Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
First of all, THANK YOU!!! So many of you have reminded me of a ton of great stories that I'd forgotten I'd loved. I had a giant downloading party last night and now have a happily full "bookshelf" of fanfics to read. What could be better than that? laugh It's been fun to have my memory refreshed. If you have more recommendations, please keep 'em coming! thumbsup

Originally posted by YConnell:
Clearly should have stopped writing fics after that, though.
But then you wouldn't have won Best Overall for Yesterday, Upon The Stairs. confused

Yvonne [/QB]
Yeah, I don't get that either. confused Carol, YOU WON after that. Best Overall. Not many people can say that. Are you saying you should have stopped *before* winning such a big award? Weird. Take a step back and appreciate the fact and be grateful that your story struck such a big cord with people. That is (or should be) a writer's foremost desire--to have indulged yourself in a labor of love AND discover you have created something that touched readers. Awards and accolades should be secondary to your love of the process. If you love what you're doing and have part of your soul fulfilled by the creative process, then you're writing for the right reasons. If not...well, then you're just looking for ego stroking and should be doing something else. Carol, coming from a writer passionate about the process, I would love to see someone with as much talent as you have more self-confidence in your talents. You have a gift! Appreciate it, girl! thumbsup

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Franklin Rocket eBook...BTW, it's getting a little tired. Anyone know where I can pick another one up?
I don't but consider an older ipaq with an sd card slot. I use isilo and I used isiloX to create a compressed copy of the Entire Archive (text files) about 88 MB in size, easily fits on an sd card.

I can adjust the font size and the colors. It recalls where I was when I closed the book.

Fully searchable.

Patrick

Framework4
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Framework4:
I don't but consider an older ipaq with an sd card slot. I use isilo and I used isiloX to create a compressed copy of the Entire Archive (text files) about 88 MB in size, easily fits on an sd card.

I can adjust the font size and the colors. It recalls where I was when I closed the book.

Fully searchable. [/QB]
Hey, cool, Patrick! Thanks! I'm trying to remember my technology here, though. Do ipaqs have pretty small screens? I don't want to be squinting at itty bitty letters on a small screen, which is why I like my ebook since it's about the size of a regular novel and you can even switch the font size options to "large print." But if the ipaq has a bigger screen like this, I'm all over it! Thanks for the suggestion! thumbsup

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Yes they do have small screens about 2.25" wide by 3" high.

You'd might look for a Cybook. Windows ce 3 and a 10 inch screen.
http://www.bookeen.com/Community/ebook-community.aspx?selectionm=0
http://www.bookeen.com/images/Cybook/CybookHand.jpg
Cybook Tablet PC w/ Large Touch Screen on eBay
http://www.bookeen.com/Cybook/ebook-reader.aspx?selectionm=3

edited by Karen to reduce length of URL

Framework4
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Framework4:
You'd might look for a Cybook. Windows ce 3 and a 10 inch screen.
Hey, thanks! I never knew this product existed. I appreciate the links!

Erin

~~Erin

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
You might also look at something like this. Not as light but still a nice sized screen.

Pencentra

Framework4
Merriwether
Merriwether
I liked your Where, oh Where, do Supes clothes go, Erin. One of the best revelation stories with Lois discovering it herself.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh! That reminds me of Carla Humbert's absolutely hilarious vignette - Quick Change.

And for more chuckles, try Kathryn Ann Kent's 48 Hours Without A Superman and Ultrawoman Lane's The Revenge Of Ultrawoman.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Carol, I just have to say - we are lucky you didn't stop writing before you had given us Yesterday, Upon the Stair.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by TOC:
Carol, I just have to say - we are lucky you didn't stop writing before you had given us Yesterday, Upon the Stair.

Ann
I guess I haven't seen a convenient place, but I just want to give a huge ditto! "Yesterday" is truly one of my favorite longer fics. I love the way the revelation is treated. smile

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
P
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
P
Erin, re your Franklin ebook,i've never seen one of those. I download tons of fic to my pda. I believe they're about the same size. I just recently bought a PalmOne Tungsten E . You just need to buy a expansion card for lots of extra room and you're all set. I highly reccommend it.
Here is a link to a review of them. http://www.hozt.com/reviews/palmone_tungsten_e_handheld_b4d1/ Oh, and whoever reccommended The Longest Road WIP thanks. I wasn't aware of it.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Ooh! A Tungsten E! I've had one of those for about two years, and I HIGHLY recommend it (or the E2, which my dad has had longer than I've had my E). I've also got a 1 GB Mini SD card with an adapter, so that I can use it with both my cell phone AND the Tungsten. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Whats the difference between the tungston E and the E2?

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Is this what you already have?

eBookwise-1150 eBook Reading Device with 64 Megabyte SmartMedia card
$124.95 plus shipping! (Device is shippable to USA and Canada only.)
About the size of a paperback book, weighing about a pound, and with its backlit screen, the eBookwise-1150 gives new meaning to the term "light reading." The device also includes powerful electronic features that offer you a reading experience beyond that of a traditional book. You can turn pages and change the text orientation just by pushing a button. By simply touching the screen, you can enlarge the text size, bookmark pages, highlight passages, make notes, search for key words and hyperlink to other parts of the book. This device includes a pre-installed 64 Megabyte SmartMedia Card, dramatically increasing the storage capability of your eBookwise-1150.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
Whats the difference between the tungston E and the E2?
The E2 has better graphics, etc. and it can expand and contract. The E is just a straight PDA, no expanding.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Blogger
Blogger
Being still fairly new to the fanfic game. Meaning I am still glued to the fanfic archive!!! I would also
recommend the Forever and All Eternity series by
Laura Davies. Swampmeet/Burbank and Swampmeet/Metropolis. thumbsup

Although, I must admit I am becoming more and more
addicted everyday!!! Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's
Hurt. I've read both versions of this fic and the nfic version one I like better.
thumbsup

Blogger
Blogger
Sorry!! I am still not up to par on knowing all the
author's names as some you guys are!

I am better at the titles! wink notworthy

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard