Next Thread
Print Thread
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
fanfic question. yeah. that's what i meant.

so, um.... angel-devil trying to look innocent, here...

so, um, what's the time zone difference between, say, California and New York? is it 6 hours?

Top Banana
Top Banana
California is on the west coast and New York is on the east coast - the difference between them is 3 hours (California being 3 behind).

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
I have The World Clock bookmarked. With so many friends all over the world, it's nice to know what time they're in without having to remember so many time zones. goofy There's even an option for you to personalize... pick your cities, and those are the only ones that will show up on your time table.

Just thought I'd add... might be helpful. smile

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
thanks everybody!

only three? thoroughly fooled me. england I know is 6 hours ahead of us. (i know coz i got a baby sister living over there!)

i need to purchase myself a genuine bona fide globe and study it.

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
And don't forget to account for Daylight Savings Time, which sometimes is and sometimes isn't in effect. I've lived in the US all my adult life, and I still can't keep all the time zones straight without counting on my fingers. I'm just lucky I still have all eleven of them.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Merriwether
Merriwether
Oh, that part is easy. There are 37 counties in Indiana, I believe, that do not observe Daylight Saving Time. During the summer, they're on Eastern. In the winter, they're on Central.

Most of Arizona is the same way. In the summer, they're on (okay, not so easy, I can't remember if they're Central/Mountain or Mountain/Pacific..) Pacific, and in the winter, they're on Mountain.

Hrm.. checking this site , Indiana will start observing DST in April. Which will help some of the confusion.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Arizona is on Mountain Standard Time, which, incidently, is the same as Pacific Standard Time during DST.

This site says:

Some areas of the United States not using Daylight Saving Time include, Arizona, parts of Indiana, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, U.S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa do not observe Daylight Saving Time.
Although the actual page on Arizona mentions that there's a Navajo community in NE Arizona that does observe DST.

So, because everyone around me does that silly thing with their clocks every so often, I can never keep up with what the time differences are... hence the reason for the world clock I use. goofy

Sara (happily always in MST laugh )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
I could be mistaken, but I believe that Congress recently passed legislation concerning DST which said, in part, that states must either be all DST or all not. Parts of states can determine what time zone they are in but cannot opt for either going on DST or not. I believe western Indiana has chosen to be in the Central Time Zone and eastern Indiana in the Eastern Time Zone.

If I recall my history correctly, in the 19th century, there was no standardization of time until railroads criscrossed the country. Each area just decided for themselves what would determine their time, ie...12:00 noon would be when the sun was at its zenith over the bank or some such reasoning. Railroads needed to run on timetables, and timetables needed to be standardized by determining the time of day in the same way everywhere. The movement of the sun from east to west necessitated different time zones.

Sorry, sometimes I get carried away. The story of how DST came about is equally interesting (or not), but all this can probably be found by Googling.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
S
Sileas Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
S
dizzy

holy cow. I started a debate on time.

hadn't been back into this section for a week or so. um.... have fun! smile

actually we just rolled over off of dst this weekend (I am, of course, as always, trying to save my extra hour for some more sleep on monday!), and I wasn't totally sure that it was *this* weekend, so I hadda fish around on line and found some web sites on it. unfortunately, I'm too lazy to put the links in. laugh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Here in Puerto Rico we don't have Daylight Saving Time. blush

MAF blush

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm in a central time zone and we fell back an hour early this morning. I keep thinking it is late, but it isn't. UGH. I like falling back as opposed to springing forward.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard