Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#152254 11/04/06 07:33 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Everything I have written so far is pretty much crap. I would be embarrassed if anyone got a hold of it. I am forcing myself to not go back and read and over think every single sentence. This is a BIG thing for me because in everything I write I sit and anguish over every sentence to make sure that it sounds correct. I get so caught up in that aspect that I forget to be creative and let things flow. My stories never get anywhere because of it. I think that is why my drabbles are so well done but full length stories I can never crank out.

I'm hoping with this story to let my creativity come out and then go back and anguish over syntax and grammar and the fixing of plot holes.

Current word count: 4,423 and I haven't written anything today. So not to shabby so far.

Angry Clark: CLARK SMASH!
Lois: Ork!
#152255 11/05/06 08:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Way to go, guys! Keep up the good work. Remember, the whole *point* of NaNoWrMo is to force you to keep writing, even when you think what you've got is crap. Just write and accumulate words. There's time to edit later -- including time to ditch huge chunks, if you feel you ought to -- but right now, just focus on getting a novel done.

I mean, what's more impressive to tell your mom about? "Hey mom, I polished another four paragraphs today," or "Guess what, I finished my novel!" laugh No matter how it comes out, you'll be able to say that you've written a novel (which might be pretty awful, but you don't have to share that detail wink ). How cool is that?

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#152256 11/05/06 04:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Thanks Pam! laugh I'll try to remember your advice next time I sit down and spend half an hour re-reading and fixing what I've already written. hehe! I keep doing that and I just don't know why.... wink

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
#152257 11/08/06 08:16 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
7,442 words and counting...

Still behind but I'm making it!

How are you guys doing?

#152258 11/09/06 02:53 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm at 10000 and some this morning. So, behind as well, but I'm sure I'll be able to catch up.

I've got a pretty cool story so far. My characters aren't always "in character" and some of the scenes are borderline ridiculous, but ah well... I'll edit it later!

#152259 11/12/06 11:20 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well... I knew it would get to this at some point, really, cause I started with an idea that I could have wrapped up in 8 pages... (well, ok, maybe not, but you know.)

I have no story. I have no plot. I have *no* idea.

ROFL!

I'm so lost that at one point, I mention that Lois is reading a novel so I've started writing that and adding full chapters of that novel (which had no more story or plot than the rest of it, mind you) throughout the story. Of course Lois is going to meet the author at some point, so it's not just useless words, but geez... I'm writing a story in a story here. Pathetic isn't it?

Mind you, adding this has given me 5000 words more and I'm pretty happy about that. Currently standing at 15000 words and it's just 5PM so I've still got several hours left on my week-end marathon. wink

How are you guys holding up?

#152260 11/12/06 05:22 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I have actually just gracefull bowed out of it. As expected I really don't have time for it. frown My reasoning:

1. I have another hobby that is eating all my time up. I have been spending most of my time co-ordinating projects and proof reading things in order to get them released. So when I get home this takes up most of my time and energy.
2. I picked up Final Fantasy 12 (video game) and it has been eating up a lot of my time as well. It is a really good game though and it is more fun that I expected. It helps me unwind.
3. I have to finish a cross stitch by the end of February: See It It is for my friends baby's room.
4. This is the biggest reason. I don't like my story. At all. I have no passion for it. I am still planning on sitting down and writing something and will probably do it along the same lines as what I am doing now. But I want something more solid to work with.

If I didn't already have so many things going on. I would probably have pushed through with it, but right now since it isn't something I would want to try to clean up later I don't think it is worth it for me. frown

#152261 11/12/06 06:17 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Sorry to hear that you've dropped out, Jojo.

I'm still going strong. But I haven't dared go back and read anything I've written because I'm afraid that if I do, I'll end up cutting things out (and, hey, right now the object is to reach 50,000 words laugh ).

But some of the story is just my ramblings - which I guess is, to some degree, the point of my story eek .

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#152262 11/13/06 02:53 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Sorry to hear you dropped out, Jojo. frown

Although, I can easily understand the "no time" issue. I don't have time for this either and I'm starting to wonder if I'll cross the finish line.

I don't have much of a story or a plot, like I said, but some of what I've written is pretty darn good, if I may say so myself. I spent a little bit of time reading some of it again last night (and not cutting anything out, rather adding stuff in here and there) and I couldn't believe that this stuff came out of my head. I've really been pushing my limits, that's for sure. So no matter what I'll end up happy I did this cause it's a great exercise - especially for little old "English isn't my first language" me. wink

#152263 11/19/06 01:31 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I just wanted to tell you that I've just typed my two favorite words: The End. And I have over 60,000 words.

Yay, me! wink

However, in order to get it written quickly, I haven't been doing any editing - and hardly any thinking about what I'm writing blush . As a result, when I went back today to start making changes... boy do I have a lot of work to do to make it readable razz

Anyway, keep writting, guys. Does it ever feel good when you pass that 50,000 word mark.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
#152264 11/20/06 11:45 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
ML!!! Go, you!!! party party party

See ya,
AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#152265 11/20/06 03:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Awesome cross stitch, JoJo. Yeah, you will need a lot of time for that. Most people just don't realize the time it takes for these. I've got one I've been working on for years....

I'm going to try this next year. I knew I just didn't have time this year.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#152266 11/20/06 04:03 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ok, I'm not in on the NaNoWriMo thing, but I saw Nancy's post about cross stitch, and just had to share . . .

My sister is going to do a cross stich for my parents for Christmas. It's basically a cross stitch copy of this picture of the four of us kids from this past January when we all went to Sears and got a whole buncha pictures taken. She asked me to find a program to make it into a cross stich pattern, so I found one online. She's never done cross stich before, so I'm a little leery about the time it's going to take--even though she has lots of time nowadays--since there's only 35 days left until Christmas.

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place
#152267 11/30/06 05:03 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
*lets out a huge sigh of relief*

I made it!

50,002 words. I guess the last two are "The End" *lol* Wasn't planning on being this close to the mark, I think it's actually pretty funny. wink

Congrats, ML! Anyone else make it to the finish line with us? wink

#152268 11/30/06 05:34 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
DSDragon: Tell her good luck. It takes me forever...

I suggest Pattern Maker btw for the best cross stitch program. smile

Congrats to everyone for making it to the finish line! Most of my friends made it as well. smile I'm so proud of them. I really hope I can do it next year. smile

#152269 11/30/06 06:35 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Congratulations, LaraMoon.

Now just edit it in time for the archiving deadline. wink

I think, therefore, I get bananas.

When in doubt, think about time travel conundrums. You'll confuse yourself so you can forget what you were in doubt about.

What's the difference between ignorance, apathy, and ambivalence?
I don't know and I don't care one way or the other.
#152270 12/01/06 03:12 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Now just edit it in time for the archiving deadline. wink
ROFL! Yeah... no... really. wink I'm going to take time to tweak this baby a little bit before I start even thinking about posting it. But I will definitely post it! laugh

#152271 12/01/06 06:10 PM
MLT Offline
Merriwether
Merriwether
Congrats, Laramoon. Feels good to pass that 50,000 word mark, doesn't it.

I also thought I'd let you know about something - for you and for anyone else who completed this task. I read on the NaNo site that there is a place that will give all winners of the contest a free paperback copy of their books. I assume it's legit since it was advertised on the NaNo site (see here: here - under the title: Some thoughts on Publishing)

That link will send you here

I don't know for sure if it is legit, but I'm certainly considering sending my copy in (once I make sure I can ensure my copyright, of course).

ML wave

#152272 12/02/06 05:06 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
oooh! nifty! I'll look it up for sure, thanks!!

#152273 12/03/06 08:25 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Lara!! Yay, you!! And LOL at your word count! laugh

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard