Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#153810 01/21/07 06:16 AM
C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
clap

Yay! I get a happy feeling just reading the description and thinking about all the wonderfully shippy stories. Thank you smile

#153811 01/21/07 10:40 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Great! smile1 Thanks!

Simona smile

#153812 02/02/07 07:15 PM
T
TriciaW Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
T
The following story has been made eligible for this year's Kerths.

And So It Is - C_A
web page

Tricia cool

#153813 02/03/07 05:33 PM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
I have to confess something. I don't think I can do it, at least not very well.

I was just glancing over the list of titles eligible for this year's Kerth awards, and do you have any idea how hard it's going to be to pick any of them in any category? Sheesh! The sheer quality of these stories is mind-boggling. Just leafing through them makes my brain pucker. There are so many good ones, I don't know where to begin!

Some are familiar, some aren't (and I plan to rectify that deficiency as soon as possible), and others invoke such a strong reaction that I wonder how I could vote for any other story, and then I read another in the same category and it happens all over again, and then I see another and - well, I'm sure you get the idea.

The only ones I couldn't vote for are the ones not in English, and that's only because I don't read French or German. I wish we had the English translations of those stories (which I realize isn't a reasonable request) so I could see just how wonderful I'm sure they are, too.

But I'll muddle through somehow. And all I have to say about the writers on this board is - "Wow!" I learn something about writing every time I log on and check for new posts. You folks - oops, FOLCs - are the greatest!

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
#153814 02/10/07 09:41 AM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Originally posted by TriciaW:
The following stories have been added to the eligibility list.
*insert some of my stuff*
Cool beans! Thanks for adding those to the list ^_^

Mmm cheese.

I vid, therefor I am.

The hardest lesson is that love can be so fair to some, and so cruel to others. Even those who would be gods.

Anne Shirley: I'm glad you spell your name with a "K." Katherine with a "K" is so much more alluring than Catherine with a "C." A "C" always looks so smug.
Me: *cries*
#153815 02/20/07 06:32 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
This being my first year to this... I guess I wasn't really thinking about categories until right now and it is to late this year to make any changes regardless... But can I inquire why there isn't a category for stories over 200K? You guys stop at Best Mid-Length Story... but there are at least 13 stories that miss out on this category because they don't fit the size requirements.

This is just me being curious and not me criticizing. Maybe I have missed an important detail so please don't think I am picking at anything.

~Jojo, who is trying to figure out who to vote for and who just now noticed this.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#153816 02/20/07 07:48 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I think the reason there is no size category longer than midlength is because even thirteen might not be enough to make a strong category, and also most stories over 200k are going to fit in one of the other categories. I think midlength is there as a category for stories that are supposed to be like a short book. Some of them would have trouble contending with a 500k story in the same category because the longer one has more time to really develop a story.

I've wondered about it too, But if you look at most of the stories over 200k that you would nominate, you're probably going to put them in another category as well, and also, between, for example, The Forgotten, Faustian Bargain, and It Might Have Been, since those are the only titles I can remember right now being that length, it would be extremely difficult to pick between them with nothing but size parameters.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#153817 02/20/07 12:03 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
But can I inquire why there isn't a category for stories over 200K?
Ah, but there have been in the past. Three years running - 2002, 2003 and 2004 - Drama was divided up into Drama and Epic Drama, because there were so many "long" stories being written in those days. We used to have both Short Revelation and Long Revelation categories too, as long as Best Series.

It all depends on the nature of stories being written in a given year. That's why the Kerth Committee always has a list of possible categories, and they look at the eligible stories and try to come up with a reasonable number of categories for those stories. There are fewer stories being written now than three years ago or so, so fewer categories. One year I think we even had a best TOGoM category... smile

And as Woody pointed out, a lot of stories will fit into other categories that don't have any size restriction. For example, the three that he listed could all be nominated for Best Dramatic Story.
Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
#153818 02/20/07 12:25 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks! That answered my question. smile

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard