Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hello all. Yes once again I'm being lazy and I'm back here to prey on all the knowledge of my FoLC friends out there.

I'm writing a story in which Clark didn't move to Metropolis (yet - it's kind of a Pilot "rewrite"). Instead, he stays in Smallville and becomes the editor of the Smallville paper.

I was thinking it was called the Smallville Post or maybe the Smallville Gazette (then again I may be thinking of the Borneo Gazette).

I've looked through a few scripts and can't find anything. I'm betting what I need to do is watch the "Man of Steel Bars" from season 1. Doesn't Clark tell Lois he's leaving because he's got a job as editor for the Smallville (?)

Anyway, I don't have my DVD's handy and thought I'd pick your brains. Anyone know?

(Wow - that was long for one simple question)

Thanks! smile1

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yep! DJ is writing! smile1 The paper is Smallville Post.

He tells her that he's leaving to take a job as the editor of the Smallville Post
From Amanda\'s Lois and Clark Page . Amanda's page has useful detailed episode guides . thumbsup

I'm looking forward for your new story, DJ! hyper

Andreia laugh

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
Kerth
Kerth
Totally a guess, but I think it was the Smallville Post.

I'm no help at all, huh? wink I checked the script but apparently that was an ad-libbed line because the only time "Smallville" shows up in the script for "Man of Steel Bars" is Clark saying "I can't go back to Smallville."

<shrug>

Sue
(now humming "Don't Go Back To Rockville" but substituting "Smallville"...)

Lois: You know, I have a funny feeling that you didn't tell me your biggest secret.

Clark: Well, just to put your little mind at ease, Lois, you're right.
Ides of Metropolis
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks Andreia! You're wonderful! grumble because I figured I'd have to drag out my DVD's, find the ep and watch it.

You guys are great! Saved me some time! I had originally gone with Smallville Post, so I guess I chose correctly.

Thanks to you both!

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
Blogger
Blogger
I hope you don't mind me butting in...

I was just watching the pilot episode--the scene where Perry is interviewing Clark for the first time. He looks over Clark's resume and one of the first things he says is, "Let's see here. Uh...Editor, Smallville Press. Where is that?"

I hope that helps!

Emrys

It's only with the heart that one can see clearly. What's essential is invisible to the eye. ~The Little Prince~
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I had seen that too Emrys, but I assumed that Smallville Press was referring to either a college or a high school paper. (Don't ask me why I made that assumption - I just did) I could see Clark being an editor for his high school or college paper...

Just a guess.

For my story I think I'll stick with Smallville Post.

Oooh. You know, I just thought of another place I could check (if I'm feeling ambitious). Remember in Tempus Fugitive when they go back in time to Smallville, 1966. Lois grabs a paper to look at the date. I wonder if we can see the paper clearly enough to see if it's the Smallville Post???

Just a thought. smile1 If I quit being lazy and drag out my DVD's, I'll let you know.

Thanks for pointing that out though! laugh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Your request: laugh

[Linked Image]

In "Tempus Fugitive" really it's "Smallville Press". huh You choose. wink

Andreia smile

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Wow! eek Andreia, girl, you are awesome! grumble

I know, I know, I'm a big baby.

Okay, well - unless any of you would like to choose for me :-) - I guess Smallville Press it is then since it has more mentions in the series.

Thanks everyone!!!

P.S. - To Andreia - Yes, I'm writing a new lengthy fic in response to a request by Tahu. It will be a while probably before I post it because my beta is swamped right now. It's entitled "New Beginnings" when I post it. I have another fic I'll probably be posting first when I get it back from my beta - "Novel Idea".

Merriwether
Merriwether
Hmmm, may be they have two papers! Perhaps one could be a school one?

I know I know very unlikely but I'm just brainstorming.

I like post more too.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, my city is tiny weeny and has two papers - if you can call 10 or 12 pages a "paper". laugh

I like the sound of "Post" better, too. wink

Wow! Two fics! smile1

Andreia smile

Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hmm, that's a good point. There could definitely be two rival papers couldn't there?

Well, that's two votes for Post besides mine (Roo's and Andreia's). I have some time to make up my mind for sure...

Thanks again for all your help everyone! laugh

Columnist
Columnist
Post sounds better in my opion too.

Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Tahu! (So another vote for Post - yeah)

Well, seeing as how I'm writing the story from your request, Tahu laugh I will most definitely use "Post" then.

That settles that.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. - Tahu, I'm so glad you're liking it dance

Columnist
Columnist
Thats so cool. I feel proud but I will come back to you later I promise. RL is so busy sometimes, but since tomorrow is Saturday I will write you after 0 a.m. here in Germany, so in two hours.

Kerth
Kerth
There might be a free paper (sponsored by advertising) and another one that has more content and less advertising but costs money. Maybe one would be daily and the other weekly, or is Smallville too small for that?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks for your imput Marcus. I decided to include both names in my story. I like Post better for the one that Clark is going to work at. But I mentioned Press as a rival paper.

I was watching Chip Off The Old Clark and Jonathan Kent mentioned that they don't watch tabloid television but that the Smallville Press had run an article about Clark's love child (something along those lines).

So I decided the Press could be a rival paper that doesn't write as "high quality" stories at the Post does. Tee hee.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I vote for Smallville Press - after all the pic didn't look like a 'rag' tabloid was pictured. I just like the sound of Smallville Press better - I always have to be the diferent one, eh?

So Clark was leaving to take a job at the Smallville Post but when Perry interviewed him he had worked at the Smallville Press. What a conundrum. I'm glad you have chosen to use both papers.

Also, do you know that you can find valuable info in the scripts? Then you can do global searches. Of course, you still need to have an idea of which script to look in or you'll have to search all of them. That's where I got all the info about Rollie and Emmet Vale in the round robin. I sure wouldn't have remembered that myself... [Linked Image]

~~~~~~~~~~~
The Nutty Nurse has reared her head... [Linked Image]

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Kerth
Kerth
Thinking about this some more, two weekly papers seem more likely, maybe published on different days. The free advertising paper would most likely be published just before the weekend, when people spend the most money, the other say Tuesday or Wednesday.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How about one weekly and one daily?

Just how small is Smallville, anyway? On Smallville, those Hollywood writers made it a just a little burg of 50,000 people. I'd like to bop them. That isn't a small town - that's actually fairly large. Now the town I live in is small - less than 1000 people. Sorry - off topic. That's just a little peeve of mine.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
Matrix Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hah! I'm tickled that my thread is still getting responses from all of you. Wonderful!

Marcus thanks for the continued info.

Classicalla - sorry, the story has already been written and I got most votes for the Post (because of the way it sounds when you say it by itself - I work for the Post... I work for the Press. Press sounds like a vague description instead of a paper). Plus I wrote this story for Tahu and she chose Post too, her vote counts most. Hee hee.

Yes, I read the scripts here ALL THE TIME!!! I actually have them saved to my computer so I can do mass searches for a phrase.

However, sometimes lines aren't in the script. They are added at the spur of the moment. In Man of Steel Bars when Clark decides to leave Metropolis and tells Lois he has a job at the Smallville Post, that line isn't in the script. Must have been added at the last second. But it is in the episode.

Thanks everyone!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard