Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
There's an interesting interview with Neal Stephenson (author of Cryptonomicon) on slashdot. The answer I found fascinating was the second one - a discussion of popular vs. literary writing.

Do you think fanfic counts as Beowulf writing? goofy

Mere

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Do you think fanfic counts as Beowulf writing?
I would say most fiction written these days does. Authors like Stephen King who started while they were still in their day jobs, but later became successful enough to quit them, are more accountable to their fans than anyone else. It is the readers who really decide what has value.

Stephen King, although he has a great deal of talent, has been sneered at by literature purists because he writes genre fiction. But does that make his stories any less interesting to read? Does it make him less of a writer? I don't think so.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard