Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
alcyone Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
So Superman is served with an injuction in the episode and he isn't to use his super powers. They managed to get him to jail right after he broke it saving everyone's life. Are injuctions that rigid or can they be contested after the fact (for instance in that ep to take into consideration that he saved everyone?). That is to say, if people hadn't recovered enough to resume right then and there, is there any way that he gets another hearing or whatever instead of going straight to jail?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this. *crosses fingers* This would be a pain to google.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
From what I understand of all the stuff I just speed read through:

He broke the injunction which means the judge finds him in contempt of court. When someone is found in contempt of court, they're either fined or they can be held in jail for a brief period of time. And the fine is usually immediate and "non-negociable" if you see what I mean.

So, basically, she was right to do so and I guess that's why there was another hearing the next day - so he could try and defend his actions.

(ETA: of course I did not go to law school or anything, I just went and read stuff off of a law school's website - same place I take all my legal info. *lol*)

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'll add a ditto in that when one of my friends was in contempt of court last spring <chuckle> (I know, I shouldn't laugh at him), it was completely non-negotiable. But who knows, maybe a lawyer knows the smallest loophole ever...

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
alcyone Offline OP
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks Laramoon!

Just out of curiosity JD (and thanks for helping me with this), was your friend penalized instantly or was there some time like a day, a week before it happened?

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There's a little wiggle room.

For one thing, we don't know the details of New Troy's legal system. Local laws might be a little different than they are elsewhere.

The other trick is that Superman's legal status is, well, if you'll pardon the expression... up in the air. He is, quite literally, an illegal alien. But he's also been given some official recognition, like getting the "key to the city." He might, in a sense, be eligible for diplomatic immunity. Or you could argue that, as a non-citizen of indeterminate status, he needs to be tried at the federal rather than local level.

Or maybe the judge herself, sympathetic as she was to Superman (and skeptical of the claims that led to the injunction) could be persuaded to be lenient.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by alcyone:
Thanks Laramoon!

Just out of curiosity JD (and thanks for helping me with this), was your friend penalized instantly or was there some time like a day, a week before it happened?

alcyone
He was instantly penalized. He got slapped with a fine for talking back to a judge, and he paid it that same day. I didn't get the impression that he had an option of paying it later because it was finals week in college, and he almost missed his government exam for it. And you're so welcome! I'm always happy to recount the tales of my amusing friends.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard