Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
a Clintonian sexual activity
Love it, Terry. It's interesting how with a phrase like that, everyone knows what you're talking about without you having to come out and say it. I wonder if in fifty years they will be having discussions about whether 'Clintonian' has to be capitalized.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
interestingly enough (cause you all care so much) I have just finished writing an essay related to the internationalisation of the English language.

well anyway... to the point
F vs. f

Standard English is determined by how the "prestigious" (repsected/authorities in...?) writers, publishers and editors...use the language. According to an article I quoted for the essay (Gumta...linguistics professor at University of NE, Australia)

Anyway, so this can be determined by the audience, and the publishing circle, so that the STANDARD is flexible to adapt with regional variations in dialect (thong in Aus is a type of sandle/shoe with a string/rubber peice between your toes , in US=lingere/swimwear) and text type (if there are any specific jargon for business/science/IT/etc.) including BLOGS

she did some websurvey with abreviations such as L8 for late, and found that the majority of these were still based on SE...

The crux of the matter is a standard is not set in stone, but depends on where you are... "Formal" vs. "informal" uses of the language is only determined by those you are trying to converse with...

so F vs. f.
for our forum would be whatever we have decided (I guess that was F) howeever this would dictate how we use the capitol leters in our other writings, and so form the backbone of a global SE...

Hope you enjoyed that trip down the lane...
A wealth of information needs its uses... as it can't buy much bread or milk.

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
lol, ML! Well, you never know, maybe Hilary will succeed in redeeming the family name.... or at least giving it a different connotation!

On the grammar issue, I have one rule and I stick with it: When there are two plausible ways to do something, pick one of them, and be consistent throughout. I find that covers a multitude of grammar issues.

smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard