Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#156211 08/20/07 04:10 PM
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Say someone phoned in an anonymous tip that someone had stolen something at a store. Would the police then go to the suspect's house and bring them in for questioning? Would they be able to keep him in questioning? Or do they keep the tip on hand to investigate at a later date? I tried to look this up, but I was having a little trouble sorting through the many responses I got on google. Any help would be really appreciated.

Laura

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
#156212 08/21/07 08:36 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
If you are talking about something like a jewelry store robbery, where the police already have an open case, an anonymous tip MIGHT be enough for them to ask a person to voluntarily come in for questioning. It would not be enough, by itself, for them to hold the person or make an arrest. They would have to develop "probable cause" before arresting the person or getting a search warrant, and an anonymous tip is not enough for probable cause; it MUST be corroborated by other evidence. Depending on the answers the person gave during the interrogation/interview, however, probable cause might develop and then they could make an arrest.

If you are talking about a different type of situation, where the anonymous tip is the only report of the crime, it would depend on the circumstances. The information might just go into an "intelligence" file, or if there was a specific reason the police were interested (such as the impact of the crime, or that the alleged criminal is a political figure), they might investigate further, to determine whether there was enough information to open a case. There are also certain "hotline" situations where people can call in anonymously and the police are required to open an initial investigation, but if they question the alleged criminal without any other investigation first, it almost always results in the subject denying the charges and the police closing the case.

Does this answer your question? Although I am not a lawyer, I do have some background in this area.

#156213 08/21/07 01:01 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Just read your new chapter with Claude phoning in the tip about Clark. I think child sexual abuse, especially by a teacher, is one of those categories where the police would ask him to come in for questioning immediately. They could not force him to come in, but if he refused they could make life very difficult for him, and it would be viewed by the police as an indicator of guilt. It would take more evidence, however, for them to make an actual arrest.

#156214 08/21/07 02:04 PM
Laura S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks so much for the info. Yes, that was exactly what I needed to know. That's what I thought, that a crime like that would be investigated, though no arrests could be made on circumstantial evidence. It's a huge relief to know I wasn't completely off base.

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard