Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Yeah, cheery subject, I know. wink

If someone dies in a car crash, but there's no other vehicles involved, would there be a post mortem? Let's say, for argument's sake, that the car has gone off the road at a sharp corner and smashed into something like a tree or a large rock.

Yvonne

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
This touches on something I've found puzzling while reading US novels.

AFAIK, in the UK any unforeseen/accidental/cause unknown death requires a post mortem, automatically.

But I gather from my reading that this isn't the case in the US. That post mortems aren't automatic, but have to be actively pursued/requested by some authority or other before they're done. Otherwise they aren't done at all.

Is this right?

Sorry to hijack your question for my own personal curiosity, Y <g>, but I figure any answers will give us both what we want. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
In one sense, I have no idea whether a post mortem (is that the same thing as an autopsy?) is automatic under what circumstances.

But in a fanfic sense, I know the answer: It varies by state, and New Troy is fictional, so use whatever you bloody well like laugh

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, Pam - an autopsy. And, LOL - good answer. goofy

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Well, you got me interested enough to do some research. I found this:

When Is an Autopsy Required?

An autopsy is not performed as a part of every death investigation. In most cases, the determination of the need to perform an autopsy is a discretionary responsibility of the coroner or medical examiner. The issuance of a death certificate does not require an autopsy and only a death certificate is needed to qualify for most insurance and death benefit programs. The coroner or medical examiner may determine that no autopsy is required in any situation where there is sufficient evidence to make conclusive determinations on the cause and manner of death. An autopsy is not always necessary in a coroner/medical examiner’s case. Each case is evaluated independently to determine the cause and manner of death. If the coroner/medical examiner is unable to determine the cause and manner of death, the law may require an autopsy to establish the cause and manner of death. In this case, the family’s permission is not needed. If an autopsy is not ordered, the family always has the right to have one done at their own expense. For coroner-ordered autopsies, taxpayers pay for those services: these expenses are included in the coroner/medical examiners's annual budget.

Many coroners and medical examiners have limited the number of autopsies performed because of cost and time constraints. Fiscal pressures have increased as the number of death investigation cases has increased, particularly those involving violent deaths. The cases in which an autopsy is most likely to be omitted include those where there is a known and undisputed cause of death without suspicion of criminal activity.

Medical examiners or coroners investigate about 20% of deaths in the United States, although the percentage varies from state to state. Although these guidelines for which deaths to investigate also vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, most jurisdictions require that these deaths be investigated:

* Deaths due to homicide, suicide, or accidental causes such as motor vehicle crashes, falls, burns, or the ingestion of drugs or other chemical agents.
* Sudden or suspicious deaths, deaths from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), and unattended deaths.
* Deaths caused by an agent or disease constituting a threat to public health.
* Deaths that occur in the workplace.
* Deaths of people who were in custody or confinement.
* Deaths of other people institutionalized for reasons other than organic disease.
* Deaths of people to be cremated.
* Unusual death or suspicion of injury, foul play, or violence
* Sudden, unexpected, unexplained death
* Admitted unconscious, or death within 24 hours after admission, to a hospital.
* Delayed effect of injury, e.g., pulmonary embolism after hip fracture, post-traumatic seizure
* Anesthesia, postanesthesia, postoperative.
* Death related to medical procedure
* Infant or fetal death due to any of above, or possible maternal drug abuse or unlawful abortion. Also, apparent stillbirth/infant death occurring outside of hospital.

The thoroughness of death investigations (and as a result the completeness of death investigation records) also varies from case to case. An autopsy is not always required--sometimes a postmortem examination may consist of only an external examination of the body or review of pertinent medical information. The record of a complete death investigation, however, would include the following:

* The initial report of the death made to the ME/C office (e.g., by a family member, police officer, or attending physician).
* A determination of circumstances surrounding the death. Findings of a scene investigation.
* Findings of a postmortem exam or autopsy.
* Results of laboratory tests to determine the presence of drugs, toxins, or infectious agents.
* Certification of the cause and manner of death.
From here: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/7635.html

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Pam, you make an excellent point. laugh Aria, thanks for the info, which is interesting and very useful. Rat, hijack away - I don't mind at all.

What's embarrassing is that I've now managed to completely skirt around the issue of a post morten in my story. blush Sorry, guys!

That said, I still like to know what's happening in the background of my stories even if I'm not writing specifically about it (am I the only one who's weird like that?) so this wasn't a totally pointless exercise. I'm sure, too, that I'll need to know about this stuff in future stories I write.

Yvonne

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
That said, I still like to know what's happening in the background of my stories even if I'm not writing specifically about it (am I the only one who's weird like that?)
Don't know about weird, Y. I've heard that's the sign of a 'real' writer. wink Certainly, there are a lot of professional authors who share that one with you. Stephen King jots down reams of notes about his characters apparently, with only a fraction of that backhistory going into the novel.

Aria - thanks for that. Very interesting.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Yvonne, I hear you smile In one of my past stories, my character had to use a sword, and I ended up doing about three days of research for what became written in all of two sentences :p A lot of what I found was both surprising and interesting, and I didn't write a word of it. And that's just one particular example.

So I'll join you on the weird brigade smile

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
Merriwether
Merriwether
One thing to keep in mind is that there are some religions that are against autopsies . . .

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard