Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I know it's a model of Krypton. That it's found with the ship. It responds to Clark and promises, eh...five(?)messages from Jor-el.

Did he get all five? Is five a number I just pulled from the sky? Does the globe ever show up again after Superman gets it back from Luthor? And why, if the globe is set to respond to CK, does it play for Lex at all?

And what is it, really? What would you call it? A communicator? A really fancy tape recorder with delayed playback?

And while I'm here piling up the questions- is it supposed to be part of the ship's navigation system? The brain or the memory? Or am I borrowing that from elsewhere?

Ack! I just counted them all up. Eleven questions.

Big thanks to the hardy, energetic soul who tries to respond to them all!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey, CC smile

I'm bored out of my skull here, which is really the only reason I'm answering laugh so take everything following with a pinch of salt...

I'm not sure if it was five messages... ehrm... let me think... "This is the first of [insert number here] times I will appear"... you know, five does sound good there. So first answer - maybe, maybe not. Great start :p

He did get all [insert number here] messages - most of them were 'activated', if you will, by Lex with Nigel looking on, and he somehow saw them as well - I remember one particular shot of him flying through Metropolis, and suddenly stopping to 'watch' the message as it played out. If memory serves me right, I think he was the only one who saw the last one, which AFAIK basically summed up the fact that the planet was dying and showed his parents loading him into the space craft thingy.

I always did wonder about why it played for Lex, and for Jack, when it was apparently 'attuned' to Clark - maybe the ride through space knocked that particular aspect in it out of whack? goofy

Hope I managed to help a little... and also hope that these questions mean you're writing... wildguy wildguy wildguy

Sara smile

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi CC:
Here's my memory:
1. It activates in Clark's room first, his presence triggering it some manner.
2. Jor-El says "This is the first of five messages, watch and learn."
3. Clark found it with his spaceship and it appears to be the memory core/navigation system for the ship.
4. After the first message, it appears to be triggered by any human (Jack & Lex) or is on a timer of some kind.
5. Superman hears it telepathically when he is flying. So he gets the message no matter who triggers it.
Hmm, I think that's it from the show. Fanfic writers have made good use of it.
Looking forward to your version.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Interesting that you ask these questions as I am researching the same episode and have watched it some 5 times in the last week.

Originally posted by CC Aiken:
I know it's a model of Krypton. That it's found with the ship. It responds to Clark and promises, eh...five(?)messages from Jor-el.

Did he get all five? Is five a number I just pulled from the sky?
Yes it was 5.

Does the globe ever show up again after Superman gets it back from Luthor?
no

And why, if the globe is set to respond to CK, does it play for Lex at all?
Popular theory is that in being stolen by Jack and dropped it somehow damaged the internal mechanism. I find this odd, since it was designed to survive interstellar travel and survived the landing on earth...

And what is it, really? What would you call it? A communicator? A really fancy tape recorder with delayed playback?
It is a data storage/navigational aid/mighty morphing...ahem, device with communicator abilities.

And while I'm here piling up the questions- is it supposed to be part of the ship's navigation system? The brain or the memory? Or am I borrowing that from elsewhere?
yes.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
grumble Personally, I have never gotten the POINT of the globe; the writers were acting like Superman: The Movie wannabes-anyway, they could've chosen a way better way to have Jor-El "contact" Clark.

Not that we were talking about this or anything...

SRR

[Lucius is trying to get his wife to tell him wear his Super suit is in 'The Incredibles']
Lucius Best: This is about the greater good!
Honey Best: I'm your wife! I'm the greatest good you're ever going to get!
Merriwether
Merriwether
Clearly it was the El family PC, adapted for use as an interstellar navigation device (well, it already had Mapquest) and message recorder.

I have a sneaking suspicion the last message was actually a grocery list. And nowhere on Earth can you get really good kreyla.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
A very belated thank you for all your help with this!

I so enjoyed your answers, and I think I'll go with an 'all of the above' approach- most especially the grocery list.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Merriwether
Merriwether
laugh

Don't forget the kreyla!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard