Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I'm starting up a website for my Lois and Clark newsletter. This website will have uploaded fanfics. How does one go about formatting these fanfics? Is there a certain way to display them that makes it easier for online viewing?

Thanks! laugh

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, one thing I really, truly hate when I'm trawling around the net looking for good fanfic is finding a story that's been uploaded in separate parts. Drives me nuts. laugh And it always seems that the story I want to dl and save is the longest one on the site, so I have to go through 50 parts to get it all. Repetitive strain injury, here I come! goofy

I know there may be space issues that make web owners do this, but if stories can be uploaded in just one file, complete, that definitely gets my vote and undying gratitude. thumbsup

I'm not talking here btw about posting WIPs in parts as we do here - but sites which upload completed stories in 50 files, all of which are about two pages long, rather than just in one complete file. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Another thing is the font... Using txt files forces you to use Courier, but if you can get around it, I'd suggest Verdana - the one the posts on these boards appear on.

And... ditto, LabRat!

See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, I won't be able to avoid the parts issue because this is an ongoing story that I'll be uploading with updates. My thought was to upload it on a webpage so people can read it online. It looks like you guys are refering to files that people can download. I'm so new at this web designing thing, I wouldn't even know how to go about that. dizzy

I also need to know on formating. Do you upload it the web double-spaced or single spaced? Should it be in txt form like we have to do when we submit it to the LNC fanfic site?

Thanks!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just curious, are you using a particular program for web designing? Or are you doing something online like Geocities or Angelfire?

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I'm using Dreamweaver and then uploading it to my friend's web host site because he has lots of room for it. laugh

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, I love Dreamweaver. I do all my web design on it. I was about to open my mouth and say something like, why don't I poke around and help you find the best way to upload text files (I upload nothing but images as an artist)...but my computer fell apart once again (joys of HP).
At the rate HP is batting, it could be weeks before I get my computer back. I'm starting to learn how to live without a computer. razz So anyway good luck! Dreamweaver's pretty user-friendly.

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard