Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks to an idea by Sileas over in the 'general fan mail' thread - we've now installed a random story generator on the Archive front page.

This randomly selects a story from the Archive at intervals and puts a link to it on the front page. So go check out some of the vast array of wonderful stories and have fun. smile1

We're still looking for a couple of ways to refine the program, but these will only be cosmetic changes.

Many thanks to Lauren for being her amazingly clever self, as always, and getting this working so quickly! sloppy It's magic, I tells ya! It's magic. <g>

Oh...and no clicking on the link five million times to see if one of your stories comes up, you hear? Did I do that? Nah, course not! I was...testing it out...yeah, that's it. I was testing it. And you can't prove otherwise!

LabRat smile
Editor-in-Chief
The Lois and Clark Fanfic

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Hehe! That's cool!

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
That is TOTALLY AWESOME!

But I just had a kind of a thought wink

What if someone is using a 56k dialup and gets, let's see, Caped Fear. They are going to be waiting a looonnggg time... help

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Merriwether
Merriwether
Wow, that's fun! I admit it, I clicked it about 8 times, but I was curious to see what stories would pop up. Might have to try it more later, when I have time to actually read the stories. laugh

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, that's very cool -- thanks, Sileas for the idea! smile

It's dangerous, though. I clicked a few times, you know, just to see if it was working and not to see if one of my stories came up (which they didn't, not even once out of mumblemumble tries, but I guess the odds are pretty steep) *but* one of the ones that did come up was Becky Bain's Timeless, which I really like, so I started re-reading... my kids very nearly missed the school bus *and* I lost two hours of time this morning, re-reading goofy

So just be warned wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
Better than the nickel slots!!

I got Emily, KathyB, Nan, Tank, RL, Marnie, LadyBiker, Nan again(!), Lynn Walker...

Totally addictive. And now I know what I'm going to be doing with all my free time.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Wayyy too addicting. Good thing my computer's away getting repaired right now. I'd be glued to it.

goofy

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh wow! This is really neat. Well done, Lauren. smile

And of course I've been toying with it and reading. Amazingly, our most prolific author didn't even show up on quite some clicks. laugh

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What if someone is using a 56k dialup and gets, let's see, Caped Fear. They are going to be waiting a looonnggg time... [Thud]
smile1

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Coolness! Thanks, Silas. Great job, Lauren! You're amazing!

<Click... click... click...>

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm not sure it's desirable to show the story's title on the main page... part of the fun is hitting the link and just seeing what comes up <g> Of course, I've got broadband...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
'm not sure it's desirable to show the story's title on the main page... part of the fun is hitting the link and just seeing what comes up
Well, if we changed it to include the story details, you'd just do the same - just on the front page instead of where the link takes you to. Every time you refresh the front page, the story linked to changes. So that surprise element would still be there. You'd just get to it sooner. laugh

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
As a person on a 56k modem who ended up "randomly generating" one of Rat's epics, I can say that it wasn't much of a hardship. smile It really didn't take that long to load, so I don't think that will be an issue.

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
/me grins sheepishly--OK, I admit I spent probably 45 min clicking on the thing, seeing how long it took to find a story for each of the writers who was currently on the channel at the time. laugh Got one in a Round Robin, one turned up twice, and finally got the last one just now. So . . . was fun. And it's very very addicting . . . /me forces self to *not* open the page again*

I also prefer not having the author and story title be visible till you're there. Because that way you're not just aware of what it is, you've got it in front of you, no extra work to look at it and see if you like it. Whereas if you knew what it was on the main page, then a bunch of people would probably not go to some stories just because of curiosity about the next random link, sheer laziness, and judging by author or story name. I think having the surprise of seeing random files appear was good. So I recommend not bothering to try to change it. smile

Don't point. You make holes in the air and the faeries escape.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, this is a new addiction I'm afraid LOL! laugh I've spent most of the day clicking on that darned thing, and of course half the stories that come up I just *have* to read!!! This could be a problem ... ah well, it's *fun* LOL! wink

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Chris Reeve

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." Peter Parker

DON'T DOUBT THE ROUTH
Features Writer
Features Writer
LOL! I had the tendency to click on it constantly too! I wanted to see if my story showed up, but it hasn't yet.

I read a real short story that caught my eye during the process as well. Who knows maybe this will get me back to reading fanfiction, not just writing it like I do. wink

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yeah, I also think it's nice not to know in advance which story is going to come up. Gets past all those preconceptions we have about what we like and don't like. smile

Yvonne

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I also would not what to know until I get there.

James' 2 cents.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
hail hail hail
Lauren, your skills are just amazing.

Great idea!

gerry

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
To give you the title before you click or not? Tough call. Hmm. This sounds like a job for... The Archive's Front Page Poll!!

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
It was fun and a great idea.

The first one that was spit out at me was Showing Chaos by Bethy.

Thanks!

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
What a super little gadget! goofy

And I agree with the others - I like to be totally surprised. No titles in advance please.

Thanks, Lauren! You sure lured us back to the archive. wink

Ursie

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
S
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
S
hm.....I didn't even NOTICE this thread 'til today...... blush

cool! i'm famous! smile glad everyone liked it!

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thank you for the idea, Sileas -- it was a fantastic one! clap

The story list isn't up-to-date, but it's something we can add to with time. Right now we're current to a few months ago.

I've been doing the click-and-read thing too. Some old favorites I just had to stop and revisit (like Hazel's "A Certain Point of View" and Paul's "The Cape of Good Hope"), along with some stories I missed first time around (like Kat Picson's TUFS story "Relativity"). It's been a blast. Nothing involving an Ursula so far, though. smile

Pam, I haven't come across any of your stories yet, but I know I'll have to stop and reread them when I do, because I remain your worshipful lurking fan. LabRat, I haven't come across any of yours either, but I look forward to rereading them as well. I bet when I'm back home on dialup, "Masques" will be the first thing to appear. Then it'll be time to clear the calendar. laugh

-- Lauren

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
smile1 I love seeing what story pops up. goofy

Tricia cool

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
To give you the title before you click or not? Tough call. Hmm. This sounds like a job for... The Archive's Front Page Poll!!
Funnily enough, Paul, I'd already suggested a poll to Lauren.

I think though that for the moment we'll just leave things as they are. Firstly because those who care enough to venture an opinion seem to be in agreement that they prefer no story details. Secondly because we haven't had a flood of email requesting story details are present. And thirdly because if we had a poll and the second viewpoint prevailed we wouldn't be able to supply that option at the moment anyway because we don't yet have a program that will do it and fit in with the Archive. laugh

So, on the whole, it seems the easiest plan to just leave it as it is since most everyone seems happy enough with that. And if, in the future, we find a compatible program that would provide story details, we can always set up a poll then. smile

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
This new feature is wickedly addictive!!! Couldn't you have just waited one more week though! I have finals coming up next week!!!

Thanks!
smile :p

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard