Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
<giggle>

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by Classicalla:
Here’s another myth… Breastfeeding one baby prevents you getting pregnant with another. (It helps, but it won’t outright prevent it.)
Not quite. Some of us do not ovulate while breastfeeding.

HOWEVER. Not only is it impossible to know if you are in that group beforehand, some women who did not ovulate while nursing their first child do while nursing a later one (given that each baby has different nursing patterns, this is hardly surprising). Nonetheless, for some women, breastfeeding alone can prevent another pregnancy.

Certainly not something I would rely on if it were important not to get pregnant, though.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Certainly not something I would rely on if it were important not to get pregnant, though.
Yes, unfortunately some women have done this. I think it's more well known now that it won't absolutely prevent pregnancy, but it used to be common for people to think that it did.

As you said, you don't which group you will fall into.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
T
Blogger
Blogger
T
Oh gosh. Sex ed. that was a nightmare. I moved around in schools a lot as a kid myself, so I may have just gotten lucky, but I also wound up going to a more conservative christian highschool. I think the majority of our sex ed THERE involved flower biology. I don't recall any agonizingly painful moments in highschool.

College was something else. Mandatory health class. everyone had to take it. no exceptions. Everyone had to be present for the sex ed parts. They had different sessions for guys and girls. Supposedly to make it easier for the students... EXCEPT OUR TEACHER WAS A MAN.

My friends an I were of a rather unanimous opinion on the topic (we were all VERY late bloomers.):
We don't wanna know until we get married thankyewverymuch. the boys can keep their pants on and we'll keep ours on and they're not touching us anyway. we don't wanna know! frankly we all knew it anyway we just didn't want to endure the torture.

although the teacher was an utter riot to watch. beet red through the whole thing, flat monotone, never looked up from his notes.

I still question the sanity of the administrators who required it to be a part of the curriculum. I mean really? what's more traumatic for a kid being told the mysteries of life surrounded by snnickering peers or by your parents or heck by your doctor? please I'd vote doctor any day of the week for best choice.

although I do know of one girl, poor kid, she hadn't been told ANYTHING by her parents at ALL. then one day she just starts bleeding. she was in an utter panic and my cousin (who was like 15 at the time) had to explain the whole thing, birds bees, the works.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The birds and the bees? I've been assured that the whole thing is a myth.

From what I've heard, if you stick a bird and a bee together in a cage, odds are nothing will happen. Well, I suppose there's a chance the bird will eat the bee or the bee will sting the bird or something, but that's hardly likely to get either one of them pregnant, you know?

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Pretty sure there is not a single thing a bee or a bird can do -- with each other or anyone or anything else -- that could get either pregnant. Given that they both are oviparous . . .

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Kerth
Kerth
Besides, all bees flying around who build states (like the honey bee) are usually sterile - apart from the rare (and big) queens who loose their wings after being inseminated, and the short-lived drones, so even if the bird could do something, there'd be no result...

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, but those birds and bees sure can cross-pollinate those flowers which in the world of flowers is sex.

C
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
C
German, here, too. (From the former eastern part to be accruate).
My mother read and shwoed me a book about where babies come from (hand-drawn), it was meant for children, I must have been about 5 or 6 when she showed it to me. It was nicely done and explained quite well with soem comparative example for the child mind. There where pictures of naked people in it. It just didn't explain about how the babies get into the mothers tummy, I somehow formed the opinion that the semen got into the egg via a syringe.
Later there was also a cartoon serie (French/German coproduction, I think, but primarily French). Their first episode was about the creation of a new life. They started out with two naked people kissing an embracing and then switch to the sperm racing to the egg. The series is quite well done.

Sex ed we had in class 5 or 6, I was about 11 years old and it came just in time to educate me before my first period. My parents had to sign that I now got taught about sex, in case of questions on my part.
By that time I had a vague understanding of what really went on (my libary had no idea what kind of books they had on their shelfs, scifi and fantasy isn't necessarily harmless).

How teacher was somewhat embarassed about the whole thing, so were we, much giggeling and stupid comments ensued.
I don't think they showed us a video of a birth,b ut the showed us a detailed video of the mechanics of sex and what goes where, etc.
Later we saw a cartoon film abotu sex and our right so say "no". The video had been done by pupils from Netherland, I think. It covered many thinks to, even giving yourself an orgasm. The animation was rather crud and highly repetitive, but otherwise the movie was done quite well. (We never told our other teachers that we had seen that movie already, so we got see two more times wink )

There were a few more movies we saw about sex and your first time and similar things, we had quite a few talks about it in different subjects, we even had a guy from an insurance over explaining the use of condoms to us, my fellow student was quite embarassed when she had to demonstrate the proper way to use a condom (on a wooden model aka something looking like the end of a broom stick).

I think we were quite well educated about sex and what to know about not getting pregnant and sexually transmitted diseases.

(As far as I remember, most of the outrage concerning Nipplegate was about the fact that the Americans where making such a huge affair about it. There was quite a bit of jesting about the whole thing.)

Pulitzer
Online Content
Pulitzer
Later there was also a cartoon serie (French/German coproduction, I think, but primarily French). Their first episode was about the creation of a new life. They started out with two naked people kissing an embracing and then switch to the sperm racing to the egg. The series is quite well done.
Ohh, yeah. How I *l o v e d* that series.

By the way, speaking of getting pregnant. Did anyone ever see the episode of the Flintstones where Fred's wife was pregnant? (Is she called Wilma as well?) This was just *h i l a r i o u s*.

I never believed in the stork and I don't remember much theories about where children came from. I knew that mommy was involved somehow. That was pretty much obvious since I had photos from my first minutes of life and my parents were on them as well. And when you are an only-child, there is not much to wonder about.

Concerning the stork, we heard something really funny in one of our lectures.

The number of babies in a country is positively correlated to the number of storks. So maybe we are all mistaken and it's the stork, anyway?

It's never too dark to be cool. cool
Top Banana
Top Banana
Did anyone ever see the episode of the Flintstones where Fred's wife was pregnant? (Is she called Wilma as well?)
I never watched much Flintstones, but I CAN tell you that it was Fred and Wilma Flintstone and Betty and Barney Rubble. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Kerth
Kerth
So how do people in the polar circles get babies if there are no storks? And don't tell me about "Schneewehen". (Sorry, FoLCs, the joke gets lost in translation.)

C
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
C
Originally posted by Olympe:
So how do people in the polar circles get babies if there are no storks?
Well, at the South Pole Penguins, almost the same color (do the scientists down there get pregnant, are there even female scientists?).

North Pole: Orcas, almost same color, too.
Originally posted by Olympe:
And don't tell me about "Schneewehen". (Sorry, FoLCs, the joke gets lost in translation.)
Never looked at it like that.

Kerth
Kerth
And since penguins of all kinds and sizes are scattered over whole southern hemisphere, this takes care of this. Other places:
Africa: zebras (also black'n'white)
Asia: White Tigers

and whereever, whatever...

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, at the South Pole Penguins, almost the same color (do the scientists down there get pregnant, are there even female scientists?).
There are female scientists in Antarctica. Several years ago, the physician there, diagnosed herself with breast cancer. If I remember correctly, she had to direct one of the other scientists in doing a biopsy. They partly had the means to treat cancer there, and chemotherapy was started, but they ended having to do a dramatic winter rescue to bring her back home (the States, I think.). Usually when they get down there, there is no coming back in the winter. Of course, it’s always cold and snowy, but the weather is much, much worse in the winter.

I believe I’ve heard that the scientists there are required to use birth control. I saw a documentary once that said there was a lot of hanky panky going on. You can imagine that must be so since they are usually cooped up down there for a year. And think what that must have been like in the days before they could use the internet and email?

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, Orcas would do for the coastal regions, but there are some populated areas a little too far inland to hop.

I have heard, though, that there is a rare species of flying reindeer indigenous to the region, and I've never been clear on what they do for 364 days out of the year...

Something else I've been wondering about... Where do baby storks come from?

Oh, and changelings... My understanding with them was that they were fay creatures (generally elves) who could rarely, if ever, have babies of their own (the species continued due to long or even endless lifespans). They would steal human babies (particularly ones belonging to careless mothers) and leave behind magical constructs. Depending on the tale, the construct would die within a few days (probably an explanation for SIDS), would reveal itself to be an illusion within hours, or would grow up to be a soulless monster.

For those interested, here's the wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeling

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Kerth
Kerth
I have heard, though, that there is a rare species of flying reindeer indigenous to the region, and I've never been clear on what they do for 364 days out of the year...
This one totally cracked me up. rotflol

And the baby storks - well, you already mentioned those reindeers...

Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by Classicalla:
You can imagine that must be so since they are usually cooped up down there for a year.
Most are there for six months, sometimes less. Only about 1/4 of the scientists stay they for the true winter.

A few babies have been born down there.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A DEBATE THAT CANNOT BE WON

Well that is true Scientifically
But they are not mutually exclusive *theories* (ID and evollution)

ID just states that there was a guiding force behind evolution (as far as this is the Vatican's Endorced theory behind Evolution... I have been told (heresay I know, but reputable sources) that the Vatican officially states that evolution may have been the driving force behind the Creation of Man, in so far as Genesis was never meant to be an accurate account of the creation timeline/sequence...)

At this point (as a scientist myself) I do not beleive that there is anything science can produce that will be able to disprove religion entirely. So there is no reason why I cannot beleive even a "random" process like evolution can be a part of God's will. By finding quantum particles (sub atomic, smaller than protons and electrons etc.) we have not proved what caused the particles to be created...

Although this has not prevented me from having to sit through "Science" lectures in psychology, being "taught" (and later examined on) the "Scientific explanation behind the "Human invention" of Religion".... something to do with the how human mind "INVENTED" the idea of an afterlfe in order to reduce the enoumous grief and dispair (even trauma) when a loved one dies...not something really appropriate for a science course...It is totally and utterly an unprovable statement to make with regards to the scientific theory etc.......
As it was the sydney uni psychology department, I was (of course)unsuccessful in my attempts to argue against this, only because they never accept any criticism...

really off topic there
but back to "the cabbage patch kids" (a book by Paul Jennings, a really good Ausie Children's fiction writer, but Ive never read that one)...

I am 3rd out of 9 children (6 boys, and including me 3 girls... before you ask, yes the same parents)
So I guess I always knew about babies "coming from mummy's tummy"...
at first i thought "how gross, all that yucky vommit in the tummy, poor baby... swimming in vommit"
dont remember when I was first told, but it would be in that glorious period of Infantile amnesia (before the age of 4)

after that, my private catholic school, expected the parents to elaborate, and we were first told of the bennefits of Natural Family Planning The Billings Method, this uses basically the womans own cycle, and teaching envolves descriptions of various female secretions at various points in the cycle...
we were taught this at the ge of 15-16 (Yr 11)]
and it was expected we knew everything else... which most of us did, as the school gave parental classes into how to explain these issues to us...

compare this to a 2 yr old i nanny part time (dont know the verb for Nanny... any suggestions)
this year at the age of 2 and 1/2, i took him to the circus one day...
the next week we were painting clowns... as an educational thing
we did arms, legs, head... all with shape stamps and paint brushes...
then the boy starts drawing a third leg...

NICKY (not real name) I say
we only need 2 legs...

No,No,No, Helenaaaa (he says)
this is clown's Penis... (like gee you are so stupid not to know that...

Oh my!!!... silence...
Oh Nicky, we cant see any penis... the clown is wearing Pants... see... Safe, i think

BUt Helena, It's a boy clown... boys have a penis... girls (like mummy) have ginas, ginas are where babies come from... the daddy puts penis in gina, and makes a baby in mummy's tummy

I told the parents later, emphasising i did not teach him this, and there were no Penises at the circus...
They said they know, he is just curious.... and they taught it to him after he watched Dumbo and asked where did babies come from...

PS> Please no comments about the effectiveness of Billings, and the choices my parents made... I am me, they are them, I love my life, and I love my siblings just like you do... we all have our differences, but we are also our own best friends... I cannot even begin to contemplate which of my siblings I will choose between who to kill off..... my parents made their decisions for their own reasons... i had no say in them, and as they do not post on this forum, I object to anyone commenting on this forum.... you have your opinions, I have mine, and they have theirs, but this is not the place to discuss them... Comprende???

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
i had no say in them, and as they do not post on this forum, I object to anyone commenting on this forum.... you have your opinions, I have mine, and they have theirs, but this is not the place to discuss them... Comprende???
Um...sorry, beethoven, but if you put your opinion onto a public forum, then you have to accept that it will be commented on, disagreed with (or agreed with laugh ), dissected, debated and probably a whole lot of other D words. wink

You can politely request that the other members of the forum impose a self-regulated embargo on such and such a topic, out of courtesy for your feelings, but you have no right to ban discussion on any topic. And if other members don't feel inclined to grant your request and want to discuss it anyway, that's their prerogative.

Basic rule - you don't want it discussed? Don't open up the subject. wink This forum is the place to discuss anything posted here as it is an opinion/discussion forum.

Having said that, you seem to be expecting some scorn to be poured on/attack to be made on your parents' views and the Billings method and are making an attempt to pre-empt that. I would be mighty surprised if that was the response you got from the members of this forum. Honest, courteous, intelligent discussion/debate, yes. But impoliteness?...Doubtful. smile And so long as the topic is treated with courtesy and politeness, it's up for discussion like any other subject or opinion posted here.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard