Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#150873 06/01/06 08:11 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I always thought it WAS the heat vision when he destroyed film. But thinking back, I guess it was the vision-gizmo special effect, not the heat-ray effect.

Eh. The heat vision makes more sense.

X-rays aren't particles, no? Unless we're referring to photons as particles, I guess.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#150874 06/01/06 02:45 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
most physicists will argue adamantly that photons are particles...

i personally always found this bit of theory beyond my grasp of quantam mechanics...

but i do know the theory... just find it hard to conceptualise...

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#150875 06/01/06 05:55 PM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Actually, physicists insist that photons should be regarded as both waves and particles. That's the beauty of the quantum world. wink I don't understand it, because I'm a space buff, not a quantum buff, so I prefer the macrocosmic world over the microcosmic one. But I do remember having an experiment explained to me. A physicist "shoots" a discreet photon at an impenetrable metal plaque containing two narrow, parallel slits. The single photon will pass through both slits simultaneously, creating an interference pattern of interacting waves on the other side of the plaque. This proves that the photon has wave-like qualities. I know that other experiments prove that photons behave like particles.

X-rays are photons which have both particle-like and wave-like qualities, just like visible light. What separates X-rays from visible light is that X-rays have a wavelength that is much shorter. Because of their shorter wavelengths, X-rays contain much more energy than visible light. The more energy a photon contains, the shorter its corresponding wavelength will be. But why do high energy levels correspond with short wavelengths?

Imagine a hill. Let's say that the hill is a mile long and a hundred feet high. Now imagine, however, a high, sharp cliff, a hundred feet high and a hundred feet long. How many times could you fit such a cliff along a distance of a mile? Imagine that you could line up hundred-feet-long cliffs along a line a mile long. You would get very many "peaks" along this mile-long line. Compare it with the original hill, where you get just one peak per mile. The hill could be considered a wave with a long wavelength and relatively low energy. The cliff could be considered a short wavelength with high energy.

To me, one of the absolutely amazing things about reality is that light and sound "does not exist", in a way. Imagine a colorful flower, for example a very red rose. Did you know that "red" color doesn't exist? What makes this rose look red is that when white light hits it, the rose will absorb almost all the white light and just reflect the comparatively long, "red" wavelengths, whose wavelength is about 700 nanometers. When our retinas are struck by electromagnetic waves whose wavelengths are 700 nanometers, our brains will respond by saying "red!". But "red" exists inside our brains, not outside them - outside there are only electromagnetic waves with certain wavelengths. Sounds and music are just the same - our ears pick up waves with certain wavelengths, though much longer than 700 nanometers, and our brains will respond by saying "sound".

So how does Superman see color, Paul? Assuming that, like us, his eyes have receptors for blue, green and red light, he will only see the same colors as we do, all within a wavelength range of 400-700 nanometers. Superman can't possibly "see" X-rays in color. X-rays don't have color, because our brains wouldn't know how to interpret such short wavelengths as color. For comparison, imagine two bath tubs, one filled with nice warm water and one filled with cold water. Could you decide which tub contains warm water just by looking at the water? No, you couldn't, because warm water (not steaming hot water) looks just the same as cold water. Our eyes can't tell the difference. You have to touch the water to judge its temperature. So don't ask me how Superman would judge different "shades" of X-rays, but he wouldn't "see" the difference as color.

As for Superman superhuman abilities, I guess it doesn't do too much good to try to explain them scientifically. After all, if they made scientific sense, don't you think that NASA or someone else would have come up with a flying man already? wink

Ann

#150876 06/01/06 09:32 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
well im no physicist... im a biologist...
or medical scientist as i study neuroscience and pharmacology. (the science of drugs as oposed to a liscence to sell them)

what i do know is abouut the wavelngths and vision
it is to do with three types of receptors responding to different wavelentghs in different proportions... just like the old analogue tvs use red/green and blue lights to create the whole spectrum (digital screens are different somehow, but i dont knwo the mechanics) our brians mix the three different ratios of responcces to whichever wavelength we see to give us unique colours

i supose Supes could have a range of receptors to see xrays in the same way that insects have a range of receptors to deect different uv wavelengths, seeing the colours differentlly to us but still have higher visual accuity than non-primate mammals (wholonly have 2 types of receptors)... but it is hard for us to imagine.

brain structures which alternate attention and conscious perception are perfectly able (if given the sensory receptors) to be able to alternate between percieving xray and the visual range of wavelentghs in our visual system (called visual light or something). this would happen in a similar way to a normal person (not supes) differentiating between voices in a crowd, or instruments playing in an orchestra (i am also a violinist).

You can't have MANSLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER

The Neuroscientist: Eating glass makes you smart...do you want to see what you can learn?
#150877 06/02/06 01:23 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
I promised to let you all know if I heard back from Atlantic Nuclear regarding the purchase of lead foil. Anyway, they finally emailed me saying: "We do not sell to individuals."

So I guess that answers that.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses. They have been very helpful.

ML wave

EDIT: Oops. I just reread the email and it says "We do sell to individuals." That stupid dyslexia of mine is acting up again.

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#150878 06/04/06 04:28 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Originally posted by TOC:
Actually, physicists insist that photons should be regarded as both waves and particles.
Actually, photons are neither waves nor particles, although they have characteristics in common with both.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#150879 06/06/06 02:36 AM
T
TOC Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
You are of course right that photons are neither particles nor waves, Rivka. They are denizens of the microcosmos which can't be defined or explained using words describing the macrocosmos.

The microcosmos is so fundamentally different from the macrocosmos that the laws that guide the macrocosmic world often don't apply in the microcosmos at all. Therefore, we can't use the same terms to talk about about photons, quarks, leptons, gluons and various other denizens of the microcosmos as we do when we talk about flowers, dogs, hurricanes, grains of sand and breakers at the sea, for example.

This doesn't mean that anything goes in the quantum world, however: the laws guiding the microcosmos are every bit as mathematically stringent as the laws guiding the world that we can sense.

I was just trying to point out that X-rays are no more particle-like than other electromagnetic waves with longer wavelengths and lower energy.

Ann

#150880 06/09/06 09:12 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Very true.

Somehow, my students keep claiming otherwise on their tests. wink

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard