Next Thread
Print Thread
#146535 02/08/05 05:21 PM
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
Since Best Series is no longer a category frown frown sad , and stories within the series are allowed to be nominated in other categories, how should be as nominators deal with a series as a whole in size-restricted categories? For example (using my own stories here, but it could also apply to all of the other series), the Let it Snow series each individually is a WaFFy Holiday vignette, but togethere, they amount to 92k. Will they be elegable as a whole for categories with size restrictions like best WaFFy? I know there are several other series in this situation, too. There are two more that were on my Kerth list that I now am having trouble placing in other categories.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#146536 02/08/05 11:10 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just wanted to second Laura's question. smile The issue she raised crossed my mind too -- sometimes a series forms a complete story in itself and so it seems appropriate to nominate it as such, given that there is no series cat this year. So, for example, if the total K count of the series bumps it up from short to mid-length or from mid-length to drama is it okay to nominate the series in the longer category even though each part of the series may be a short story? Yet somehow, it doesn't seem quite right to do so, given the structure required for say a mid-length story compared to a vignette - apples and oranges etc.

c.

#146537 02/09/05 12:05 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Our thought is that a series can be nominated together in the theme categories (drama, elseworld, supporting character, etc) but not in the size-restricted categories. For example, Laura, your Snow series could be nominated as a group in "Holiday/Special Occasion" smile And each one individually can be nominated in WAFFy. But as Carol says, you can't string together three 50k stories and nominate them in "long ep adapt," because there is a difference in structure.

If you need help remembering the categories this year (like I do goofy ) the official list is on the Kerth site .

Make sense?

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#146538 02/09/05 03:39 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have to agree with Laura and Carol: Series has been tough for me to replace in my nominations. sad But I understand the reasoning: with 13 eligible series this year (counting Bethy's, which wasn't available when I originally counted) and a much smaller number of stories overall, some categories had to go.

It's not that I have difficulty remembering the categories and so working out where the series stories should go. The problem is that some stories just belong together. I simply can't pick out which of, say, Laura's Snow series I want to nominate in WAFFy, and if I nominate all four separately that takes up a lot of my slots. One series (Kae's and mine, as it happens, but I'm just using it as an example) has six stories, thus taking up even more. The total KB size is over 60, thus making it as a unit too long for the short story categories, even though the individual stories are between 8kb and 18kb. If this was someone else's series and I were nominating it, I'd have problems figuring out where to put it. wink

ML's Without A Superman series is also, to me, a unit; I can't pick out one to nominate above the others, and so where I'm nominating those stories they will be as a series. At least with the size restrictions gone from the long-story categories that's less of a problem.

Anyway, I'm assuming that you guys are ready to handle this when the noms come in, and I suppose it's really only with the short story series that the problem exists.

Wendy smile (back to struggling with her noms).

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#146539 02/09/05 06:25 AM
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
Wendy pointed out *exactly* the problem I am having. She mentioned the two series I was struggling with placing (along with Bethy's Reluctantly Engaged/Readily Engaged). I understand that the number of stories this year is far less, and I know that categories had to go, but why not bring back the best series category with fewer slots for nominees? So it would be similar to cutting whole categories -- since there are 2/3 of the stories eligible this year, there could be 2/3 of the slots available on the ballot. So instead of 6 slots on the ballot for best series, there could be 4 slots (or instead of 5, then 3 or 4).

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#146540 02/09/05 02:22 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
We appreciate your frustration, Laura. Unfortunately, we have no plans to bring back the Series category for this year. We did do some tweaking to the category list when we first posted it, and we appreciate all the suggestions we received (including those requests to bring back Series), but at this point, with nominations opening on Sunday, we consider the category list on Erin's site to be the final list.

Kathy
Kerth Committee Member

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard