Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
It's time to submit stories for the next round of competition in the Merriweathers!

The entries will open this Saturday, May 7, and run until May 28. That gives any writer time to wrap up a story that's posted to the boards or to sort through any stories they've posted to the Archive.

We had planned to open this new competition at the end of April. Unfortunately, some members of the M-Comm experienced unexpected family demands that could not be rescheduled. Everyone's calendars are now clear and we're ready to go!

We ask that you submit the links to stories to our gatekeepers: Katrina and LadyNiko. As we stated before, they will send you a confirmation that they have received the link to your story. If you have NOT received a confirmation within three days, please e-mail them and let them know. E-mail is a wonderful thing but documents can and do get lost in cyberspace.

We look forward to receiving your wonderful stories!

Sincerely,

The Merriweather Committee

the little white men in the little white coats are coming to take me away - he he ho ho ha ha!
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
peep Excuse me for being a little out of the loop... but I was just wondering what the category is for this next round? I'd look it up on the website, but I'm a bit too tired and lazy to scrounge up the link right now. Might be helpful to link us to your homepage? laugh

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
πŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts πŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Episode Rewrite, if I'm not mistaken, Sara.

Incidently, M-Comm, while you're here - there were a couple of questions asked about this round on the other thread, which you seem to have missed answering. Don't know if the posters subsequently asked you in email and have been answered, but thought I'd make you aware of them anyway, just in case they're still looking for a response. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Thank you for the up-date, M-comm smile

I had asked on the other thread too (couldn't find it on your site), what are the requirements for a story to qualify as an episode rewrite?

Thank you,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Sorry for the delay on this answer - I had to email the M-Comm folks, wait for an answer, then wait to get off work before I posted the answer. I don't have the board links at this temp gig.... (I'm lucky I even can get to the 'Net - GM is *paranoid* and has passwords for everything you do! :-p)

But, here's your answer -

The Merriweather Committee has met to answer questions about the Ep Rewrite criteria and, based on your questions, this is what we've decided:

For this category, an Epside Rewrite is any fic of any length (up to 60,000 words) that's based around an A-plot from a specific episode or series of episodes from the show. Exact dialogue shouldn't be needed but can be included if the author desires. At the same time, there needs to be some element from whatever show you're rewriting that plays an integral role in the story.

It is also taking a scene in a different direction from where it went in the series. For example -- in Pheromone My Lovely, Clark stopped before he ravaged Lois the morning after. In an episode re-write, he wouldn't stop. Or the pheromone wouldn't have worn off and Lois would continue to come on to him. In GGGOH, Clark might get shot by Rachel while he was still under the influence of Kryptonite. Or someone else in Smallville might discover Clark's secret. It just needs to be a different take on the story everyone already know from the series. TOGOM stories could be considered episode rewrites.

An episode rewrite should not start in the middle of a scene from
an episode and then entirely take off on another tangent (and not use
anything else from the episode).

Single scene rewrites are permitted and encouraged. It is up to the individual author to decide what they want to submit.

Additionally, writers can post a link from either the message boards or a link from the Archive. And if they want to write something specifically for the contest, they can post it in its entirety on either message board, send in the link and it is considered as an entry for this category.

Remember: the story has to be linked. Unsolicited attachments to e-mails will be disqualified. We are sorry that we had to tighten the submission process but it's for everyone's benefit.

Also please remember that the judges do not see the links to the authors or stories. The gatekeepers removed all identifying markers (title, name, dedications, etc.) are removed before they are forwarded to the judges.

Thank you and we look forward to receiving those stories!

The Merriweather Committee

the little white men in the little white coats are coming to take me away - he he ho ho ha ha!
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Um... I still don't see a link to the Merriweather homepage. I'm sitting here thinking, hey, maybe I'll send something in, but y'all are making me work harder than if you'd included a link. smile Making a link isn't hard at all, btw; under the box where you compose the message, there's a button for "URL" which will walk you through it. Same for linking to e-mail addresses. No HTML knowlege required.

Hope this helps -- and if you've got any questions, feel free to either ask around or email me at chiefpam@nc.rr.com.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go hunting for your website...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
*rubs tired eyes* wasn't it http://www.geocities.com/kennychesneycantsing ? I remember you saying something about that, Pam. <g> And I agree with you--Kenny Chesney can TOO sing!

razz Back to studying for exams.

Sleep Deprived Laura

β€œRules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Sorry for not posting the link... wink

I'm getting this stuff at like midnight when I get home from work and forget little details like that... (I work 2:30-11 pm-ish, and it's close to an hour drive home.)

I have stuff bookmarked, I don't know the URLs for this. I am the completely unknowing person - I have no idea what's what out here! wink

Sleeeeeep.... need sleep to get up in am & get stuff done.....

G
Columnist
Columnist
G
I'm still unclear about the criteria for an episode rewrite.

You've explained that
an Epside Rewrite is any fic of any length (up to 60,000 words) that's based around an A-plot from a specific episode or series of episodes from the show.
I interpret that to mean that the A-plot of the fic is based on the A-plot of the episode.

But then you write,
It is also taking a scene in a different direction from where it went in the series.
If this happens, then the A-plot from the fic may be very different than the A-plot from the series.
Can it be either?

The following two statements seem to contradict each other.
An episode rewrite should not start in the middle of a scene from an episode and then entirely take off on another tangent (and not use anything else from the episode).
Single scene rewrites are permitted and encouraged.
If the scene is rewritten, perhaps a whole new A-plot could revolve around what may have been considered by some as a throw-away scene, but by a particular author may be the stepping stone or the central concept behind the fic. E.g. in GGGOH, a fic may start off with Lois and Clark at the country fair, Clark doesn't win the doll, they go line-dancing and the story just takes off and then joins Clark and Lois at the end after the thrill in Smallville.

I'm confused. I want to take the plunge and submit one of my fics to the Merriweathers, but I consider it an episode rewrite but I'm not sure the committee would.
help
gerry

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Gerry, I'd suggest you just take a story that you based on an episode originally. Once it's established which ep it is, where it goes from there is, I think, up to you, as long as it's a logical extrapolation. As you know, I do a lot of ep rewrites, and this time I took my courage in both hands and submitted one. If they don't like it, they can always disqualify it, but I'd say it sounds like there is a lot of latitude here.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Merriwether
Merriwether
For this category, an Epside Rewrite is any fic of any length (up to 60,000 words) that's based around an A-plot from a specific episode or series of episodes from the show.
Does a story have to rewrite the A-plot to qualify? What if a story keeps the same basic A-plot (the villain plot), but rewrites the B-plot (the romance plot) instead? Does that story qualify?

Or is "based around the A-plot" just your way of saying "based on a specific episode"?

Kathy

Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Hey all -

Just a reminder, the category for April is Ep Rewrites and the whole explination is to be found here:

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Nominations will be accepted until May 28.

Okie dokie? *g*

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Were you trying to link to a particular thread within the mbs? At the moment, your link simply goes to the front page of the mbs - which will be confusing, I think, for anyone looking for that explanation. laugh

If you need help working out a link to a specific thread, just holler - someone will be able to help you get there. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Actually, the explanation appears to be in this thread, a few posts above this. Is that the information you were referring to, M-Comm Member?

If so, though, then KathyB's question about adaptations which alter the B-plot of an episode, while leaving the A-plot more or less untouched, still remains unanswered. Would anyone from M-Com like to clarify that one? confused

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Originally posted by LauraBF:
*rubs tired eyes* wasn't it http://www.geocities.com/kennychesneycantsing ? I remember you saying something about that, Pam. <g> And I agree with you--Kenny Chesney can TOO sing!

razz Back to studying for exams.

Sleep Deprived Laura
Who the heck is Kenny Chesney? laugh

(who thinks we lost harmony in the 1980's and melody in the 1990's and therefore doesn't listen to anything made in the last couple of decades)

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Who the heck is Kenny Chesney?
Uh... isn't he Renee Zellweger's boyfriend? laugh

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
*If* you must know, Kenny Chesney is a fairly popular country music singer. smile I'm not a huge fan of his, but I've enjoyed all the songs of his that I've heard.

Googling revealed his official website: http://www.kennychesney.com/

More info than you wanted, I'm sure goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Merriwether
Merriwether
According to the news this morning, as of this weekend, he's Renee's husband. (Saw the news, and immediately thought of this thread. heh)

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
You beat me to it. I was driving home from the store this morning and heard Paul Harvey announce it. They were married yesterday in the Virgin Islands.

Kenny wrote the song "You Had Me From Hello" based on Renee's famous line from the movie "Jerry Maguire." I've always thought of Lois and Clark when I hear that song. I think they had each other from hello, whether they wanted to admit it or not. wink

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
REMINDER!!! smile1

M-Comm is still looking for submissions for this round of the Merriweathers. Only have about four submissions for this round.

Remember, the theme of this round is Ep Re-writes - what do you think should have happened in a particular ep? smile

Wendy, are you going to submit something for this? Please do! We need submissions!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard