Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Weekly Reading Suggestion Thread

Okay guys, I always see people asking for reading suggestions and I often times see the same stories being suggested over and over. Not that this is bad (I love those stories too) but I also think there are a lot out there that don’t get suggested sometimes. So... I had an idea that will hopefully help people expand their reading on the archive and also give some of us that are bored things to do. So here are the rules to the thread:

1. Anyone can participate. You get one story suggestion per week. It must be LnC related though (of course).

2. You can’t suggest any story that has already been suggested in the thread.

3. If you suggest a story, you have to indicate where you can find the story. Please post a link to it on the archive or let people know what mailing list, board, forum whatever they need to join in order to get access if that is needed.

The idea behind this is that those who are interested will have a small list of stories to read each week. Maybe some of us who have been through the archives a few times will find some new gems. If enough people are interested maybe we could even do mini discussions on those stories in this thread or maybe old feedback threads if there are any on the boards. ^_^ It is totally up to you guys and how excited you actually are about this idea.

So what do you guys think? Good idea? Terrible idea? Should I just go back and hide under my rock?

Week one FDK thread
Week two FDK thread
Week three FDK thread

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'll go first.

My first suggestion is Firestorm by Irene Dutch

I love second generation stories. Adore them. This story is the first in a series of stories that Irene Dutch wrote about Lois and Clark's children and grandchildren. I ate every story in this series up and it is one of my favorite series on the archive. smile Excellent read. ^_^

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
No hiding under rocks, Jojo! You always have great ideas!

My suggestion for the week is Recognition (Truth) by Carol Malo. A very engaging story that I loved!

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ee! I so love this idea. I was thinking about what story to suggest all afternoon. I've finally decided. laugh

Smallville Players by Barb Pillsbury is fantastic.

Thanks to CapeFetish for the awesome icon. smile
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
Great idea, JoJo!

Here's my suggestion: What if the Prince? by Coreen C

http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/prince.txt

I don't suppose the lyrics in this story are to a "real" song? Anyone know?

Mona

Columnist
Columnist
Here's another one. I just loved this story. Purgatory by Stopquitdont.

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Mona, the song is Carly Simon's The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of (lyrics here ). smile I don't know it, but I might have to go check it out...

Good idea for a thread, Jojo! I'll have to download some of these fics to take with me on my plane trip next week.

Kaylle

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
LaraMoon has been doing a series of "Clark Kent is Batman.NOT!" stories so they made me think of this one .

A Charity Fanzine story, first released summer 1999 " SPEEDING BULLETS "
by Zoomway <Zoomway@aol.com>
Rated PG
Submitted August 2000

Framework4
Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
Thank you, Kaylle. I just read the lryics and listened to a sample on amazon.com. Did you like the fic? smile

Mona

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Pam Jernigan's President Kent Series starts with President Kent

I have so many others...but I will be a good boy...

James

I like the idea of maybe having a mini dissussion thread, but it should be seperate.

Like a thread called WRS:Firestorm by Irene...

something like that. All feedback is good, and the authors of these stories would just eat that stuff up

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Kerth
Kerth
Ooo - good idea, Jojo!

Since it seems you're looking for older stories, I went way back in my "To Read" folder and found this little gem.

The Only One by Tracey. smile

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
rkn Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Great idea- how are we going to narrow it down to only one of the suggested stories? smile1

thanks!

rkn
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
rkn: I wouldn't see the harm in us discussing all the suggested stories for that week. If there is an old fdk thread on the boards we could discuss them there... but if there isn't I don't know what to do really. We could always start one for it for that week and discuss it there. smile

Anyone have ideas on this? I'm open to it.

MrsMosley: Thanks for the recommendation. I just read it and loved it. I have to go hunt to see if Carol wrote a sequel now. smile

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Week 2:

Okay... So it is week two of the suggestion thread. ^_^ I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.

Here is my suggestion for this week: Go Softly Into the Night by Yvonne Connell
I was thinking about this one this morning and how much I really love it. I know a lot of you have read it but it is always worth another read and it is nice and short too. It is one of my favorite types of stories... the kind that make you wonder what happened afterwards. I still think about it.

We still need to figure out what we should do on feedback for the stories. I think it would be a really nice gesture for us to give FDK on the stories especially if we never have. Plus it is much more fun to discuss it with others. We could always make a general FDK thread for all the stories. Like FDK: Weekly Suggested Reading Thread Week 1. Or whatever. If so I can start it. ^_^ I'll list out all the stories for that week (and add more as people make suggestions) in the first post so people can reference all the stories easily.

What do you think?

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooh! Oooh! I've got one, miss! This little vignette from JoMarch is just adorable and has always been a huge favourite of mine.

When I Was Twelve...

Check out its sequel, too. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
We could always make a general FDK thread for all the stories. Like FDK: Weekly Suggested Reading Thread Week 1. Or whatever.
This would probably be the best bet, I think. I've always been keen to celebrate the older stories on the Archive. The ones which have been 'lost' and overlooked just because they've been there so long.

Back in the day, the Archive had a small, basic forum in which we tried to encourage feedback on just such stories. But it never really caught on. So I wonder if you'd find that individual fdk threads for the stories mentioned here would hit the same problem and flounder from lack of posts. A general thread, where everything goes in together, might not be so daunting.

OTOH, Jojo, you've managed to succeed with the recommendations where we (mostly <G>) failed, so you might well turn things around on feedback folders, too. laugh There could be no end to your powers of persuasion. wink

Anyway, whichever you choose, I want to say thanks for starting this thread and prompting this celebration of all the great fanfic out there that deserves to be read. twins

Oh, btw...where's the rest of the Drabbles? wildguy laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Originally posted by jojo_da_crow:
We could always make a general FDK thread for all the stories. Like FDK: Weekly Suggested Reading Thread Week 1. Or whatever. If so I can start it. ^_^ I'll list out all the stories for that week (and add more as people make suggestions) in the first post so people can reference all the stories easily.

What do you think?
I'd rather see it story by story.

FDK:WSR: [insert story title]

Framework4
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
frown Well it's to late now cause you already started the thread... but I think it would have been nicer to keep it in one thread since I didn't want it to clutter any of the boards. Plus it would have been a nice spot for me to list that weeks suggestions instead of people having to hunt through the thread.

But C'est la vie. Separate threads it is then. Please make sure if you start a thread guys that you link to the story so people know what the heck you are talking about. Make it as easy as possible for people to join in.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, there's no reason why you can't do both. If someone wants to post fdk on a recommended story in Fanfic, there's no reason why they shouldn't. And, likewise, anyone wanting to just add fdk to the existing thread or several stories all together in one fdk thread, can do that if it suits them better.

BTW, where are the rest of the Drabbles? laugh

LabRat (who has this weird feeling she might have said that already... )

The Musketeers
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This is true... We could do it both ways. laugh

~Jojo, who is going to covertly ignore the question about the drabbles once again.

(Haha, no really. I'll try to get the next batch to you this week.)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
~Jojo, who is going to covertly ignore the question about the drabbles once again.
<snork> goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
My suggestion for week two:

Like a Red Rock to Superman by Sara, Wendy and Pam. A lovely fic that is just the right size to read over lunch break.

Columnist
Columnist
Another story by Stopquitdont: When Galaxies Divide

This story had me captivated--I spent an entire day reading it in one go. I'm crazy, I know, but it was that good. There's also an nfic version. smile

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks everyone who is participating. ^_^ I have gotten a few emails from authors who are excited.

I am starting a FDK thread from the previous weeks suggestions, so please please come and participate. I know that the authors for a lot of these stories are still around and would love to hear what you think.

Week Three Suggestions

My suggestion for this week:
An Affair To Remember by David

I had forgotten how much I loved this story until I saw David post again this week. This story was so well done and conveyed such emotion. It is the perfect rewrite of All Shook Up.

Z
Columnist
Columnist
Z
I re-read "If I Were You" By Caroline K and it still is amazing!

http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2006/ifiwere.txt

Mona

C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
Here's a lovely story that's been on my mind lately:
Good Samaritan by Aria.

It's beautifully written, touching, and insightful - one of those stories that stays with me long after I've read it.

Caroline

Top Banana
Top Banana
Here's an elseworld story I recently re-read:

The Circle Squared by Terry Leatherwood.

wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Week 4

Ohhh!! Almost forgot to start the new week. Post suggestions for this week starting now.

Don't forget the suggestion above this one. It is also for week 4. ^_^

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Duet by Shayne. This is an Elseworld story that is so believable and very emotionally charged. It's the kind of story you stay up late at night to finish.

P.S. Was there an FDK thread for Week 3's stories?

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Not yet, I always make the suggestion thread after the week has finished. I guess I could make it sooner but I usually wait. I'll make it either tonight or tomorrow. smile Unless you wanna do it. laugh

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
The time frame of the suggestions and FDK is getting confusing--I'm working my way through the list above, and can't figure out what week anything is in and where the FDK should be posted past week two. I do want to thank whoever suggested The Circle Squared and of course heap admiration on Terry Leatherwood, the author--I just read it for the first time based on the recommendation and I loved it! But it's 2am and I have to get up at 5, so that's all I'm going to say right now. You guys are causing a serious sleep shortage around here.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'll link the FDK threads tomorrow in the first post to keep this from being confusing.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Ahh! Lisa you made me think of Shayne's other story I loved so much:
Hearts and Diamonds by Shayne Terry

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
So am I correct in guessing that only a few of us are actually interested in this anymore? If so, I figure there is no use in the FDK threads...

Blogger
Blogger
http://lcfanfic.com/stories2/montrose.txt

Montrose's Toast by Phil Atcliffe

It's the only revelation story I know of where Clark goes on the offensive with Lois in a really satisfying way.

of course, it's a sequel to Sold! by Erin Dawn McInnis (a 4KB story) found at

http://lcfanfic.com/stories/sold.txt

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
http://lcfanfic.com/stories/2001/catspaw.txt

Catspaw by Tara Smith (now Tara Morris)

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Here's a fiesty story I came across...
The True and Amazing Adventures of Wanda Detroit by Nekanuq, who hacked into the Daily Planet archives to bring to us Lois Lane's novel wink .

There's even a nfic version at Annesplace.

wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
At the risk of sounding immodest, here's one of mine that I wrote a couple of years ago. Some here on this board might recognize it, and might think it worth a smile or two ...

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003641#000000

Kitchen Crusade, by yours truly.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Cookiesmom, thanks for the kind words for "The Circle Squared." Sorry to cause a sleep shortage, since I often suffer the same affliction (and for the same reason), but I'm always glad to hear from a satisfied reader.

I'd like to recommend A Shot In the Dark by Sheila Harper. It starts with a hard WHAM but resolves with lots of WAFF and toys put back in their proper places. It's intense and suspenseful.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I didn't see a week 5 (or 6), but I re-read this gem today and wanted to recommend it. Any Time at All by Janet Owens (aka TicAndToc).

Thanks to Jojo for starting this thread and all the recommendations from you FOLCs - it's been great reading these marvelous stories again, as well as picking up a few new ones.

BJ

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Here's a great little one I just came across:

Lois and Clark: A Fairy Tale by Paul (Hatman)

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
So I've been letting the random function on the archive find fics for me the last few days. Have to say it doesn't seem truly random [for instance - a story of mine appeared twice, followed by the same 4 stories in a row both times], but close enough for government work smile . I'm sure there's some high fallutin' algorithm at work so it's mostly random...

But I digress.

One of the stories it gave me was ML's Lost in Time. And it was fabulous! I was going to email fdk, but thought I'd stick it here instead. If you haven't read it, get thee to the archive! It's the story of Alt-Clark and his search for Lois... well, sort of, but I don't know what the synopsis said and I don't want to give it away! But if you ever wanted to know what happened to Alt-Clark after he was 'outed', this is the way to go!

Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Have to say it doesn't seem truly random [for instance - a story of mine appeared twice, followed by the same 4 stories in a row both times],
Can't say I've ever encountered that problem with it, Carol. Perhaps it was a temporary glitch in the system.

Thanks for bumping this one up. I'd penned a reply to Lisa's post at the time, but then was unable to post it because the boards went down and promptly forgot to do it again until this reminded me.

Just to say that if you enjoyed Paul's Fairy Tale, you'll find more of the same on the Fairy Tales page on the Archive. There were quite a few responses to Meredith's Fairy Tale Challenge.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
BJ Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's not a fairy tale (exactly), but it is one of my favorites. Check out The Once and Future King by Shadowfax.

C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
It was weird, Labby - happened again today - 3 or 4 stories in a row. Keep in mind, I'm not actually reading them all, but have probably clicked it a couple hundred times in the last few days looking for something that I either haven't read but strikes my fancy or that I've read and want to reread. I did spend most of yesterday and today reading Nan-fic after I came across one of them - all of the Alt World and Wedding series as well as Pheremone, More Likely but now have schoolwork that HAS to get done tonight so must do that smile . It does work just fine and has served my purposes quite well the last few days and helped me avoid doing actual work which is what I wanted it to do smile .
Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
helped me avoid doing actual work which is what I wanted it to do
LOL! I guess, then, our work there is done. goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard