Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, I've been writing a story which is more or less ready for posting, and I very much want to post it, too. But I have been told that my story is so *alt-Clark* that it may be a good idea to post a warning and a bit of a presentation first, to let anyone who wants to read it know what they are in for.

In my story, I try to show Lois and Clark's love story as the stuff of fairy tales and myths. And because I'm a serious space buff, I set this love story against a decidedly cosmic backdrop.

I'm the sort of space buff who is absolutely overwhelmed by the sheer vastness of space. It is my gut feeling that space is simply too vast for interstellar travel to be meaningful, or feasible. So in my story, when the Kryptonians flee their doomed planet and try to reach the Earth, they fail. Every last one of them perish out in space, every last one of them but Clark. Because he is the only one of them, the absolutely only one of them, who has someone waiting for him here on Earth. And the person waiting for Clark is Lois.

In my story, the Kryptonians are aliens. That may not sound too original. But you see, in my story they look alien, and I don't think I've seen that in a LnC story before.

Clark originally looks alien, too. But when baby Lois makes contact with baby Clark, he spontaneously changes and attunes his body to hers. He becomes human. But he still has this underlying alien matrix, and he could conceivably revert to his Kryptonian shape. Take a hint form me: he does.

My story is called "Sara Lois Rose". This is also the name of Lois and Clark's daughter, and a very, very special girl she is, too... (and I'm not implying that she is retarded). She plays a crucual role in this story, fighting for her parents' love.

My story will be posted in the nfic folder only. I see Lois and Clark's lovemaking as an extremely important expression of the almost cosmic bond of theirs that links them across the light-years. Don't expect to see them hit the hay together again and again, though. There will be two lovemaking scenes, or three if you bear in mind that the first one will be shown first from Lois's point of view, and then from Clark's. These lovemaking scenes are extremely important and lead to huge consequences.

And now, a few specific warnings. Don't expect this story to feel like an episode from the ABC TV show. This is very alt-Clark, and also very alt-Lois. If you don't like that, you probably shouldn't read it.

Second, let me apologize here and now for my treatment of Jonathan. My story deals explicitly with xenophobia, and with what it's like for Clark to be the absolutely last of his kind anywhere in the universe and to live on the Earth and look decidedly alien.

Well, I make Jonathan a representative of xenophobic people. Not so that Jonathan ever does anything to hurt Clark - I really don't make him that bad. But there are clearly times when he is seen to be afraid of Clark's alienness.

Also, if you read this story, please accept that not all things in it are explained. Accept that the link between Lois and Clark is so overwhelmingly strong that many seemingly supernatural things happen because of it.

Last but not least, I'll try to do something I've never done before: insert a link here, as a bit of a teaser. In my story, Krypton is in orbit around one of the three suns of the nearest star of them all, triple star system Alpha Centauri. Well, it so happens that our Sun looks extremely lovely when seen from Alpha Centauri, as it seems to float superimposed on distant clouds of rose-colored nebulosity. Because of that, the Kryptonians in my story call our Sun "the Rose". To see what our Sun would look like from Alpha Centauri, use this link:

Our Sun seen from Alpha Centauri

I hope some of you will find "Sara Lois Rose" a worthy story, and I hope the rest of you will consider yourselves forewarned!

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Ann, double checking here - just resent my comments to you - did you get them this time?

c.

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ann, you said:

Don't expect this story to feel like an episode from the ABC TV show. This is very alt-Clark, and if you don't like that, you probably shouldn't read it.
I'm just wondering, based on the other comments above, how different your story and characters are. As you probably know, the boards FAQ has a section entitled What is Lois and Clark Fanfic? . And the main definition of Lois and Clark fanfic for the purpose of these message boards is:

The Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Board (MB) is specifically for fanfic about the series Lois & Clark: the New Adventures of Superman, starring Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain, which originally ran on ABC from 1993 to 1997. Stories about any of the characters from the show, or their associated universe, are welcome.
So, obviously, we're not a general Superman board where fanfic based on any incarnation of the characters, from the movies, the cartoon version, the George Reeves version, the comics or Smallville can be posted - at least some of the characters in any author's story must be based around the TV series Lois and Clark: TNAOS, though of course crossovers between this and other incarnations are very welcome.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not pointing out anything you're not already aware of, and I'm sure you know how your story fits the Lois and Clark universe. But I thought I'd post this reminder, in any case. And perhaps it fits under one of these criteria?

stories about an alternate universe with similar characters and events, either the one from the show or one that the author has invented (known as alt-universe stories)

stories set in a universe where some of the fundamental Lois & Clark elements have changed (known as Elseworlds stories): e.g. they aren't reporters, or Lois has the powers, or Clark grew up on New Krypton
Wendy smile
Boards Admin Team

Just a fly-by! *waves*
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Wendy, I hope I'm staying within Lois and Clark fiction limits in my story. If not, I hope someone from the the administration will tell me I'm out of line, and in that case I will have to stop posting.

Ann

Top Banana
Top Banana
Some of the descriptors Wendy has quoted are quite open-ended. There has been quite a range in the way both Lois, and Clark especially, have been portrayed in fanfic on the mbs and archive. Changes have made in character traits as well as in the basic premises of the world we saw portrayed in "Lois and Clark" , depending on how different writers either interpreted those characters or how they wanted to "play with the toys".

For example, Pam gave us quite a different Clark in "Hearts Divided", Yvonne did so in "Addicted". I really messed with Trask's character in "Connections." I could add several other examples.

Having read Ann's story, I'd say it fits in the "Elseworlds" category, and perhaps, in a way, "Crossover". Ann's given a fair warning - her story does play quite radically with the toys smile Moreso than almost any fanfic I've read on the mbs or archive. It won't be for everyone, but I'm sure some readers will be interested.

c.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Having also read an early version of Ann's story, I agree with Carol. This won't be to everyone's taste.

By the same token, however, the story stays within the Lois/Clark="bonded forever" aspect of their relationship. It's different, and it's not something I could have ever written, but it is (in my humble opinion) compelling and intriguing and interesting. My advice? I refuse to spoil the story for anyone, but I think you should read it and judge it on its own merits.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard