Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm going to hijack LabRat's suggestion in another thread and ask for fanfic recommendations for OLD STUFF--the whole "oldies but goodies" thing. smile Just last week, I put out a request for fanfic recommendations to a group of fanfic buddies, so I thought, why not take up Labby's suggestion and pose a similar question here? wink

A little backstory: I have the most wonderful device--a Franklin Rocket eBook. My hubby got it for me a few Christmases ago, but I've never read a published book on it. Why? Because it works GREAT for reading fanfic. thumbsup I download stories and upload them to the eBook, and I take the handy thing with me when I'm waiting to pick kids up from school, etc. (BTW, it's getting a little tired. Anyone know where I can pick another one up?? I've been keeping my eyeballs peeled for one on eBay, but if anyone happens to have one that they're looking to unload... thumbsup

Anyway, I'll take any of your recommendations! I figured this thread would also help the newbies learn about some of our oldies but goodies in this fandom. I'm sure you newbies are missing out on some GREAT fics! hyper

So. Anyone? Anyone have oldies favorites say...from the onset of fanfic posted to the archive through the very FIRST Kerth awards? Do tell!

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
Kerth
Kerth
I read "Purity" by Yvonne Connell last weekend. If you haven't read that one (or even if you have) it was jaw-droppingly brilliant. If you're looking for something dark and angsty and yet full of laugh-out-loud banter between our heroes, I'd highly recommend it. It's a shame there wasn't a "Best Henderson" category when she wrote it - I think she would have won that one, too. thumbsup

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
Well Erin, You know my favorite of all time is yours. 'When You Needed Me Most' is one of the best stories I have ever read. So if by chance you haven't read your own in a while...
Wendy's 'It Happened One (Super) Night' is another of my all time favorites.
A real good way to fine oldies but goodies is to go through the old Kerth winners.
Of course, you could also use your machine to write a story for us!!

Sue

J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Here's what's in my favorites folder and gets re-read probably at least once a year if not more often:

Ad Astra Per Aspera by Becky Bain
Four Days to Nightfall By Nan Smith
It Happened One (Super) Night by Wendy Richards
LOST AND FOUND by Jeff Brogden
Firestorm series by Irene Dutch:
  • Firestorm
    Broccolli Dancing
    Timestorm
    Starfire and Sunstorm
    Solar Eclipse
    Beyond a Shadow of a Doubt
    Hiding in the Shadows
    Gale Force Winds

Others I can think of off the top of my head that I'd like to re-read:
Home series by Nan Smith
President series by Pam Jernigan
Early series by Margaret Brignell

I know there's a bunch more... I kind of really like a couple of authors and will occassionally re-read all their stuff. Although with some their list of stories just keep getting longer and longer!! (but really, no complaints here!!! smile )

Julie

C
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
C
This thread is a little hard for a newbie because I don't know exactly when things were written. But anyway:

I second Ad Astera per Aspera. I love, love, LOVE this story, which is funny, because if there are two words that will normally make me reach for the back button, those two words are "New Krypton." Becky's story is an absolutely magnificent exception to this personal rule.

I don't have time for much gushing right now, but I have to add: anything by Lynn M. I'm not sure her stories qualify as "old", but each one has given me images and feelings that will stay with me forever. What a talented author.

Will try to come back later with a few more specific recs.

Caroline

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Where to start.

Becky Bain--"Timeless"--it's an Xover, but one of the few I've ever liked; "Ad Astra Per Aspera" is really hard to deal subject-wise with but very well done

Margaret Brignell--"The One" or her whole Only You series

Kathy Brown--"The One That Got Away"--She has others but I think this one is my favourite

Demi--"Heaven's Prisoners"--I think of that one as a baseline for the angst-factor

Jennifer Eagan-Dixon--"When Magnolias Bloom"--this one is kind of bittersweet but was one of the first stories I ever read and I still like it

Sheila Harper--"In the Beginning"--I still love that story

Pam Jernigan--"President Kent"--it's a hilarious take on the idea

Erin Klinger "HiM: the Video"

Lyds--"The Darkness Within"--very alternate reality

BB Medos "Lois' Revenge/Clark's Response"

Debby Stark "Shortest L&C Story Ever"--it's funny and her list used to be my favourite email to receive

Karen Ward--"Nightmare on Hyperion Avenue"

Zoomway--"Counter Clark-wise"--I think it was one of the earlier attempts to mess with alternate realities

You'll notice I left out many authors--including some authors that are regularly included in all recommended reading lists. I even left out some of my all-time favourite stories because they are more recent. I purposely picked the older stories (before 1999). The only ones that deviate from this are those that I know were finished earlier but not uploaded to the Archive right away.

I left the Gorn off the list because none of her stuff is accessible through the main archive. She remains a favourite, though, and her work has been around forever. There are a couple other authors whose work I know I liked but who have since disappeared completely.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I loved The Unaired Fifth Season (under Themes on the Archive if anyone's interested). I totally blame that mysterious Krypton Club for getting me hooked on fanfic!

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ditto anything written by
-Nan Smith
-Irene Dutch
-Pam Jernigan(President Kent series is wonderful!)
-Jenni Debbage
-Phil Atcliffe
-Kathy Brown
-Jeff Brogden
-Paul-Gabriel Wiener(of course)
-Timeless by Becky Bain
-Zoomway

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oooooh. Lovely. And I see loads of my own personal old favourites have already been suggested.

With one eye on the coming season <g>, a short but very cute and sweet story which I love reading around this time of year is Gina Blank's Have A Jolly Holly Christmas...Or Not

JoMarch's three little vignettes are not to be missed imo.

I love Carol Malo's Recognition series and Margaret Brignall's stories. Especially her trilogy about Clark's early life. (ETA: See these have already been mentioned - ignore me.)

Peabody's Goodnight, Metropolis is a sweet little next gen vignette.

Anything by Shayne.

Ack, I hate this. laugh I wish my memory was sharper these days. I know I've forgotten tons of terrific stories.

I'll be back if I can remember more.

LabRat (who used to have a handy index for this kind of thing with all her favourites on it...)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
Recommendations for old fics? Where can I start?

well, you know I love everything you wrote, but I love these also:

by Chris Mulder obviously "Meet me in Kansas city", but also Love beyond all measure and Dimensions of loving ;

by Yvonne Fear of discovery series, Fear of unknown , Trust me, I\'m a reporter , Misery (not so old, I know, but I just love it!)

by Wendy the Big boys do fly series, A conscious choice , Faux pas , For the greater good , It happened one (super) night , Just another undercover assignment , Penfriend , Second thoughts , Strange visitor from the Congo , When Lightning Strikes Twice ;

by Mobile Richard the Life in a Different World series;

by Jenni Debbage the Kent Family series starting with New birth and the Universal union series;

by ML Thompson Cause and effect , I will always love you , A Matter of Destiny series, Out of time , (but I love everything by ML...)

Together again by Chiara Prato;

but I have many others to recommendate, I'll come back later...

Simona smile

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Ad Astera per Aspera, absolutely. This is the only story that ever made me cry. And I don't mean just teary-eyed. I mean real, loud, need-a-hankie, gasping sobs. The kind that made my husband come running into the room, convinced that I had just learned my grandmother had died or something equally horrible. When I tell you that I cry maybe once a year, you will understand how deeply this story touched me.

Ok, enough about my tears. Other favorites: Wendy's Green Card , Kathy's Momentum: A Winter Holiday Tale , anything by CC Aiken , LynnM's The Butterfly Legacy .

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I'm not entirely sure what classifies as an oldie, but I really must emphatically recommend ANY story by The Gorn. Her stories are still archived at Annesplace.
Also, I think I'd better recommend "Haunting Eden" by Lynn M. It's one of the great classics on the archive, although only the first part is finished and Lynn doesn't seem to want to upload it onto the archive until Part Two is finished as well. Which is a pity because it's a Kerth Winner if I ever saw one. And yes, I'm completely obsessed with it. Sue me!
You wanna great big angsty read? Try:
1. Masques by Labrat (So much for being a has-been, Labrat! wink )
2. Rage by Lynn M (The nFic version is the best, though)
3. ANYTHING by Yvonne Connell. The lady eats FoLC arteries for breakfast.
Also anything by Shayne Terry. She's really that good!
4. Near Wild Heaven by Kaethal. Pity the sequel isn't finished yet...
5. Heavens Prisoners by Demi and Kathy. One of my all-time favourites!
Pity you aren't asking for newer fics though. I'm thinking of a new author who's definitely God's gift to the nfic archive these days...(Guess who!)

“Is he dead, Lois?”

“No! But I was really mad and I wanted to kick him between the legs and pull his nose off and put out his eyes with a freshly sharpened pencil and disembowel him with a dull letter opener and strangle him with his own intestines but I stopped myself just in time!”
- Further Down The Road by Terry Leatherwood.
S
Top Banana
Top Banana
S
again lots of great oldies:

by Jutdith Tylke Forever obsessed ;

by Tracey A love well worth the wait

by Shayne Terry Dear Lois , Duet , Fugue series;

by Pam Jernigan Hearts divided and Tryst

by Deby Stark the Dawning series (not so angsty) and SwapMeet: Burbank

by Nan Smith I love her Dagger series, the Home series, and trilogy starting with A night at the office ;

by Labrat the wonderful Are you lonesome tonight...? , Burnout , Caped fear , If tomorrow comes ,

by Raconteur I love expecially the Lifeflight series, but also Burden of conscience and A question of truth ;

by Kaethel Smallville 39 and Surfacing memories

by Margareth Brignell the Only you series and Swapmeet: Metropolis ;

by Kathy Brown and Demi When friends become lovers and also by Demi Heaven\'s prisoners ;

by Zoomway The persistence of memory

by Tank Wilson Day follows Nightfall

by Gerry Anklewicz Two faces of Clark

by Irene Dutch the Firestorm series and In Cat\'s corner

by Jeff Brodgen Lost and Found

by Kathy Sizer That dear Clark of mine

by Sheila Harper the wonderful In the beginning and A shot in the dark

but there are so many others...

Simona smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The lady eats FoLC arteries for breakfast.
Ok I totally snorted out loud. I'm so glad I did that in my bedroom instead of when I was hanging out with my roommate. :p

But anyway, I'll recommend Raconteur's Burden of Conscience to stay on topic. What a rollercoaster!

Jen

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Erin, I have an eBookwise 1150 , which as far as I can tell is very similar to the Rocketbook (I think it's just a later version of the same device). I thought I was the only person reading fanfic on one of these! I've been frequenting the online ebook forums lately, and no one ever mentions fanfic on them, but it's the primary thing I use mine for.

I adore the eBookwise. I used to print out pages and pages of fanfic at the school computer labs so I could take it with me on the bus, to the airport, etc. But I'll be graduating (hopefully) soon and I didn't want to be printing out all that when I'm paying for paper and ink wink For people who want to read fanfic sompelace other than the computer but don't want to kill off hundreds of trees <g>, an eBook reader is awesome. I've been lusting after the new Sony Reader, since the display is so beautiful, but I'm reluctant to spend that much money when the eBookwise is perfectly for my purposes.

Anyway, if (heaven forbid!) something ever happens to the Rocketbook (or if anyone is interested in ebook readers) it might be worth looking at the eBookwise. Iirc, it can open RocketBook files, so you shouldn't have to convert anything. I got mine on eBay new for slightly less than what eBookwise sells them for and it came with a SmartMedia card.

Merriwether
Merriwether
Eh, who needs a separate ebook reader? My Palm Tungsten E (and its Palm predecessors) have been my fanfic-reading (not to mention ebooks I actually pay for wink ) media of choice for years now. Especially useful for trips.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
1. Masques by Labrat (So much for being a has-been, Labrat! [Wink] )
ROTFL! Thanks, Lady Mirth! <g>

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Would agree that most of these fics as amongst my favourites, too. Thanks for mentioning one of my stories, Lab. That was kind of you. Clearly should have stopped writing fics after that, though.

but am thinking an e-bookwise, sounds like a good thing, though.

c. (who should not have peeked at this thread)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for mentioning one of my stories, Lab. Clearly should have stopped writing after that, though.
Okaaaaaay... There's a gauntlet thrown down I can't resist picking up. laugh I'll add in Carol's Connections . I've always been a sucker for alt Clark stories and this is one of the best, imo. I also loved Strange Visitors .

[Disclaimer: Not mentioning a story should not be taken to mean I read it and didn't enjoy it. <g> It more likely means I've never gotten around to reading it and it's on my (disturbingly large) 'to get to' list.]

That was kind of you.
Oh, nothing to do with kindness. <g> It's not a pity rec. wink The Recognition series is always the first to come to mind, whenever I think of stories to rec, because apart from just being a darned good set of stories, they're part of a small group of fic that were my first introduction to LNC fanfic. The ones that made me think, "Hey, this stuff is good. I need to read more." laugh Terrific writing, coupled with nostalgia for good times. It's a heady mix. goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Clearly should have stopped writing fics after that, though.
But then you wouldn't have won Best Overall for Yesterday, Upon The Stairs. confused

Yvonne

ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
First of all, THANK YOU!!! So many of you have reminded me of a ton of great stories that I'd forgotten I'd loved. I had a giant downloading party last night and now have a happily full "bookshelf" of fanfics to read. What could be better than that? laugh It's been fun to have my memory refreshed. If you have more recommendations, please keep 'em coming! thumbsup

Originally posted by YConnell:
Clearly should have stopped writing fics after that, though.
But then you wouldn't have won Best Overall for Yesterday, Upon The Stairs. confused

Yvonne [/QB]
Yeah, I don't get that either. confused Carol, YOU WON after that. Best Overall. Not many people can say that. Are you saying you should have stopped *before* winning such a big award? Weird. Take a step back and appreciate the fact and be grateful that your story struck such a big cord with people. That is (or should be) a writer's foremost desire--to have indulged yourself in a labor of love AND discover you have created something that touched readers. Awards and accolades should be secondary to your love of the process. If you love what you're doing and have part of your soul fulfilled by the creative process, then you're writing for the right reasons. If not...well, then you're just looking for ego stroking and should be doing something else. Carol, coming from a writer passionate about the process, I would love to see someone with as much talent as you have more self-confidence in your talents. You have a gift! Appreciate it, girl! thumbsup

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Franklin Rocket eBook...BTW, it's getting a little tired. Anyone know where I can pick another one up?
I don't but consider an older ipaq with an sd card slot. I use isilo and I used isiloX to create a compressed copy of the Entire Archive (text files) about 88 MB in size, easily fits on an sd card.

I can adjust the font size and the colors. It recalls where I was when I closed the book.

Fully searchable.

Patrick

Framework4
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Framework4:
I don't but consider an older ipaq with an sd card slot. I use isilo and I used isiloX to create a compressed copy of the Entire Archive (text files) about 88 MB in size, easily fits on an sd card.

I can adjust the font size and the colors. It recalls where I was when I closed the book.

Fully searchable. [/QB]
Hey, cool, Patrick! Thanks! I'm trying to remember my technology here, though. Do ipaqs have pretty small screens? I don't want to be squinting at itty bitty letters on a small screen, which is why I like my ebook since it's about the size of a regular novel and you can even switch the font size options to "large print." But if the ipaq has a bigger screen like this, I'm all over it! Thanks for the suggestion! thumbsup

~~Erin

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Yes they do have small screens about 2.25" wide by 3" high.

You'd might look for a Cybook. Windows ce 3 and a 10 inch screen.
http://www.bookeen.com/Community/ebook-community.aspx?selectionm=0
http://www.bookeen.com/images/Cybook/CybookHand.jpg
Cybook Tablet PC w/ Large Touch Screen on eBay
http://www.bookeen.com/Cybook/ebook-reader.aspx?selectionm=3

edited by Karen to reduce length of URL

Framework4
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Originally posted by Framework4:
You'd might look for a Cybook. Windows ce 3 and a 10 inch screen.
Hey, thanks! I never knew this product existed. I appreciate the links!

Erin

~~Erin

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
You might also look at something like this. Not as light but still a nice sized screen.

Pencentra

Framework4
Merriwether
Merriwether
I liked your Where, oh Where, do Supes clothes go, Erin. One of the best revelation stories with Lois discovering it herself.

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh! That reminds me of Carla Humbert's absolutely hilarious vignette - Quick Change.

And for more chuckles, try Kathryn Ann Kent's 48 Hours Without A Superman and Ultrawoman Lane's The Revenge Of Ultrawoman.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Carol, I just have to say - we are lucky you didn't stop writing before you had given us Yesterday, Upon the Stair.

Ann

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by TOC:
Carol, I just have to say - we are lucky you didn't stop writing before you had given us Yesterday, Upon the Stair.

Ann
I guess I haven't seen a convenient place, but I just want to give a huge ditto! "Yesterday" is truly one of my favorite longer fics. I love the way the revelation is treated. smile

JD

P
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
P
Erin, re your Franklin ebook,i've never seen one of those. I download tons of fic to my pda. I believe they're about the same size. I just recently bought a PalmOne Tungsten E . You just need to buy a expansion card for lots of extra room and you're all set. I highly reccommend it.
Here is a link to a review of them. http://www.hozt.com/reviews/palmone_tungsten_e_handheld_b4d1/ Oh, and whoever reccommended The Longest Road WIP thanks. I wasn't aware of it.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Ooh! A Tungsten E! I've had one of those for about two years, and I HIGHLY recommend it (or the E2, which my dad has had longer than I've had my E). I've also got a 1 GB Mini SD card with an adapter, so that I can use it with both my cell phone AND the Tungsten. smile

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Whats the difference between the tungston E and the E2?

Come on Lois you havent said a word since 1866!

Thanks for the avatar, Hana.
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Is this what you already have?

eBookwise-1150 eBook Reading Device with 64 Megabyte SmartMedia card
$124.95 plus shipping! (Device is shippable to USA and Canada only.)
About the size of a paperback book, weighing about a pound, and with its backlit screen, the eBookwise-1150 gives new meaning to the term "light reading." The device also includes powerful electronic features that offer you a reading experience beyond that of a traditional book. You can turn pages and change the text orientation just by pushing a button. By simply touching the screen, you can enlarge the text size, bookmark pages, highlight passages, make notes, search for key words and hyperlink to other parts of the book. This device includes a pre-installed 64 Megabyte SmartMedia Card, dramatically increasing the storage capability of your eBookwise-1150.

Framework4
Top Banana
Top Banana
Whats the difference between the tungston E and the E2?
The E2 has better graphics, etc. and it can expand and contract. The E is just a straight PDA, no expanding.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Blogger
Blogger
Being still fairly new to the fanfic game. Meaning I am still glued to the fanfic archive!!! I would also
recommend the Forever and All Eternity series by
Laura Davies. Swampmeet/Burbank and Swampmeet/Metropolis. thumbsup

Although, I must admit I am becoming more and more
addicted everyday!!! Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's
Hurt. I've read both versions of this fic and the nfic version one I like better.
thumbsup

Blogger
Blogger
Sorry!! I am still not up to par on knowing all the
author's names as some you guys are!

I am better at the titles! wink notworthy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard