Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boards Chief Administrator
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
The boards have been restored up to Sunday morning. Anything posted since then had been lost. frown

There are still some lingering issues with Nfanfic.net but it is being worked on by the web host.

Thanks for hanging in there.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Annette, Thank you for all you do.

Sue

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm just glad that you were able to get everything back up through the 25th.

See, this is why Clark's retentive computer habits are so important...

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Kerth
Kerth
Thanks for your good work!

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great job taking care of us Annette!

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
T
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
T
Thank you, Annette thumbsup

Top Banana
Top Banana
Thank you Annette! smile1

Simona smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thank you so much Annette! I'm glad you were able to recover what you did!

-- DJ

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm just glad it's back smile Thanks smile wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Patient? laugh Well, I was hitting "refresh" repeatedly... but I understand that stuff happens, and I'm just so glad we have somebody to slay the tech-dragons for us! {{{Annettte}}}

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
Patience here is nothing. I'm currently hitting my own web host, so I totally understand the frustrations! laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
clap

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
Yay! It's back! Thanks!

Jackie

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Whew! Thought I was going to have to interface with the real world on an extended basis. Thanks for all the work involved in restoring the site!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Columnist
Columnist
*Kate faints from withdrawal*
I know how you feel! I figured it was the server since it happened a little bit ago, but I started to get worried that it was never coming back!

Thank you, Annette! thumbsup I'm amazed at what you were able to restore. People like you will probably fascinate me for the rest of my life.

~Kristen

Joey: If he doesn't like you, then this is all just a moo point.
Rachel: A moo point?
Joey: Yeah, it's like a cow's opinion, you know, it just doesn't matter. It's "moo."
Rachel: Have I been living with him for too long, or did that all just make sense?
Blogger
Blogger
YEA!!!! THANK YOU!!! smile1 smile1

T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the work you do for us FoLCs, Annette! sloppy sloppy sloppy

Ann

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Thank you, Annette. smile

I was seriously suffering withdrawal, too. It was so weird to open my browser (this is my homepage) and nothing was there. All I could think was, my friends are gone! frown So glad we're back up and running.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I did have to face the realworld! [Eek!]
LOL! How long was it down? Just curious since my internet has been up and down all week. This was just one more site I couldn't load, so it was the norm for me. <g>

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Thanks, Annette! dance party

Jen, I think the boards were down for approximately a day and a half.

Tricia cool

Features Writer
Features Writer
Thanks annette.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png
Columnist
Columnist
At first I thought it was my internet connection, and once I realized that it was the site that was down, I suddenly didn't have nearly enough to do online anymore!

Thanks for getting these boards up and running again. smile

Silence is golden.
Duct tape is silver.

~Saw it on a T-Shirt.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Unfortunately, I still can't access the boards from my PC. I still get the four score logo screen. I'm currently using my old iMac (with aol 5.0) to get here.

I've tried rebooting a couple of times but that didn't work. Some have mentioned something about 'clearing cookies' but to me that just means that I've eaten the last of the Oreos in the cupboard.

You must remember that I'm an old man, and my computer expertise stops pretty much after turning the thing on.

Oh well, it's nice to have this back up.

Tank (who is still not convinced that this isn't a conspiracy to keep him off the boards)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Tank, you use Internet Explorer on your main computer, don't you? Here's what to try:

First option:

Go to the boards home page on your main computer. If you still get the error page, hold the Shift key down and click Refresh at the top of the screen. This will force your computer to look for the most recent version of the page.

If that doesn't work -

Second option:

Open a browser window.

Click on Tools.

Click on Internet Options.

Click on Clear History (the final option in that window). This deletes pages your computer has stored in its memory - what it might be doing is 'caching' the boards page from when the server was down.

And if that doesn't work -

Third option:

Same dialogue box in IE - Tools, Internet Options - but this time click on Delete Cookies. This is a bit more drastic - all stored passwords, records of pages visited and so on will be deleted, but it should work if the other methods didn't.

Good luck!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Merriwether
Merriwether
When you click Clear History, also click Delete Files. The history is just the list of visited website. The Files (aka Cache) are the little bits of each website you visit, such as images and other details, so that you don't have to download them each time.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can make any sense out of it on my other computer.

Does that fact that I use aol as my internet provider (and dial-up) mean that I won't be able to recognize the steps you've provided?

We must also take into consideration that I'm a complete incompetant when it comes to what most people think is obvious computer stuff.

I'm not really an idiot, but I have no real background in computers. When I was in school computers used fortran, and IBM punch cards.

Worst case is that I will have to resort to using this old machine to access the boards and will have to resign myself to never sending any more stories to the boards (since I do my writing on the pc).

Tank (who will give things a futile try after he signs off here)

Kerth
Kerth
Worst case is that I will have to resort to using this old machine to access the boards and will have to resign myself to never sending any more stories to the boards (since I do my writing on the pc).
No!

Tank, you can access your email account with your 'normal' pc, can't you? Copy and paste your stories into a new email and use the "Save as draft" option - or send it to your wife. That way, you can access your story from your olc iMac. That way, you can copy and paste it again onto the board.

(I've been using this technique for a while for university stuff - the computers there only have disk drives, and my laptop doesn't have one of those old-fashioned thingies any more.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Okay, between the hints that Wendy and others have given me, and the AOL help menus, I've finally reconnected with the boards. At least for now.

Thanks to everyone who gave me guidance.

Tank (who supposes that this means he'll have to go back to working on "The Prankster's Revenge")

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay! A new Tank story! How soon can we expect it? dance

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard