Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
76. Marry a man you don't know and don't love because he has a private jet and you only marry men who fly.

"I'm red-eyed, tired and drunk" Teri Hatcher
"Fun will now commence" 7of9
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
77. Glasses and hair gel are the best disguise. Nobody will recognize you, not even your best friend.

78. Don't trust in darn, nice guys.

79. A giant asteroid can be days away from striking Earth without anybody detecting it.

80. If you have a friend hacker you can find ANY information on the internet - birth and death certificates, bank accounts, blueprints, past jobs, etc...

81. If there's an alien invasion they will land in Metropolis and the first place they will go is the Daily Planet.

82. The most important press conferences are held in front of the Daily Planet.

83. If you replace a work colleague for another person and keeps the same name nobody will notice it. It also applies to the Lane family members.

84. Keep the villains talking - they will always tell you what they did or intend to do - and afterwards you will escape and nail them.

"My wife's love is what unites Krypton and Earth in my heart. Without it, without her, I truly would be in hell."

~ Superman: Man of Tomorrow #15
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
Originally posted by Ultra Woman:
79. A giant asteroid can be days away from striking Earth without anybody detecting it.
This one's actually true. Sometimes we don't find asteroids until after they've narrowly missed us.

What never made sense to me was how Nightfall passed between Earth and the Sun the way it did but was still on a collision course. The geometry just doesn't work. Maybe I'm not accounting properly for the Earth's gravitational pull on it, but it seems like the writers just didn't think it through. ::end rant::

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
85.You can jump from a penthouse and lose your hair.
86. Never, ever connect the dots. Superman and Clark Kent look nothing alike.

Top Banana
Top Banana
mrsMxyzptlk said:
What never made sense to me was how Nightfall passed between Earth and the Sun the way it did but was still on a collision course. The geometry just doesn't work. Maybe I'm not accounting properly for the Earth's gravitational pull on it, but it seems like the writers just didn't think it through. ::end rant::
You are correct, but it's even worse than that. If you look at the physics of casting a shadow, something as small as Nightfall can't cast a shadow more unless it's pretty much right on top of you.

I did a quick calculation. Based on a diameter of 17 miles across, to cast a shadow that reached the ground, Nightfall would have had to be less than 2000 miles away. If it was moving at 30,000 mph (as the script says) then it would have hit (or missed) the Earth approximately 4 minutes after everyone saw the shadow.

This is one of the reasons that Bev continuously tells me to stop analyzing the so-called science when we watch tv or movies. smile
Bob

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by SJH:
85.You can jump from a penthouse and lose your hair.
rotflol

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I did a quick calculation. Based on a diameter of 17 miles across, to cast a shadow that reached the ground, Nightfall would have had to be less than 2000 miles away. If it was moving at 30,000 mph (as the script says) then it would have hit (or missed) the Earth approximately 4 minutes after everyone saw the shadow.

This is one of the reasons that Bev continuously tells me to stop analyzing the so-called science when we watch tv or movies.
You know, Bob, I'm the same way. I don't mind if there's a reasonable amount of Handwaving and Techno Babble if that moves the story along, avoids tedious exposition, or sets up something important.

But I don't like it when stuff is *obviously* stupid or impossible. That really messes up my Willing Suspension of Disbelief .

Kerth
Kerth
Originally posted by IolantheAlias:

This is one of the reasons that Bev continuously tells me to stop analyzing the so-called science when we watch tv or movies.
You know, Bob, I'm the same way. I don't mind if there's a reasonable amount of Handwaving and Techno Babble if that moves the story along, avoids tedious exposition, or sets up something important.

But I don't like it when stuff is *obviously* stupid or impossible. That really messes up my Willing Suspension of Disbelief .
I have to agree with that. I'm the same way. blush

That being said - at which number were we?

87. Your future - and that of your family and far-off descendants is not set in stone.
88. Super powers are dominant. Most of the time.
89. If you're Kryptonian and grew up on Earth, you'll learn from your kids how to use your telepathic talent.
90. Despite you and your spouse being from different planets and scientist saying you can't sire children, you will have a number of them. Because a time-traveller in a bowler hat said so. (Your oldest child might be cloned from you, or be born by your birth wife on NK, though.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
91. Adoptive parents will love their kid(s) more than birth parents.

92. Amnesia is a common aliment in Metropolis.

93. It doesn't matter how gorgeous of a woman you are, slap a mustache on you and possibly a toupee, and lower your voice, and men will instantly think you're one of them.

94. 2 out 3 psychologists should be avoided at all costs. (okay, technically, I learned that from TV)

95. Don't trust people from the government to actually be who they say they are.

96. There's someone out there for everyone, even if you're an alien from another planet.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
97. How to marry a superhero: be mean his alter ego, hate his ties and almost marry his arch enemy.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by SJH:
97. How to marry a superhero: be mean his alter ego, hate his ties and almost marry his arch enemy.
97b. Lie to his alter-ego, steal his work, and drool on his Spandex to make sure he knows that you're still interested.
97c. Also make sure you take advantage of him (in and out of Uniform) whenever possible.
97d. Reject his advances and make fun of his family.

Hmmmm... 'How to Marry a Superhero' might end up being a thread of it's own. laugh

VirginiaR.
---
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
98. All of your descendants and ancestors will look just like you.

99. All of their acquaintances will look just like people you know, too.

Shallowford
Kerth
Kerth
100. The Kent family will have at least one member work for the Planet for generations to come.
101. People know a map from the local Sewage Reclamation Facility on sight. (Okay, that's also from the show...)
102. Lois is always right (unless she isn't).
103. Lois always tries to stay out of trouble (by heading straight into it).
104. Lois always has a plan. Kind of. It just doesn't usually work.

(From hours and hours of reading fanfic I also learned how many kB I can read in plain text format (txt) per hour. Come to think of it, my English vocabulary increased greatly from reading fanfics here, too. Especially the kind of stuff you never learn at school.)

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
S
SJH Offline
Features Writer
Features Writer
S
105. Tomato paste is an aphrodisiac.
106. It's not easy to make butter chicken.
107. Let HIM do the cooking, let HER do the talking.

J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
Originally posted by YConnell:
16. The average Kryptonian male takes between 5 seconds and 5 days to recover from exposure to Kryptonite.

Yvonne
Actually, I have seen fan fics run recovery time into weeks.

John Pack Lambert
J
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
J
108. When you don't want to get pregnant you will, when you want to get pregnant it will be totally impossible.

John Pack Lambert
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by John Lambert:
108. When you don't want to get pregnant you will, when you want to get pregnant it will be totally impossible.
Isn't that Murphy's Law?

VirginiaR.
---
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
109. There are major natural disasters all over the world at least weekly.

110. Emergency services and the police are incompetent to the point that Superman is required to intervene every time he hears sirens.

111. Natural disasters and sirens always happen whenever Clark is trying to have an important conversation.

112. A Lois from an alternate universe will immediately fall in love with Clark when they meet.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by mrsMxyzptlk:
112. A Lois from an alternate universe will immediately fall in love with Clark when they meet.
Is this really so unbelievable? wink

113. It's not what you can do, or how much money you have that makes you attractive, but who you are.

VirginiaR.
---
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
114. If Lois says more than two sentences at a time, she is babbling, and it is not considered rude to point that out and tell her to shut up.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard