Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I thought I'd start a new thread with this:

The first lines of a fic are such an important hook for a story, hopefully making us want to read more:) So I wondered if anyone might be interested in a fanfic quote game limited to great beginnings?

Here's the opening from a fic by one of my favourite writers. smile

The sound of the ringing phone woke Clark from a deep sleep. He
rolled over and glanced at the clock. Three AM. Who would be
calling him at three AM?

"Hello, Clark?"

Oh. Of course. "Lois? Are you okay?"

"No! I'm not okay! I was tired but I couldn't fall asleep so I
started watching Ivory Tower and... Oh no! I just told you I
watch Ivory Tower! I can't believe I told you I watch a soap
opera!"
c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hey,

I'm racing out the door, but I LOVE the idea! And I love the opening lines you picked. lol Can't wait to see which story it is!

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Arawn posted the answer to this ( The Tower of Babble by Paul-Gabriel Wiener) in the other thread so I am going to go find another one. Back in a bit.

ok, here you go:

"One hundred and seventeen buttons," the Wedding Coordinator had pronounced with no small satisfaction, as she closed the last one. Between the bride's mom and herself, the "buttoning in" of Lois had taken a mere half an hour. During which the bride had stood quietly, mind racing, as each button further sealed her fate- locking her away from her former life, her former self, and her former...ummm...partner.

lisa in the sky with diamonds
Features Writer
Features Writer
Okay, since I posted the most recent quote on the other thread, I might as well do so here too. smile

This is CC Aiken's first story in her unintended (and wonderful) "Un" trilogy, Lois Unbuttoned

Next one...

The attorney softly touched Clark's elbow. "Mr. Kent? I think we're all here now. Please come into the conference room."

Clark looked up at the older man's sympathetic eyes and slowly nodded. His knees were kitten-weak and nearly didn't support him as he stood.

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
The answer to Kathy's is She\'s by Terry Leatherwood. An achingly beautiful story. However I am not going to post another quote because I see that CC already did so.

ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
oops, got in too late with Lois Unbuttoned - just ignore my new quote - I'll edit it out

c.

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
Looks like cc and I were posting at the same time, not once but twice! My blond head is confused now - not sure sure who's turn it is but I will just go ahead and post one:

He couldn’t take his eyes off them. The cartoon and the black and white man, the sullen teenager, the young man with the wooden facial expressions and the tall one. Each of them claimed to be Clark Kent, and yet not one of them looked at all like him.

A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I know that! One of Shayne Terry's latest stories... *does a bit of searching...* Group Therapy !

Be right back...

Okay, here I am!

Are we rolling?

We are? Oh! Ahem.

Good evening, this is Lance Sharper, coming to you live from the home of Metropolis' own Clark Kent, AKA Superman.
Nice idea for a game, Carol! smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
That is The Big Debut by Mary, Queen of the Capes.

How about this one?

His voice was smoky, husky, filled with the pain of a lifetime of regrets, and as he began to sing, the darkened room fell silent. All eyes focused on a single dark figure perched on a stool at the end of the room, and his eyes seemed to be focused out into infinity.

ccmalo Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Shayne Terry's "Duet" smile
www.lcfanfic.com/stories

new one:

The headline story of the morning edition of the Daily Planet had something to do with national politics, and was therefore, naturally, ignored by all the newsroom staff except those who had written it, were assigned to follow it up, or whose job it was to cover that sort of thing. Of much more interest was a local
story -- *very* local, featuring as it did two of the paper's own
stars -- namely the previous night's charity Bachelor Auction,
and what happened there.

c.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I know this! Montrose\'s Toast by Phil Atcliffe!

Now a new one from a great story:

The large double bed could just be seen through the door to
the bedroom, but for some reason Lois' eyes gravitated to
it. She swallowed hard. She'd been in the honeymoon suite
at the Lexor previously. She'd even slept in that bed
before. But this time was different.

She heard the man behind her paying the bellboy and closing
the door. Somehow when she had accepted his proposal, she
hadn't considered what would happen on their wedding night.
She shook her head slightly. It was crazy. Obviously, he
would expect to consummate their marriage. Still, she
wondered if he was as nervous as she was.

She could feel him come up behind her, wrapping his arms
around her waist. She tried to force herself to relax. She
had been in his arms before.

"It's going to be okay, Lois," he whispered.
Simona smile

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Whee, I know! This is First Comes Marriage by ML Thompson. Definitely worth reading smile

Off to find another quote... be back in a bit.

Okay, how about this?
Whistling, Clark Kent stepped off the elevator into the newsroom of The Metropolis Star--and shied back as a newspaper was shoved into his face.

"Hey, Clark, Mike led with your story! Congrats!"

Clark's dazzling smile flashed, and he pushed the paper to one side to reveal Paul Banning's gapped-toothed grin. "Thanks, Paul." He had already seen the morning paper, but it was nice to have his co-workers recognize his achievement.

"Kent! In my office!" the editor, Mike Nichols, called.

Paul clapped him on the shoulder as he turned away. "Good going, kid."

Clark nodded and continued across the newsroom. At 28, he'd been in the newspaper business for half a dozen years; he'd had front page stories in papers all over the world, but here he was a newcomer, and maybe from Paul's vantage point of twenty years, he *was* just a kid. He shrugged, his tweed sports jacket sliding loosely over his coarse cotton shirt. Okay, so maybe the other papers weren't great metropolitan newspapers, but The Star was no Daily Planet, either.

K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
Hmm... I guess no one recognizes this from the first lines? How do I post a hint? Can I post something from later in the story, even though this is the "opening lines" game? <g>

How about this? The beginning of the next scene?
Even at breakfast, Lex Luthor looked like he'd stepped off the cover of GQ. As he wiped his mouth on the linen napkin and stood up, he appeared ready to chair a board meeting, which, in fact, he was scheduled to do in an hour. "Chef Andre surpassed himself this morning," he noted. "Mrs. Cox, remind me to increase his salary."

The beautiful black woman dipped her head in a gesture that seemed more regal than dutiful. "Yes, Lex."

He turned to the woman who sat on his other side. "Are you going to work today, my dear?"

Lois took a sip of rich, full-flavored coffee and felt a sudden nostalgia for the strong, black brew that they had consumed by the gallon at The Planet. "No," she said at last. "My assistant can handle anything that comes up." Somehow, after her wedding to Lex, she had been promoted to some kind of producer, and she no longer wrote or researched stories. She didn't even assign stories to other reporters or head up story meetings like Perry used to. People occasionally dropped by to ask her opinion about one story or another, but that was it. She had never felt so useless.

After the destruction of The Daily Planet three months ago, her world had collapsed. Lex had been there to pick up the pieces, but in the debacle, Lois Lane, world-class investigative reporter, had vanished and never come back.

She swirled her coffee, staring into the tiny vortex as if it could tell her where Lois Lane had gone, and shook her head. "I won't be going to work," she repeated.

Lex studied her through narrowed eyes, then said briskly, "Very well. Mrs. Cox and I have some reports to go over before the board meeting. I'll see you this evening at dinner."

Without looking up, Lois raised her hand in a half-hearted wave. "Bye, Lex." The door closed behind them, and she picked up the paper, glancing down at the lurid headline: "I am a fugitive from a sex slave ring." Her mouth twisted. Perry never would have let a headline like that go out on his paper, but The Star had always been more sensational than The Planet.

Three paragraphs into the story, she had changed her mind, and she looked back at the by-line. Clark Kent. She didn't recognize the name, but whoever he was, he was no tabloid hack. Returning to the story, she lost herself in the narrative, following the terrifying ordeal of Melissa Taylor, a college coed who was kidnapped on her way to a night class and found herself drugged and forced into prostitution as a sex slave. Without sensationalizing his subject, this Clark Kent brought the girl to life, and by drawing his readers into her story, he made a stronger statement against the horrors of forced prostitution than a dozen editorials or sermons could have done.

M
Merriwether
Merriwether
M
no idea, but I hope someone answers soon because I am dying to read it!

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
This is "In the Beginning" by Sheila Harper and is on the Nfic Archive.

Okay, here's my offering:

Cat Grant stretched languidly as she lounged against the tousled pillows, a sheet wrapped haphazardly around her, barely covering her naked breasts. She watched, contented and appreciative, as Brandon neatly fastened his gold cuff links.

"You're sure you can't stay longer?" she purred, her voice husky with pleasure.

He smiled briefly at her over one shoulder before returning his eyes to the mirror. As she watched, he twitched his tie into place.

"No. I wish I could, but I have a pressing engagement that I can't miss."

"Mmmm, I can think of something 'pressing' I'd like to do," Cat drawled as she stretched again. In the mirror, his eyes watched her move. She was pleased that she continued to fascinate him even when he was physically sated.

As was she.

Not only was he a fantastic lover, but Brandon was just so much fun! He wasn't just the most playful man she'd ever been with, he was also sensitive and sensual, and he cared for her. She knew that. He cared for her with an honest heart, seeing her not just as a prize but as someone to be cherished. And he was someone to be cherished, too.

For the first time in her life, Cat Grant could honestly say that she was in love - full-blown, true-blue, head-over-heels in love. And it felt good!

She'd never been open to the possibility of love before, but her experience with the Nightfall asteroid had clearly shown her just what was missing in her life. It was scary being so vulnerable emotionally but after having time come
so close to literally running out, she couldn't hold herself aloof any longer.

Brandon moved to sit down on the edge of the bed. He reached out to cup Cat's cheek in a large, warm hand. "I'll call you tomorrow."

She nodded as she pressed her lips against his palm.

"We'll have lunch if that's okay."

She nodded again and accidentally on purpose let the sheet slip.

His breath caught. Bending, he kissed her lips fervently. "If I didn't have to go..." he breathed.

"I know," she murmured, sliding her hands up his muscled arms.

"I have to, though. I don't have a choice."

His gaze was hot on her skin.

"You've been so mysterious about your business. Will you be able to tell me more after your meeting?" Cat took pity on him and gathered the sheet back into place.

With an effort, Brandon looked up to meet her eyes. "No. Not really. All I can tell you is that it has to do with a friend that's getting married. In an indirect sort of way." He chuckled and kissed her once more and then with a
visible effort, stood up. "Oh, by the way," he said, his voice light and teasing. "I have some gossip for you for 'Cat's Corner.'"

"Oh?"

He smiled down at her. "I've decided to get married."

"Really?" Cat purred, her heart turning somersaults upon hearing his words. She hadn't realised that he'd been thinking as seriously about her as she had about him. "But isn't it customary to ask the lady first?" she said with a
triumphant laugh.

He turned away and shrugged into his overcoat. "I have. Julia Hawthorne. She has impeccable breeding. It's a good solid match. We'll give you the exclusive."

No words came to Cat's lips as she stared up at the stranger wearing Brandon's body.

He turned back to her, the same easy smile on his face. "See you tomorrow," he said as he dropped a kiss on her gaping mouth. "This was fun! I can hardly wait to do you again."

And he left, with Cat still frozen and staring in shock after him.

Have fun!

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
R
Blogger
Blogger
R
What a fun thread.

That's from
In Cat's Corner
By Irene Dutch

http://www.lcfanfic.com/stories/2002/incats.txt

How about this one:

"We're not that different after all," Lois pronounced.

"You think so?" Clark said, shooting a quizzical glance at
her. She was bestowing a forgiving smile on him, clearly
pleased with her deduction.

"Sure," she said confidently. "According to Jimmy, if you
go back far enough we're probably related."

"Somehow, I doubt that," Clark murmured, an unholy
amusement stealing over him. Lois raised an eyebrow, and
he added hastily, "I'm from Kansas, remember?"

Rhea

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I recognised it, but had to do a bit of searching because I couldn't remember the title.

It's Night Errant by Meredith Knight

Lois dropped Clark off at his apartment with the hard copies of the
Luthor file not long after Perry and Jimmy departed. She sat down to
an evening of Chinese take out and research on her laptop as she
poured over the documents carefully, looking for any clues. She
removed her reading glasses and rubbed the bridge of her nose. A
knock at the door startled her. She quickly closed up all of the
files and turned off the laptop. She walked to the front door and
looked the through the peephole. She felt her stomach clench and her
heart slammed against her rib cage. Slowly, she exhaled and opened
the door.
This is one of my favourites I definitely recommend it if you haven't already read it!

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ohh, I love the Lifeflight series! This is Lifeflight III by Raconteur!

So a new one...

Got it!

Perry White was worried.

He stood at the window of his office, looking out at the
newsroom where his star team of investigative reporters was
currently working on a follow-up to the capture of Diana
Stride, and the testimony of Michael DiSanto, the Mr. X who
had been her partner when she worked as an assassin for
Intergang.

The unsupported allegation she had made at her arraignment,
that Clark Kent was in actuality, Superman, had been
virtually ignored by the responsible media and pounced on
by the tabloids in order to sell their rags. And that was
what worried Perry. With the others, he had laughed
publicly at the statement, but he, alone--at least he hoped
he was the only one--had realized that she was speaking the
absolute truth.
Simona smile

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ooh! I recognize that one. Argh what's the title... It's so a Nan Smith. Ah ha, Faces. I double checked. Back in a bit with another one.

Jen

Ok, let's give this one a try. I can be notorious for picking obscure stories, but this was a Kerth nominee...ps I'm leaving for Vegas til Sunday so have a free for all if it's too obscure!

"It's them!"

The lone announcement erupted into a cheer as Lois Lane and Clark Kent stepped into the frenzied newsroom. A makeshift banner, proclaiming "Congratulations Lois and Clark!" was flung haphazardly across the back wall, food cluttered
every free space, and someone had decided it was all right to pull out a bottle of champagne at nine in the morning. But Lois and Clark only caught a glimpse of this before the riot closed in, smothering them with their congratulations.

The arm Lois felt Clark wrap lightly around her to keep her from being smashed by the crowd all together was greeted by delighted whistles.

"Way to go, CK!" a voice called out.

"Think you kept us in the dark long enough?"

"Ha! I knew what was going on all the time. I just can't believe they took so long to admit to it."

"Oh, you did not! You were still planning to seduce him last week."

"You've got great taste, Lois. I'll give you that."

"Why," Lois murmured in Clark's direction, "am I getting the distinct impression I'm not going to like whatever we did?"

As if in answer, a guy from accounting plunked a party hat on Lois's head and asked, "Mind if I kiss the-"

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
I can't help it! This is For better or for Worse by Jessi Mounts, where Lois and Clark pretend to be married! laugh

I'll come back with a new one...

I love this one:

"Excuse me, I'm WHAT?!" Lois stared at the city clerk on the other side of the window in utter disbelief.

"According to my records, you're already married," the clerk repeated, more slowly this time.

"I am *not*," Lois insisted adamantly. "I would *know* if I was married! You think a woman forgets something like that? Maybe *you* would," she spat out, causing the clerk to stiffen defensively, "but I certainly wouldn't! I am not married!"

"Yes, you are. It says right here that you are, as of last December."

"Who does it say I'm married *to*?"

"Umm..." the clerk mumbled as she studied the records on more time. "A Mr. Clark Kent."
Simona smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard