Sections of Chapter 5 were taken from the original story - Jungle Love. This is the last chapter that reprints parts from the original story, I promise!

~~~~~

Saturday morning, 11:00 a.m.: Clark fetched a wonderful “bagels and coffee” breakfast from a well-known coffee shop in Seattle, Washington; they then found themselves saying goodbye to their favorite haven once again, and heading east toward Smallville, Kansas. Sunlight started to disappear from view, and then reappear, as they were actually traveling back in time sixteen hours to re-live Friday night all over again. Since it was now daylight savings time, it was still light in Kansas at 5 p.m. Clark decided it would be best to use the tunnel to visit his folks.

“I created this tunnel so no one would suspect that I am as close to my ‘tenants’ as I really am,” Clark explained. “I don’t need the underworld going after them as a way to get to me.” He dropped down from the sky, and opened the entrance door, which was covered with leaves and debris. They were soon flying through the underground entranceway, which ended in the basement of the Kent farmhouse.

“Clark, are you worried, then, that they will try to hurt me in the same fashion? Since it’s public information that we are married,” Lois asked, as they began walking up the stairs to the kitchen.

“I am, but I plan to be around you almost every waking minute, if I have to,” he responded. “Since they’re in Kansas, it would be very hard to protect them around the clock.”

“True. But how are you going to protect me from an exploding toilet in the women’s rest room, for example?” Lois joked. “Or a Superman rescue mission when you have to leave me alone?”

“All I know is, Lois, without you in it, my life’s not worth living, so I will figure it out, I promise,” he said.

<I still think I’m the one that’s going to have to protect you> Lois thought, and then deliberately blocked her mind so Clark couldn’t “hear” what she said.

Martha and Jonathan had coffee and tea brewing, and the smell of a baking apple pie permeated the country kitchen.

“Honey, you’re here. I heard about all the problems at the Planet,” said Martha. “I’m so glad you’re both okay.”

“Ma, Lois and I made a promise that we’re not talking shop until we have to go back to work on Monday morning. We’re here to spend time with you, and that’s that,” Clark said.

Jonathan gave Lois a big hug. “I’m so happy that Clark finally found you. Now we can all share each other’s lives, the way it should be.”

“Honey, I hope you don’t mind, but I invited Lana and Pete over, and they’re going to bring their son as well. I know they would want to meet you, Lois,” said Martha.

“Martha, that’s fine. I want to meet all of Clark’s friends. And I’ve heard a lot about Lana. I’m anxious to meet her as well,” Lois replied.

“How old is their son, by the way?”

“About six weeks, now. His name is Christopher Peter Ross. He’s adorable. Did you know that Clark is the Godfather?” Martha asked Lois.

“No, but it makes sense. They’re all friends from high school, right?”

“Yes, I guess so,” Martha said. “Of course, we weren’t here then for Clark, but ‘our’ Clark was best friends with 'his' Lana and Pete,” she said, with sadness in her voice.

“Martha, I’m so sorry about your Clark and your daughter–in–law. That’s so horrifying for you. Does it help or hurt to be around me and Clark, when we look so much like the family you lost so tragically?” Lois wanted to know.

“It’s a double-edged sword, truthfully, Lois dear. Thanks for asking. But knowing how this Clark was so sad all of the time, with no parents and no you to share his life with, really gave us a purpose in life when we came here. Without that, we would have died of broken hearts,” Martha said.

“I guess that H.G. Wells character did a good thing, then, by bringing you both to this earth. I’m happy that you’re here, Martha and Jonathan.”

“I can see you are just as sweet as the Lois we loved so much. Both of our sons have great taste in women,” remarked Jonathan.

There was a knock at the door. “That must be Lana and Pete and the baby. I’ll get it," Martha said.

What she saw made her jaw drop several inches.

Wells’ time machine was parked outside on the driveway.

Martha thought she was in a house of mirrors at the amusement park. She was looking at Clark, Lois, two children that looked exactly like them, and – a carbon copy version of her and Jonathan!

“Oh, my,” was all she could say. “Oh, my! Clark! Please come to the door.”

“Mrs. Kent, I’m so sorry to stop by unannounced. But we understand that today is a special day and we came to share it with all of you,” explained Wells.

“Please, do come in.”

Clark recognized his friends from the "other” earth, Clark ("CK") and Lois. Two small children, looking to be about 2 and 4 years old, accompanied them. They were both dark-haired, with big brown eyes, one boy, and one girl. Clark’s parents were there as well, virtually identical to his folks.

“Hey, CK. Hey Lois, good to see you again,” he said, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. “Looks like you guys have been busy raising a family, huh?” he said, smiling at their children.

The two Loises were scrutinizing each other. Ironically, the "other" Lois was now wearing her hair in a longer, freer flowing style, so it was easier to tell them apart.

“Hi Lois, I’m Lois too. To avoid confusion, call me either Linda or 'LL' – Linda was the name I went by in the refugee camps over in Congo-Brazzaville. I’m so happy to meet you, and I want to thank you for making Clark realize what a mistake he would have made marrying Lana,” she said.

“I'll call you 'Double L' – kind of appropriate since we're essentially twins! So it's 'CK and Lois', 'Clark and LL'! Kind of fun, since those are my initials too! And you're very welcome! *Every* world needs a Superman. It was his destiny. I’m so glad to finally meet you too. I can relax now, knowing that Clark won’t be lonely and miserable any more, now that you’re here with him.”

“That’s sweet, but he saved me too. I had resigned myself to being single the rest of my life, until he came along.”

“I know; I felt the same way. Wow, we are like twins, except for the hair.”

“I *just* had my hair cut short like yours was. Clark had a picture of you in the crowd from the time you were here, and I thought it looked great. But I see you’ve let yours grow out a bit,” observed LL.

“Yes, now that the kids are a bit older, I have a little more time to fuss with my hair in the morning,” Lois joked.

“Clark, you know my parents, Martha and Jonathan Kent. You met them the last time you visited ‘our’ world,” CK said.

“Yes, of course. So good to see both of you again,” Clark said. “And these are ‘my’ folks, Martha and Jonathan Kent, but in this world their ‘legal’ names are 'Joe and Mary Lang'. Did Herb explain it all to you?” Clark asked as everyone shook hands in amazement. It was the strangest feeling, shaking hands with ‘yourself’.

CK smiled. “Yes, he did. Quite a story. I’m happy it all worked out for you, and I’d really like to go over to ‘their’ earth sometime and kick those rogue Kryptonians out of power. Let me know when you want to go!”

“You bet! Sounds good to me!”

“Now, I’d like to introduce you to Kara and Jared. Kara is two and Jared is going to be four next month, in May. Kids, say hello to everyone,” Lois said, putting her arms around the children, bringing them to the forefront.

“Hi,” they said in unison. “How come you all look the same?” Jared asked.

The group laughed. “Honey, I’ll explain it to you when you’re a little older,” Lois said. “This is Aunt Double L, Uncle Clark, and Grandma Mary and Grandpa Joe. Give everyone a handshake or a kiss, now,” she instructed.

“Do I have to?” whined Jared. Lois glared at him. “All right,” he said, making the rounds of the group. “How come Kara doesn’t have to do this?”

“She will, when she’s older. For now, Kara, give everyone a hug,” Clark interjected. Kara began walking around the group of adults, giving each person a gentle squeeze.

“Wow,” LL remarked. “They’re beautiful kids. Clark and I were just talking about starting a family. Now I’m even more excited about it.”

“We have some tips that will help you get pregnant,” said Lois. “Before we leave, I’ll share them with you.”

“Great! Yes, I didn’t think about that…. Clark *is* an alien. DNA could be different… hmm.”

Suddenly, there was another knock on the door. “Now, this time, it must be the Rosses.”

And so it was.

Kara and Jared were excited to have a newborn to play with. Little Christopher was kissed, teased, and prodded by the two of them… and he seemed to love it, smiling back at them with his freckled face, framed by strands of curly blond hair here and there.

After introductions were made again, Lana motioned LL over to the living room to have a private conversation. “I’m so excited you’re here. I’m sure Clark told you the whole story about what a 'bitch' I used to be,” Lana began.

“Well, I guess you were afraid that society couldn’t accept Clark for who he was. You were younger then. It’s understandable,” LL said sympathetically. <She's really pretty, though. I can see why Clark was with her for so long>.

<"No one - *no one* - holds a candle to you, Lois,"> Clark affirmed to his wife, as he had 'felt' her insecurities even while he was carrying on a conversation with Pete in the other room.

LL beamed inappropriately as Clark's thoughts entered her head. Lana didn't seem to notice.

“I know. I let a great man walk away from me because of my own jealous fears. But truthfully, he never loved me the way he loves you ‘Lois Lanes’,” Lana replied. “There’s something about you ‘Loises'… you give him more than I ever could. So I’m so happy and relieved that he finally found you.”

“Are *you* happy, Lana? Clark tells me that Pete always had a thing for you.”

“Yes, I am. Pete is the sweetest, most wonderful man, and he’s right for me. Just the way Clark is right for you. Clark and I have become very close again. It took several years for the bitterness to fade away, but I’m so glad we were able to put that behind us, because he’s like my best friend now. Do you know how many times I tried to fix him up with someone, and he always had an excuse? You were the only one he wanted, I’d have you know. He’s a 'one-woman' man, all the way. You’re a lucky lady, Lois Lane. Congratulations on your marriage!” Lana said, giving LL a kiss on the cheek and a hug.

“Thanks, Lana. And by the way, your son is gorgeous,” she replied. “And it was very sweet of you to help Clark find a way for the Kents to re-establish themselves as your Aunt and Uncle.”

“Thanks, Lois. I hope that we can all be close now. I guess, with all the people in the kitchen, we have ourselves a par-tee!”

“Yes, I guess we do,” smiled LL. “And one where *half* the guests have identical twins in the room. Better get out the cameras to save this one for posterity!”

~~~~~

The two Clarks decided to go off flying together. They were heading towards the North Pole, as the world didn't need to see two Supermen simultaneously. They finally came to rest on a gigantic iceberg floating in the North Atlantic Sea.

Clark spoke first. "CK, I have a big problem. Maybe you can help me with it. Lois and I made a promise to each other not to talk about it this weekend, but I really need to brainstorm this situation with someone impartial. Are you game?"

"Sure, Clark. Huh. I would have thought that all your problems were over, now that you've met and married 'your' Lois!" CK said.

"Lois is being blackmailed by someone who told her he's a twin brother – *fraternal* twin brother - of Lex Luthor," Clark revealed.

"Twin brother? Yikes. One Lex Luthor per world is more than enough for me," CK said. "Blackmailed – how?"

"Someone stole a large chunk of Kryptonite from Star Labs, and they've already used it on me once. It was huge – it almost did me in. They're threatening to kill me with it, this time, should Lois ever reveal that this guy is Luthor's twin brother," Clark explained. "They have her so spooked, she wasn't even going to tell *me*. I think that Lex's suicide was a sham. The two 'brothers' have never been seen together. To the world, he's just another corporate sharpie at Edge Enterprises. But if we could prove he was, indeed, Lex's brother – we could probably have him arrested for murder. And a whole lot more, I'm sure."

"Ok, so how did she find out that this guy *is* his brother?" CK asked. "I thought she was keeping a low profile in the jungle for the last ten years. Leave it to a 'Lois Lane' to get herself in over her head, even when she's not trying!"

"Before she left for Congo-Brazzaville, she went out on a date with Lex."

CK winced involuntarily, remembering the emotional pain he had endured when his Lois had become engaged to the Luthor in his world.

"She was staying in a suite with him in San Francisco - separate rooms, thank God - and she heard him making phone calls in the next room. She put a towel over the phone and listened in, and heard the names 'Nigel' and 'Lenny'. Well, we all know that Nigel St. John was Luthor's right hand man, but no one had ever heard of 'Lenny'," Clark explained. "At least, not at that time; this was over 10 years ago.

"Lex figured out that Lois was listening on the other end, and sent her on a wild goose chase to Congo-Brazzaville. The minute she got off the plane, she was abducted, beat up, and left in the jungle to die. But you know our Loises – they're nearly unstoppable, and she somehow survived, and hid out in various refugee camps, constantly on the run - for nearly ten years. She called herself 'Linda', and wanted everyone to think that she was dead, since Luthor's goons had threatened to kill her family if she ever showed up alive.

"When she heard that Lex had died, she felt it was safe to come home, and e-mailed the Daily Planet to come rescue her – which I did. While we were there, another couple of goons, from Edge Enterprises now – rendered me useless with the Kryptonite, and then brought Lois to their local office – a corrupt Brazzaville oil company that was in bed with Luthor Corp. It was at that time that Lois was put on speakerphone with this 'Thorul' character and he told her the entire sordid story."

"But *why* would he tell her? She didn't have a clue who he really was," CK argued.

"He realized, with Lois coming back to the States, that she would figure out that Leonard Thorul, respected businessman, was the 'Lenny' on the phone all those years ago. Right now, there is no apparent connection. As far as the world knows, he's a VP with Edge Enterprises from their West Coast division. He didn't want her to start an investigation. They're holding onto the Kryptonite and threatening that if she tells anyone, they'll kill me," Clark explained.

"Whoa, what a story," CK breathed. "So, how is it that these two were never seen together, or that no one ever knew Lex had a brother?"

"Apparently, he grew up on the West Coast, in San Diego, California; neither one of them knew about each other's existence, until Lenny's mother, who was really his aunt, passed away. Lenny was left a huge trust fund set up jointly by his biological mother, who was also Lex's mom, and his aunt. At that time, the truth about his true background was revealed to him. Realizing that his newfound blood brother, Lex Luthor, was forging an empire, he wanted in. He managed to convince him to be his silent, unseen business partner. They looked enough alike with their heads shaved to be identical twins, so they would alternate playing "Lex Luthor". In this way, Lenny became familiar enough with Lex's empire that he didn't need him anymore. Luthor Corp's stock mysteriously took a dive in the stock market, and shortly thereafter, Lex was found dead on the sidewalk adjacent to his corporate headquarters.

"No one knew he has a twin brother out there, and so it was ruled a suicide. There are no records, supposedly, that will verify that what he told Lois is actually true. But it's highly suspicious that right after Edge Enterprises acquired Luthor Corp, Leonard Thorul, with a full head of red curly hair, surfaced as a VP of Acquisitions for Edge's company. They just put poor James Olson out of business – he had to sell the Daily Planet to them, just to keep it running. So now, to make matters worse, this viper is now our boss at the Planet.

"So, yeah, I'm so thrilled that Lois and I are together, but – what a huge mess, all at the same time. We just visited Bernie Klein, who is working on an antidote for Kryptonite – to see how close he might be to coming up with one. As long as that big chunk of Kryptonite is at large out there, Lois is scared that if she makes a wrong move - I'm history."

"Yeah, *my* Bernie Klein has been working on that, too," CK said. "But he did find that Kryptonite was helpful when Lois and I wanted to start a family. A small exposure to it prior to - *you know*, and, during the time I'm just an ordinary man, Lois is able to conceive," CK informed him.

"Excellent!" Clark said. "It's really great to know that. Lois and I were just talking about starting a family. We're in our mid thirties, already… we don't have much time," he explained. "You'll have to give me the details before you leave."

"No problem. Hey, let's get back to Smallville, I want to pick Wells' brains about this Kryptonite antidote problem," CK advised.

~~~~~

Back at the Kent/ "Lang" farmhouse, each "twin" was comparing their parallel worlds. Lana and Pete had already left, as it was time to put the baby down for a nap. The two Jonathans had taken a walk out to the barn; the two Marthas were in the kitchen, comparing apple pie recipes and 'Clarks'; and the two Loises were sitting outside on the porch, discussing the "Lenny Thorul" dilemma as well and watching Kara and Jared, who were playing out on the front lawn. Herb was taking a nap on the sofa in the living room. He was wiped out from too much inter-dimensional traveling.

"It's so nice to be able to confide in you," LL said to her twin, and new friend, Lois. "Clark and I promised each other we wouldn't talk about the problems at the Planet while we were in Smallville, but I really feel like you might be able to help me. You know, I didn't even want to tell Clark about who this Thorul jerk really is – I am so afraid they'll use the Kryptonite to kill him."

"Well, I'm somewhat grateful to Kryptonite, because it allowed me to have my babies," Lois replied. "But I sure wouldn't want to be in *your* position. I think I would freak out if there was a clone of Luthor's running around in my world."

"*Clones*? Is there a way to 'clone' someone, really?" asked LL. "I thought that was just a bunch of science fiction mumbo-jumbo."

"How would you have liked to have had a frog-eating clone take your place on your wedding day? Believe me, it's not mumbo-jumbo," asserted Lois. "I wouldn’t be surprised if your 'Lenny Thorul' was really a clone that Luthor created. Or, he's still alive and it was really the clone that died. I wouldn't put anything past that scumbag!" Lois ranted.

"Ewwww… gross! The clone ate frogs? Wow, I had never considered the possibility that Thorul was lying to me. Maybe he was trying to throw me completely off track. How could I find out if he's telling me the truth?" LL asked. "He said there is no paper connection to him and Lex. Can't exhume the body to test for DNA without a court order, which I'm sure I'd need hard-core evidence to get. I'll admit to you only, Lois, that I'm a tad rusty. Give me a place to start, and then I'll run with it from there," LL said.

"Well… first, you'd have to research his childhood and see if he really grew up in San Diego, I guess. Waitaminute! Herb is here! We should take advantage of him. He can help us unravel a number of these mysteries, all before you report for your stupid 'psychological examination' on Monday morning!" Lois exclaimed, with great enthusiasm. "Where is he, anyway? We need to do some time-traveling!"

Just then, a "whooshing" sound foreshadowed the return of their respective spouses.

"Hi honey," they both said to their wives, kissing them on their foreheads.

"Where's Wells? Ah, there he is," CK said, finding him sleeping on the sofa, with his enhanced vision.

"Why are *you* guys looking for him? We have a great idea," said Lois.

"So do *we*," said Clark. "Let's wake him up and see if he can help us."

Herb opened his eyes and thought he was seeing double. Well, he was. Two identical Clarks, and two *nearly* identical Loises (only "nearly", because one had longer hair than the other) were staring down at him. He sat up slowly, trying to shake off the nausea that always haunted him when he traveled within the dimensional worlds.

"My word, what's this all about?" he finally asked.

"Herb, we need you to help us with a bit of detective work," said Lois.

"Herb, we need you to help us find the time in the future when Dr. Klein discovers the antidote for Kryptonite," said Clark.

"One at a time, please," pleaded Wells. "I'm already in a state of confusion."

"It's your world, Clark; you go first," said Lois.

"Herb, both of the Dr. Kleins in our respective worlds are working on a cure for Kryptonite poisoning. Do you know what year one of them finally discovers it?" asked Clark.

"No, no! Even if I *did* know, I can't help you change the future in your own worlds. If you knew of another dimension where there was a Kryptonite cure available *now*, perhaps that wouldn't disrupt the time – space continuum," he advised.

Just then, the two Jonathans came back in. "Joe Lang" was telling "Jonathan Kent" the horrible story of the rogue Kryptonians and how they murdered his Clark by imprisoning him in a cage made out of Kryptonite bars.

"But, 'Joe'… if they were Kryptonian also, how did they manage to get anywhere near that cage? How could they survive? That cage should have been just as dangerous to them as it was to Clark," Jonathan pointed out.

"Hmmm… good point," 'Joe' replied.

The five of them had overheard the elder Kents' conversation. The two Clarks became animated, and exclaimed, nearly in unison: "Herb, take us over to that world! The New Kryptonians must have had an antidote for Kryptonite! How else could they have murdered that Clark?"

"Joe" became wide-eyed at the suggestion that these fine boys go back to the murderous world that he and "Mary" had left, putting their lives in jeopardy. "No, Clarks, I won't allow it. Martha and I watched our boy and daughter-in-law die at the hands of those bastards. We can't go through that again!" he declared. At that, the room exploded with shouting and loud discussion. A loud rap on the coffee table interrupted the chaos.

"Can I speak?" Wells asked rather meekly. "I have a point to make, if you would only allow me."

The group, now joined by the two Marthas as well, looked at Herb and quieted down.

"It's been over three years since I brought Martha and Jonathan back from that wretched world. It's very possible that somehow, the New Kryptonians have been thrown out of power by now. It's also possible that it is even a more violent world now, than it was. Since my machine will materialize in the other universe exactly where it is here, there's a risk involved. We may not be able to hide the machine in time; we may put ourselves in jeopardy. I suggest that if we do decide to travel there, that only the Clarks come with me, and that they disguise their appearance as much as possible."

"Herb, just show us how to operate the machine; you can stay here. You're looking sickly, and you'll definitely stick out like a sore thumb over there," CK suggested.

"Oh my… not go with my machine? What a dreadful thought that is," he replied. "I fear that I am quite attached to it, and can't bear the thought of parting with it. How about if I leave you two in that world, and we plan for me to rendezvous with you at the same time, same place, 24 hours later? Will that allow you enough time?" he asked.

"I think so," said Clark.

"It'll have to be enough time," said CK.

LL piped up. "So Herb, when you come back, you can take us to San Diego, California, thirty years ago, so we can do some research on this 'Lenny Thorul' character!"

"Oh my word, do you people ever get tired?" Wells said. "We better get moving, Clarks, so I can come back and help your wives play 'Sherlock Holmes'."

Both couples had to share a moment before the guys departed with Herb.

"Oh, Clark… this is the first real time we've been separated since we met. I'm worried I'll never see you again," whined LL. "Will the telepathy work in a different dimension?"

"I don't know, Lois, but after waiting so long to be with you, there's no way I'm not coming back. If there is any way I can send you a message, you can be sure that I will," promised Clark, kissing her passionately, running his hands up and down her back, then fingering her now short hair, kissing the nape of her neck. "I love you so much, honey."

"Not as much as I love you," LL cooed in response.

The other couple was having a similar, yet different, conversation.

"Clark, this reminds me of another time you left for another world and it had to do with the New Kryptonians that time, too. Please be careful. The kids and I need you," Lois said to CK. "I love you so much."

"Honey, you know how much I love you, too. And, Lois – you're not even going to miss me; you're going to be off on your own adventure in San Diego! Just think how much we'll have to tell each other, the next time we're together," CK suggested, hugging and kissing the woman who was the mother of his beautiful children.

Herb cleared his throat to alert the lovebirds that departure time was at hand.

"Clarks, please have your mothers find you some type of disguise. Clearly, wearing a Superman outfit is not the way to enter this other world," he said, at an attempt at humor.

Several minutes later, a blond-haired CK sporting a baseball cap, jeans, and an old tee shirt along with a red-haired Clark with horn-rimmed glasses and overalls with a plaid shirt underneath, made their debut. "I'm going to call myself Pete," said the blond Clark, "since we have the same hair color now."

"I'm going to call myself Jimmy, after my buddy back home who's almost a red-head," said CK. "Thanks Moms, for the quick hair-dye job."

Kara and Jared came running up. "Daddy? What happened to you? You guys look funny… both of you."

The two Loises were hysterical. "Marthas, how did you dye their hair? If you can't cut it, how can you dye it?" asked Lois.

"With a little treatment of heat vision, anything is possible," 'Mary Lang' replied. "Don't they look great? Remember, they *are* traveling to another Smallville. If it's still there, that is," she sighed.

The Clarks gave their Loises one last goodbye kiss, and headed towards the machine with Herb. Within minutes, it disappeared completely from view.

LL felt her heart go with him into the other world. An emptiness she hadn't felt in over a week transcended her. Their telepathic connection was gone.

"Isn't it awful?" asked Lois, empathizing with her. "The soul-mate connection that we have with them… it just makes you feel so lost, when they go away like that."

"It sure does," LL said, her eyes misting over. "I never thought I could love someone that much."

"I know; I feel the same way. Even though Clark and I have kids, we still act like teenagers in love. It deepens and gets better with time. You'll see."

At that moment, the time machine re-materialized. It was time for them to travel to San Diego, circa 1973.

~~~~~

TBC

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"