Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Ooh, I know! I just reread this one smile This is Erin Klingler's The Accidental Husband smile

Hmm. What can I paste? Be back in a few.

Okay, how about this?

She had never been so frustrated. Never. In all her years as an investigative reporter, never had someone been so bold as to tell Lois Lane that she'd lost her edge.

Today it had happened.

This morning Ralph had walked casually past her desk, the day's edition of the Daily Planet in hand. He paused long enough to make sure she noticed him, then proceeded to say with a smirk, "Hmm, once again, another day goes by and the famous Lane byline hasn't even graced the front page." He saw her features flinch at his words, though she did her best to hide it, and it only served to encourage him. "Whatever is the world coming to?" he asked, his voice filled with mock exaggeration.

Her initial urge had been to stand up and slap that haughty expression right off his pudgy little face, but thankfully, she'd found enough control not to respond. Instead, she'd given him a searing glance and gone back to her phone conversation, pretending she hadn't been affected by his careless remark.

But inside, she had been hurt; the truth in the barb had wounded her more deeply than she cared to admit. Other than the occasional slump that every professional went through from time to time, she had always been the Planet's star reporter. Why had everything suddenly changed?

She hadn't written a decent story in a month and a half. Longer, probably, if she actually sat down with a calendar and counted the days, but there was no need for that. She was depressed enough already.

Her current investigation was a bust. Earlier in the morning, Lois had found out that the tip she had been given by one of her sources had turned out to be nothing more than a misunderstanding; he had overheard the wrong parts of a conversation and, consequently, come to the wrong conclusions. That particular situation, added to Ralph's comment, was responsible for her less-than-amiable demeanor and had, unfortunately, set the tone for the entire day.

The slump would bearable if Clark were here, she thought sullenly. Her partner always had the right words to reassure her and calm her down.

But Clark wasn't here anymore. It was funny, the way things had worked out, she mused. If Perry had told her five years ago that the day would come when she would loathe working alone, she would've told him he was crazy.

But then Clark had arrived on the scene and changed all that. Their names had been intertwined ever since, on byline after byline, award-winning story after story. After being his partner for four years, it was tough to acclimate herself to being "single" again. But that was the reality now; she was alone in her reporting.

And she just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Features Writer
Features Writer
One of my favorites! Tracey's A Love Well Worth the Wait

And for the next...

Lois stood on the front porch of the farmhouse, blowing a stream of air upwards as she unsuccessfully tried to dislodge a wayward strand of hair that was stuck to her forehead. She finally gave up and roughly brushed it away with her hand. "The first time we come to Smallville as a couple and we have to choose the hottest week of the year," she muttered.

Clark put a tentative hand on her back and rubbed gently. "I'm sorry," he said quietly. "I can't control the weather ... I had no idea it would be this hot when we picked this week to come out."

"It's not your fault," she answered back on a sigh.

Clark straightened a little, feeling encouraged for the first time all day. Lois wasn't leaning into his touch the way she usually did, but neither was she shrugging him off. "I guess if we had to pick a week for me to help with the chores, though," he offered, a little more animated, "this is it. I'd rather it be me doing any heavy work outside than Dad."

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Into Each Life... by Kathy Brown.

The first thing she noticed was the noise.

It seemed to come from somewhere far away, and yet it cut through
her skull with the force of an axe. Voices. People shouting.
Screaming. A loud, continuous bell, like an alarm. Sirens wailing.
And one voice, somehow familiar, weeping and repeating one word
over and over. "No. No, no, no, no. No!"

Then she became aware of the light. Harsh, over-bright, it hurt
her eyes. She blinked, trying to adjust, and gradually she became
accustomed to it and found that she could see more clearly. Yet,
as with the sound, it felt as if she were looking through a haze.
A smoky mirror, or a greasy lens too rarely cleaned.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
That's A Twist Of Fates by Wendy Richards.

Be right back with another quote...

Okay, here you go:

Prescott was too far from Metropolis to travel by taxi and too close to fly - at least by commercial airline. Clark could have flown there as Superman in a heartbeat. But he'd have had to explain to Perry and the accounting department at the Daily Planet why he didn't rent a car; and with everything else going on in his life right now, he just wasn't up to the trouble. So here he was, driving on a dark stretch of rural highway, a full moon illuminating the sky, and nothing but the radio to keep him company. And it wasn't doing a very good job since the mountains had interfered with reception and the best station he could receive was a scratchy, static-ridden one broadcasting a high school ball game.
See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oooh! I just read that one a few weeks ago for the second time! But I cannot remember for the life of me what it was called or who it was by. Grr.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I've Got This Friend by Supermom.

Back shortly.

Nan

Okay, I'm back. How about this one?

She woke up knowing something was wrong. She wasn't overly concerned at
first; she could handle trouble. Only she couldn't pinpoint what, exactly,
was troubling her -- a vague feeling of dread haunted her stomach, but her
mind was strangely clouded. Warily, she opened her eyes to find she was in
a sunny, cheerful, unfamiliar hotel room. She waited, lying still on the
bed, but could detect no other presence in the room. Carefully, she sat
up, looking around for any clues to jog her failing memory.

As she explored the contents of the room, the details began trickling back
to her. Of course, she was in Italy, with Kent, on their way to his place
in Switzerland. He was having some sort of trouble with the arrangements,
which had infuriated him but only amused her, and so they had been
traveling far slower than he'd intended.

But that didn't feel right either; it had a strange aura of true/not true
that puzzled her ... her mental picture of 'Kent' in particular felt wrong;
he shouldn't be quite so young, or so blond, but older, with dark hair ...
and glasses.... For some reason she was suddenly afraid.

Alright, she told herself, calm down. Start with what you know. My name
is ... Wanda? Wanda Detroit, I'm a singer ... no ... that's not right.

I'm not Wanda.

My name is Lois Lane.

Have fun.

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This is Just Like That ...? by the illustrious Pam Jernigan.

"Back off, Linda. He's taken."

Clark Kent stared at his partner, dumbfounded. Had someone kidnapped Lois Lane and replaced her with Cat Grant while his attention was distracted?

If there was one thing he'd depended on where Lois was concerned, it was that she would never lay claim to him openly like that. That was the whole point. Sure, she hated that Linda was flirting with him, making obvious her availability and willingness. But Lois was supposed to react the way she'd done time and again over the past couple of days: a façade of rolling-eyed irritation about the fact that another woman was coming on to him, together with insistent denial that she was feeling anything even remotely close to jealousy. Yet at the same time she would find excuses to snipe at him. Open hostility towards Linda, both to the other woman's face and to him, was also to be expected, together with an undercurrent of possessiveness - but not, of course, because Lois was jealous.

Top Banana
Top Banana
This is Wendy' Rival derailed !

I'll come back this evening with a new quote...

Ok, here I am with an unforgettable opening sentence:

"We have to let Lex kill Clark. I don't see any other way," said Lois
without preamble as Superman set her down on a mountainside high above
Metropolis.
Simona smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ok I'll confess to Googling since it's been a couple of days. I had no clue what story it was, but I think I need to read it soon!!

Forever Obsessed
by Judith Tylke

Be back later with a new one.
Jen

I always loved this opening; let's give it a try...
When he was six years, two months, and nine days old, Clark Kent had an epiphany.

As epiphanies go it wasn't especially earth-shattering or even particularly stunning. It was small. It was quiet. It was inconsequential to anyone but Clark alone. But to him, at that
particular moment in his life, it was everything.

It had made what had begun as an ugly day suddenly good. And everything that had been wrong in his small corner of the world all at once right again.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Ooh! I love this opening, too, Jen!! This is the ever-famous epic Masques by LabRat!

And from my top ten favorite stories list:

APRIL 16TH, 1976
SMALLVILLE, KANSAS
[ALTWORLD 2]

The roads were icier than he'd expected for this time of year, but the little car wasn't having too much trouble navigating the rain-slicked streets. He turned the wheel carefully, knowing that the ditches in this part of the countryside were deep and that in this weather it would be all too easy to lose control.

Martha made a small sound as she shifted in the passenger seat, her head resting against the window as she slept. Jonathan smiled at her and peeked over his shoulder to check the backseat. Their ten-year-old son was also asleep, his little body stretched out full length. Jonathan chuckled a little at the sight, then turned his attention back to his driving.

It was certainly no fault of Jonathan's that the driver of the van couldn't slow down fast enough. It wasn't his fault that the roads were wet and slick, that the other driver had indulged in one too many drinks before he left his party. But the slightly inebriated man in the other vehicle hadn't counted on the condition of the pavement beneath him, hadn't thought to allow for the spring rains and the unusual chill in the air that made them dangerous. He missed the stop sign entirely, tires skidding, and shot into the intersection just as the Kents entered it.
Sara smile1

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, this is easy! In dreams by Kaylle, a wonderful story!

She sat, knees neatly together, back straight, hands clasped tidily in her lap. Her hair was brushed, her make-up done, and she was wearing her nicest jeans and favourite sweater.

He was late. He was never late.

Her gaze darted to the clinic’s swivel doors as they began to turn and another figure, darkened against the sunlight streaming in from outside, came through.

Not him.

She looked away quickly so as not to be caught staring, snatched a glance up at the clock behind the reception desk. Nine minutes. He was nine minutes late.

The woman receptionist smiled across at her. “Not like Clark to be late,” she remarked.

She shook her head in agreement.

“I expect he’s stuck in traffic,” the woman suggested pleasantly. Doris, wasn’t it? Doris worked the early morning shift until eleven, then Anne did the afternoons. Steve took over in the evening and worked the late shift.

After two months of living in the clinic, she knew all the staff. Even the cleaners.

But Doris was wrong. Clark didn’t drive; he flew. Or walked. Doris knew that, really - she was just trying to reassure. Even the ancillary staff played their part in caring for the clinic’s patients.

“Nice sweater,” said Doris. “Is it new?”

She nodded. Clark had bought it for her. She’d mentioned in passing that she didn’t have any warm clothes, and the very next day, he’d brought her the sweater. She’d felt guilty, hadn’t meant to hint that she wanted anything from him, but he’d brushed her worries aside with a smile and told her to try it on. It had fit beautifully, and instantly, it had become a firm favourite.
Simona smile

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Eeee, I've been quoted! That is so cool laugh Glad you guys liked the story smile

I know what this last one is, but I had to cheat and look it up so I'll be quiet and see if someone else gets it smile Although, reading it and taking it in a completely different context, I'm sort of inspired...

J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I just read that story; excellent!
Damaged by Yvonne Connell

How 'bout this:

Lois Lane wandered over to her husband's desk with a pensive look
on her face. Clark Kent, looking up and seeing Lois deep in worried
thought, seized her and pulled her into his lap. Before she could
do more than yelp, he planted a warm, reassuring kiss on her lips,
to which she readily responded.

At one time, this action might have elicited some wolf-whistles and
cat-calls from their co-workers, but by now they were all used to
Lane and Kent acting like a couple of teenagers at a drive-in.

As they broke, Clark gave Lois one of his smiles. "There, does that
make whatever it is that is troubling you better?"

She giggled briefly. "Well, it certainly doesn't hurt, but...." Her
voice took on a more serious tone. "I'm worried about Jimmy."
Good Luck..
Julie

T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Sounds vaguely familiar...

Tank (who, as an old man, can't really count on his memory anymore)

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Even with Tank's clue this was hard to find. He has written so dang many stories! (much to our pleasure, of course)

This is The Costume .

Next up:

Clark awoke from sleep with a start. Images were flashing through his brain. An attractive, young woman with short, dark hair; she was in trouble. He wasn't really sure who she was and yet he seemed to know her at the same time, like you knew an old friend. Her mouth formed the words, "Help me, Superman." Then there were more images; flashes of a house that he'd never been in, and yet it seemed so familiar to him, like he'd lived there before. Again, more images of the woman. Her smile, her eyes, they looked so loving, so warm and inviting. And then the vision was gone.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I think this is "Remember Me" by MetroRhodes. I'm not even sure how or why this rang a bell.

And now. The first line from one of my all time favourite stories ever:

Geez! What a day! First it was car trouble, then her
source had decided he hadn't exactly seen what he thought he'd
seen, then Perry had refused to run her story (even though she
was sure she could get corroboration by press time), the
photos she'd been counting on for another story had mostly
turned out blurry, and on, and on, and on. Why am I a
reporter anyway? I must be out of my mind! Nothing but
aggravation ...

**~~**

Swoosh --->
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
It seemed familiar and it's Meet Me in Kansas City by Chris Mulder Really recommend it!

H. G. Wells stepped out of his Time Machine and looked down at his black
suit covered in dust. He took his handkerchief out of his pocket and began
to wipe himself free of the brownish red dirt. He walked through the
solarium which housed his Time Machine and into the main house. He was
very excited about documenting his latest time travel to the past. A smile
lingered on his lips as he moved into the library and walked over to his
desk. He was always eager to capture on paper the events at his journey's
end and now was no exception. He sat in his chair and unlocked the middle
drawer. Taking out a black journal, he lovingly thumbed through the pages
and mumbled words of approval to himself until he came to a blank page.
Picking up his pencil he began...

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Top Banana
Top Banana
Finally I got it! This is an IRC ROund Robin " SoulMates Chronicles: The Lone Rider -- The Beginning"!

Now the new quote:

Clark rolled over, still half asleep and put his arm around his wife. He loved snuggling with her while still in the netherworld somewhere between awake and asleep. He heard a small groan as she nestled back against his chest. Her hair was suddenly in the way, getting in his mouth as he yawned. It had never done that before.

He opened his eyes and looked at the woman lying next to him. Sure enough, her hair was longer than he remembered Lois' being, but she had mentioned a couple of weeks ago that she was growing it out again. Maybe it had gotten longer than he realized.

It took a second, but it was beginning to dawn on him that something just wasn't *right*. He looked around and didn't recognize any of the furniture in the room.

The door opened and suddenly there was a small child running towards the bed.

"DADDY! MOMMY! Time to get up! Today's my birthday!" The little boy jumped on the bed. "Get up! Get up!"

Clark sat up trying to comprehend what was happening to him.

The dark headed child jumped into his arms. "It's my birthday, Daddy!"

"Um, I heard. How old are you now?"

"I'm five! And next week I start kindergarten!"

"Wow." Clark didn't understand what was happening - as badly as he wanted children, he certainly didn't have any yet, much less a five-year-old - but he decided that he better play along until he found out more about what was going on.

"Mommy! Mommy! Wake up!"

"I'm up. I'm up." The woman next to him rolled over. "Come here and give your mom a hug, CJ."

Clark looked at the woman next to him, unable to believe what his eyes and ears were telling him. The woman next to him wasn't Lois.

It was Lucy.
Simona smile

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
This is the really, really wonderful Sister Switch .

"Oh! Oh! Hold that...door...open."

Lois didn't actually expect anyone on the elevator to grant her request. It was all the way across the food court she was standing in, and unless someone on there happened to be a lip reader or was fluent in the language of Lois-Lane-arm-waving, there was no way anyone would know she was even making one. So she was surprised to see the doors slide back open when they'd been just inches from sealing shut.

Lois snatched her Chinese take-out off the counter before she rushed across the mall's food court to eye the elevator's sole passenger suspiciously. He was staring at her, looking a little stunned, but holding on to that Doors Open button like it was the most important task of his life. That alone was enough to make her nervous. Why in the world would this guy wait for her to walk all the way across the food court unless he *really* wanted to be alone in that tiny space with her?

Merriwether
Merriwether
Between Floors 7 and 8, by Jessi Mounts, if I'm not mistaken.

Try this one.

"I hate it when I get kidnapped," Lois announced to
her cell-mates. This was actually not true; after spending a
sedate year on the campaign trail, she was enjoying the
excitement. Clark was right there with her, after all, even if he
did have to be careful. Their Secret Service agent, Keith
Jackson, had been grabbed along with them, and his presence
slowed things down somewhat.
"You do not," Clark contradicted her amiably. He
wasn't particularly thrilled to be in this situation, but the mild
tonic of danger was making Lois sparkle, and he did so love it
when she sparkled.
She grinned, earning and ignoring a quizzical look
from Keith. "Well, it doesn't matter; Superman will get us out
pretty soon." Just as soon as one of them figured out how to
do it without rousing Keith's suspicions, that is...
Keith had had the worst of the short fight when they'd
been kidnapped. He could feel a bruise starting to spread on
his cheek, but with his dark coloring, he suspected the others
hadn't noticed it yet. He fully expected to lose his job over this
fiasco, but the most important thing was to get the civilians out
of here, and he intended to do his best. "We need to try to
escape on our own, and not count on Superman. I mean,
where was he an hour ago, when we were grabbed?"
Nettled, Clark stood. "Well, I guess he thought he
could relax, since the Secret Service was on the case."

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard