#150644 04/29/06 08:34 AM
P
Patti Offline OP
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
P
Hi everyone,
I've read some Lois and Clark fic, but not a large amount as of yet. Currently i've been reading in other fandoms. So i've been kind of random in my reading so far. I'd like some fic recs please. Recs for authors websites would be appreciated too. In fic, I especially like long,
novel length fic. I'm willing to try most types of fic, but in other fandoms i like hurt/comfort fic. (Is that what Wham fic means in this fandom?
I'm not familiar with some of the L and C terms.)
I like kidfic if it's well written,married fic and also are there any crossovers out there? I haven't run across any yet. Any recs for me? Thanks so much
Patti

#150645 04/29/06 09:06 AM
Kerth
Kerth
Welcome!! hyper

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#150646 04/29/06 09:25 AM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Well-written kidfic - It's imperative that you check out Aliens and Strangers by Susan Stone. It's not so much a kidfic, as it is a "SuperFutures," but it's definitely one of my all time favorites - one that I have printed out for re-re-re-reading. goofy She also wrote a prequel: Laney and the Giant Killers . It doesn't matter which you read first, but the first is twice as long as the second. wink

Duet by Shayne Terry is another favorite of mine. It's an elseworlds, though, but there is a kid. wink Definitely long and angsty. Here's the archive blurb: In this Elseworld story, Clark Kent is a musician with a son and a secret to hide; but he's about to be discovered by hot-shot entertainment lawyer, Lois Lane.

If you're looking for long and angsty with hurt/comfort, try out Wendy Richards , one of the best and most prolific authors here. I'd especially recommend her latest, 24 Hours . Other great (and long!) ones of hers include: Faux Pas , For the Greater Good (this one, I believe is a fandom favorite, as there are two fanfic trailers you can watch for it).

Made to be Broken by Sara aka Sorcha will break you heart! Brilliant work! Make sure you have tissues!

Pretty much anything by Yvonne Connell. My favorites include: Clark Kent, This is Your Life (which has an nfic version ), Addicted and its sequel, Damaged (both of which have nfic versions you can find at the Nfic Archive ).

Another all time favorite: When Friends Become Lovers by Demi and Kathy Brown. This also has a sequel by Kathy - When Lovers Become More .

LabRat is known for having some of the *longest* stories out there, among which are Caped Fear and Masques .

CC Aiken is another author. I don't think I've read anything by her that I haven't loved. My favorite all time (seriously top of the list) is In a Better Place , which still needs to be archived.

There are gads more out there, of course, but the above are some of my favorites that came to mind when you asked for long and angsty. wink

Also note that a lot of these stories have nfic versions if you prefer. Those can be found on the Nfic Archive .

Sara smile

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#150647 04/29/06 09:33 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Welcome to our playground, Patti!

but in other fandoms i like hurt/comfort fic. (Is that what Wham fic means in this fandom?
WHAM stands for Wistful, Heartwrenching, Agonising Moment (you may hear variations thereof, but basically that's it). So, yes, a WHAM warning will pretty much mean an angsty story.

You'll also find them under Tearjerker/Angst. (Tearjerker is the search keyword you should use if you're searching the raw database data on the Fanfic Archive).

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#150648 04/29/06 05:03 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I would personally recommend the fans' (FoLCs - Friends of Lois & Clark) continuation of Lois and Clark into a 5th and 6th season. You can find these two seasons here (in a pretty html format): http://www.geocities.com/~chiefpam/Season5/season5.html

You can also find them at the fanfic archive: www.lcfanfic.com - just search for season 5 or 6 in the search bar.

The 5th season is 22 episodes and the 6th is 14 episodes. These are long fics and wrap up a lot of the loose ends left in the series.

I am fairly new here as well and I thoroughly enjoyed them. thumbsup

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#150649 04/29/06 05:21 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, yay, I knew there'd be something to distract me from my art history paper.

Well, to start off with, I sort of worship all of C.C. Aiken's stories in the Archive. She has song long, some short storie. A few kidnappings here and there if you want some suspense.

Another favorite of mine is Michael Haney's "Just One Day Away." It's decently long and is very villain-esque.

Nan Smith has a lot of good plot-driven stories that are decent in length as well.

And if you really want an ocean full of angst, LabRat's "Masques" is easily the longest fanfic I've ever read. It took me 8 straight hours to read, minus like a break to go to Sunday church. Why I decided to read it all at once, I'll never know.

Finally, it just occurred to me that I can't mention the word epic without ML Thompson or Shayne Terry. Both of them have written some good long fics, some angstier than others.

I'll come back when I need another break from my paper. wink
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#150650 04/29/06 09:16 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL, Jen - think that deserves some kind of medal. laugh

Patti, I should have added earlier that you can also use the following keywords to search the Archive raw data:

Long or Epic - to catch long stories.
Next Gen - to catch kid fic.
Crossover - to catch...yes, you guessed it. There aren't many of those as someone said earlier, but there are a few here and there.

Married fic would probably come under Dating/Relationship, but they'd be mixed in with a lot of other stories that don't have them married, so it might not be that helpful. Or there's Wedding if you want to read about them actually getting hitched. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
#150651 04/30/06 02:41 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
In addition to all the fabulous fics mentioned by Sara above, I have two other suggestions for authors to read: ML Thompson and Nicole Sullivan.

For Nicole, I'd suggest My Best Friend\'s Wedding . It's a tearjerker with a great ending. All the drama you could ever ask for.

And one of ML's that is really innovative and well done is Super Stud . I also get a kick out of Roadtrekking for a reason that I don't quite know how to explain.

**~~**

Swoosh --->
#150652 04/30/06 08:49 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Don't forget Erin Klingler with The Accidental Husband and the long road home

Her fics are great.

#150653 05/01/06 02:02 AM
M
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
M
And if you really want an ocean full of angst, LabRat's "Masques" is easily the longest fanfic I've ever read. It took me 8 straight hours to read, minus like a break to go to Sunday church. Why I decided to read it all at once, I'll never know.
You decided to read it all at once because YOU COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN...oh wait. That's why *I* read it all at once.

No seriously, excellent fic, as are all the recs (I haven't read all of them, but if they're anything like the ones I have seen, they're good).

And just so I can say I tried to help...um, what's the Beauty and the Beast crossover called? Dammit! I can't remember the name, but it was on the Kerth list a few years back. Check it out. Some less than epic length reads for couple of hours of curling up with LnC comfort are Starwood in Aspen and the One and Only. LabRat's Burnout and Caped Fear are great and The Gorn had some stories that left you wanting more (quite literally!) I think A Consummate Revelation is the only finished one I've read, but it's good.

Little Girl Lost and The Way It Should Have Been are good fics with kids. Zombies At My Homework is a short but hilarious fic you just have to read.

Purity, Rage and Yellow Fever are all suspenseful, pain-filled fics (with great trailers).

Ooh, and A Shot In The Dark. That one's gooooood.

Okay. I defnitely need to go study now. Happy reading!

#150654 05/01/06 02:56 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Patti, wham fic isn't exactly the same as hurt/comfort, but if you like that particular category, you can't go wrong with anything by Yvonne Connell, who specializes in hurting and comforting Clark. "Purity" is an excellent example of that kind of story. Jenni Debbage's work-in progress (WIP), "The Forgotten," may yet become another although at this point, we've only had the "hurt"; we haven't seen Lois providing the "comfort." BTW, thank you, MEK, for that recommendation of my "A Shot in the Dark," which is also a hurt/comfort story. I see that the three stories I mentioned are also married fic, so in these cases, the hurt/comfort doesn't serve to draw the characters together as it does in Wendy Richard's "24 Hours."

The previously mention Season 5 and 6 (S5 and S6) stories take place after the series ended, so they are all married fic. S6 is also kidfic. In addition to the previously mentioned stories by Nan Smith and Jenni Debbage, Irene Dutch also has an excellent series dealing with L&C's grownup children.

Not all of these suggestions are novel length, but they start at the 16,000 word length and go up from there.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
#150655 05/01/06 03:50 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And just so I can say I tried to help...um, what's the Beauty and the Beast crossover called? Dammit! I can't remember the name, but it was on the Kerth list a few years back.
That's Becky Bain's Timeless. And, yes, I agree - definitely recommended. How could I not tag it as a crossover, myself! Eeesh. wallbash

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#150656 05/01/06 03:59 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Let's see.. kid fics. There's Irene Dutch's series that's been mentioned, which starts off with Firestorm . Also Crystal Wimmer's Full Circle , which also has a sequel. Hmm. can't think of any others that haven't been mentioned yet.. smile

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#150657 05/01/06 07:45 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Cindy Leuch did a series of good kid fic. But I'm blanking on which is the first in the series....

...anyway, her other stories are worth checking out, too, so you'll probably work it out as you go. goofy

Oh and don't miss Peabody's Goodnight, Metropolis . It's just a vignette, not a long kid fic, but beautifully cute. One of my favourites. (And that's from someone for whom kid fic isn't the first genre they seek out. wink )

48 Hours Without A Superman by Kathryn Ann Kent is absolutely hilarious kidfic.

These should all be on the Fanfic Archive, btw.

Sara's already mentioned Susan Stone, another of my favourites. There is another kidfic author whose stories I really loved, who was writing around the same time as Susan, but I can't remember who that would be. I'll try checking my old fic disks, see if I can figure it out. Unless someone else knows who I'm talking about...

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
#150658 05/01/06 01:20 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Does anyone out there remember a fic where L&C lived in the "burbs" and one of the youngest kid's powers are coming on slowly and he "hears" Superman in the house (bedroom w/Lois) and thinks Superman is his father. I can't remember the authors name or the story title. I think it was a Kerth winner early on. The writer never put the story in the Archives, it was removed from the boards, but would email the story. Any help would be appreciated.

Wanda
#150659 05/01/06 05:01 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Wanda, that sort of sounds like Sandy McDermin's story (Little Boy Lost?), but one of Cindy's stories used a similar concept. In both stories, however, it was the oldest child. Zoomway's "Navigating Denial" used a related idea, except Perry discovered his own powers and decided on his own that he must be Superman's son instead of Clark's.

LabRat, did you mean "Coming of Age" by Notrepooh? It was written back in 1998.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
#150660 05/01/06 05:20 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Sheilah,
Indeed I do remember Sandy's excellent story, and I think I'm getting another author's story mixed in. I wonder if Sandy is still willing to share her story. Any one out there still keep in touch or have her email address. If you or anyone finds the author or story can you pass on my email address I'd like to ask her permission to read her story again. My old floppy disc was destroyed that had the story on it. Contact me @: wlcme7@msn.com

Wanda
#150661 05/01/06 05:31 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wanda --

I just sent Sandy McDermin's e-mail address to your e-mail. I was looking for "Charity Begins At Home" which I finally got a copy of from her. She is happy to share her stories.

Hope you hear from her soon!

--DJ smile1

Smile and the world smiles with you ... frown and you're just giving yourself wrinkles.
#150662 05/01/06 06:19 PM
Blogger
Blogger
Bless your heart.... dance dance dance "to really cool music of course".

Wanda
#150663 05/01/06 08:08 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LabRat, did you mean "Coming of Age" by Notrepooh? It was written back in 1998.
No, wasn't that one, Sheila. This was an author who had at least two or three next gen stories - a series, I think. I remember that I used to recommend both authors at the same time whenever anyone asked for next gen fic. Susan Stone and...who knows. laugh

I tried tracking her down yesterday because it was bugging me, but haven't come up with any names I recognise yet.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard