Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
StarKat Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I've noticed that some of our writers are posting Superman Returns fanfic here lately. I've only seen a couple, but where there are 1 or 2, there are sure to be more. Would it be possible to get another section added so those of us who want to post SR fanfic can post it without confusing those of us (like myself) who aren't expecting SR fanfic here?

I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to stop any of our wonderful writers from writing anything their muse nudges them to write, because I'm not. I just think the movies don't have much in common with the Lois and Clark from the series that first brought us here. I'd be suggesting the same thing if Smallville fanfics were being posted here smile

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
Top Banana
Top Banana
As the most chronic perpetrator - Pretty Please?

Big Apricot Superman Movieverse
The World of Lois & Clark
Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
I've thought about this before, but I never said anything because I'm torn about it. I do enjoy movieverse stories - there are a few at ff.net that I am following. On the other hand, I love the contained little universe we have here, and having a section for non-L&C Superman fics might eventually turn the whole forum in a direction we don't want. So I'm completely on the fence.

If the admins do decide to create a new section, I suggest that instead of "Superman Returns", it should be "Superman in other media", like on Zoom's boards. That could cover the movieverse, Smallville, the comics, etc.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yeah, if they did it, I would go with just a forum for the Superman movies. Adding Smallville would be too much of a change, and somehow it doesn't really fit with LnC or the movieverse, so I think creating a forum like the Original Fanfiction forum for Superman fic from the movies would be okay with me.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
StarKat Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
That would probably work better than just a SR section, I agree.

Now all we have to do is get someone in power to pay attention to us, right? help

Tara

Rose: You're NOT keeping the horse!
Doctor Who: I let you keep Mickey, now lets go!
Doctor Who, The Girl in the Fireplace
Top Banana
Top Banana
How about simply 'Other Superman'? for Superman fiction based on canon other than L&CtNAoS? Although I grant that I work pretty fast and loose at combining Comics with L&C and L&C with Movieverse and comics. dance

Richard White to Lois Lane: Lois, Superman is afraid of you. What chance has Clark Kent got? - After the Storm
Merriwether
Merriwether
Sending a PM to Labbie or one of the other admins would do it.

In fact, I'll do that.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The moderators and admins have been reading this thread, never fear! And we've been discussing your points and the question of an Other Media forum.

Our position hasn't changed from what it was when these boards were established:

The Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Board (MB) is specifically for fanfic about the series /Lois & Clark: the New Adventures of Superman/, starring Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain, which originally ran on ABC from 1993 to 1997. Stories about any of the characters from the show, or their associated universe, are welcome.

Fanfic about other shows, with no L&C crossover component, is not hosted here. There are other sites, e.g. FanFiction.Net, where such stories are welcome.
We didn't add a Superman in other media section when Smallville became popular, and we see no reason to do it now because there's a new movie out. There are plenty of general fanfic sites around, plus sites and LiveJournal communities, dedicated to the other-media incarnations of Superman.

As the title of the boards suggests, we're the Lois and Clark Fanfic MBs, and so we'll stay smile

Here ends this public information bulletin. wink Thank you for listening!

ETA: Anyone is welcome to use the OT forum to post a link to fic they've written about other-media Superman, as some have already done with their Smallville fic.

Wendy smile
Boards Admin Team

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well as one that routinely gets all my suggestions shot down by the powers that be it’s not that surprising that they stay consistently conservative. laugh
Anyway, I think it’s bad idea to broaden the scope. L&C is a dead series with a unique take on the superman mythos, adding the more popular ones would likely dilute and swallow its identity in the long run.

Dandello, I’m just curious, why do you want to post SR fanfiction on an L&C board? There seems to be a legion of fanfic sites dedicated SR and I assume a much greater interest?

BTW Wendy, I have a suggestion wink , the general L&C board is pretty much just games, I think it would better to turn into a board for everything superman related.(You know those subject that turns up in off topic forum now) because interesting discussions tend to stray over the entire spectrum and it’s seems unnecessary, to me, to have a moderator step in when it not directly L&C related. Of course in practice it likely wouldn’t make much difference, but perhaps the board could get a little more traffic.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, I wouldn't say that we're conservative, Arawn. goofy But we do have to take into account the views of the majority of our members here. And, rest assured, the moderators and admins have discussed both suggestions made on this thread very thoroughly.

When these boards were established, the members decided very clearly that we wanted these MBs to focus exclusively on Lois and Clark: TNAOS. There are plenty of fora out there for discussing Superman in other media: the comics, the Chris Reeve movies, Smallville, the new Brandon Routh movie franchise. In the years since the boards were set up, we haven't seen any reason to change this decision - and nor, to be honest, has there been any real clamour from members to broaden the scope of the boards. On the contrary: what members tell us is that they like the focus on Lois and Clark, and not having to wade through fic and discussions encompassing other-media versions of Superman.

Which brings me back to fic: crossovers between L&C and other-media Superman are fine, but there must be something that very clearly identifies the fic as being set within our Lois and Clark universe. For example, a fic a few years ago called Just One Bad Day Away had a Clark who was very clearly from the comics universe, and comics villains were present, but Lois, Perry and Henderson, as well as some other characters, were obviously from our L&C universe. So we would ask that members be aware of these criteria and observe them when posting their fanfic.

Thank you. Here ends today's Public Service Announcement wink

Wendy smile
Boards Admin Team

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by Arawn:

Dandello, I’m just curious, why do you want to post SR fanfiction on an L&C board? There seems to be a legion of fanfic sites dedicated SR and I assume a much greater interest?

BTW Wendy, I have a suggestion wink , the general L&C board is pretty much just games, I think it would better to turn into a board for everything superman related.(You know those subject that turns up in off topic forum now) because interesting discussions tend to stray over the entire spectrum and it’s seems unnecessary, to me, to have a moderator step in when it not directly L&C related. Of course in practice it likely wouldn’t make much difference, but perhaps the board could get a little more traffic.
First, I find the L&C universe so absolutely rich in characters and characterization that I find it impossible not to add major L&C elements into the SR setting. I find the response on the general SR writing boards to be on the order of 'oh I like it - when's the next section coming, did you hear what Brandon Routh did to Imp? Oh, where is New Troy...'

Second - I really appreciate the professionalism of the writing here. Believe me 'I cant bare to se it reigning' gets awfully tiring. This has to be to most polished writing board out there in any genre. And this is BEFORE it gets to the GEs.

That said, I'll try to behave myself. blush

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ironically, I think I side with the fandom's narrow focus at the moment. That may be part of what's keeping the goods here at such a high quality.

Consider: If you go to a dedicated, un-diluted Trek site, you can expect to find fans who are well versed in science and pseudo-science.

If you go to a fandom based on a videogame, you find kids and H4ck3rs. wink

Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman was aimed at adults, and especially women. The result is fans who come knowing to expect maturity and sensitivity on some levels, and the fact that they stay demonstrates that they're okay with that.

IMHO. *g*

Perhaps what we should do is colonize the internet....

We can load a server with memory and goods, and sail out for some small corner of wild, untamed cyberspace where we can set up an SR-only fandom, or a Smallville only fandom. Any natives already present can easily be converted or mowed down, of course, and we shall harvest many exotic fics very cheaply! Aside from the many wonderful new fics we import, we can also impose a tarriff on FoLCs in the other fandom, to help support LCFicMbs.

This may eventually cause ill feelings, of course, which left unchecked could result in a major dumping of files out of spite, and then an all-out flame war with the other fandom eventually petitioning fans of some French show for an alliance. The end result would be a complete break, with the SR/Smallville fandom writing its own new rules and ellecting its own moderator. This shocking turn of events would of course inspire members of other fandoms (Buffy, StarTrek, Monk..,) to join them, and so they'd place on their home page a little figure of a woman holding a laptop, bearing the inscription
"Give me your carpal-tunnelled, your N00bs, your huddled shippers yearning to type free..."
And things might be rocky for a while, but then we would eventually be on friendly terms again.
Except they would be somewhat obnoxious, and have little-to-no sense of culture.

cool

~•~
Merriwether
Merriwether
There's that wonderful sense of humor. Mary, you truly crack me up. How about sending some fandoms to finishing school, as in finish your thoughts and sentences.

Kerth
Kerth
lol Woody, Mary, the two of you should write stories together. Especially your dialogues would be interesting to read, I guess.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Merriwether
Merriwether
If only I could keep up with her wit...

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There does seem to be support for that position. The checkmated site that is dedicated to Ron/Hermione Harry Potter stories and has required betas achieves a overall high level of quality also.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Look, I agree with the GE's
This is an L&C dedicated site, and should stay that way...

It is the characterisation within L&C that separates it from the movies so distinctly, and generally the authors on this site manage to maintain these beautiful characters 99%, often with improvements...

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I think this is my first post ever to these boards, but I have been reading the L&C archive obsessively for the last several months, and now that I have mostly run out of stories there, I am reading those in progress here. This is the first category of fanfic I have ever bothered to read, all due to the high quality of the writing here. (Higher than the quality of the actual show.)

The tone of this thread has seemed almost anti-crossover, so I had to chime in. Although I am firmly a L&C fan, I am really enjoying Dandello's SR crossover stories, and several of the other crossover stories I have read lately. I also appreciate my favorite authors including links to their other work on other boards. So if you like to write crossovers, please don't be discouraged from posting them here. You have to help me feed my addiction! Thank you for all those that have been posted so far. clap

Top Banana
Top Banana
As a self-admitted offender - The issue is not cross-overs per se, but stories that do not have the primary characters (and primary emphasis of the story line) being closely related to the L&C TV universe. This is the LnCtNAoS board, after all.
angel-devil

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The tone of this thread has seemed almost anti-crossover,
I'm really not sure how you've come to this conclusion after reading the thread. The subject isn't crossovers - it's stories using characters from other Superman incarnations which have zero LNC content. These are not allowed on this forum because we are here purely for LNC fanfic.

There is absolutely no problem with crossovers, however - so long as LNC is one of the elements of the story - and there is no aversion to crossovers among the forum's members that I'm aware of.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard