07 12:36 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just a thought, from someone who's written a few fics here and there and has from time to time run out of inspiration wink

Beta-readers are wonderful. You can rely on them to help you with plot, characterisation and spelling/grammar, and also to reassure you when you lose motivation or decide your fic sucks. smile1

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#156347 08/29/07 09:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I am amazed by the number of people who post here for whom English is their second language. I wanted to write "Ich spreche kein Deutsch," and I had to look up a couple of the words. (And I'm still not sure I got it right!)
Well, there is a big difference there. You don't hear German every day in the US. While here, tv is in English, movies are in English, computer programs, internet, manuals, you name it. When you have English around you all the time, you learn it pretty quickly.
They start teaching you from age 10 (I think they were even planning on setting that age to 6, but they never got around with that). And you have to learn a lot of different languages, which are all of the same origin (or mostly), so a lot of vocabulary and grammar is simular.

EDIT: oh, you could also write the story in German (though I'd prefer you do it in English, I want to be able to read it!), and post it on the German boards . Of course, the audience is way smaller there frown

I love the smell of fear in the newsroom.
#156348 08/30/07 09:39 AM
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Well I have an idea in my head and written a part of it.

I took a very important thing which happened a few months ago shortly after I started to write.

And if someone has run out of ideas I would be very happy if I can help.

I really can't help you there, but I have the same problem. Okay, my English is mostly okay, but I can't find it in me to continue my fics. (Not even in German.) Somehow, I just lack inspiration. Or motivation.
Lara Joelle maybe I can help you with the ispiration. If you want me to.

Can someone read my beginning I'd like to hear what you think.

Kathryn

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard