#144724 07/28/04 06:54 PM
A
Aria Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
Hi all!

I've been lurking here for a while and have been awestruck with the amount of creativity and wonderful writing in this community. I've always wanted to give something back, but only just recently got struck with a story idea. I was wondering what the general procedure is for finding a beta reader or two to help me out? I have written fanfic for other fandoms, mostly Forever Knight and Angel, but I don't know anyone in the L&C community yet, really.

I would be looking for someone to take a look at my current plot-outline and critique (at the moment, I have a detailed outline + a teaser written), as well as field incoming parts from me to look at anything and everything that might make it better. Characterization, plot-lines, grammar, quality of writing, the works -- I want it all looked at and hammered through. When I produce something I like it to be as polished as possible and I just love seeking criticism for my work -- I must be a glutton for punishment or something. Are these unreasonable expectations, and if not, where and how should I start my search for help?

Thanks all for your time smile

Diane

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
#144725 07/28/04 07:52 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
wave Welcome, Diane! And congrats on coming out of lurkdom!! laugh In order to get a beta reader all you need do is ask, just like you have. Sometimes authors like to give a little one-line synopsis of what they're working on. Only because if you were working on say an action story, not everyone is proficient in that area.

I admire the fact that you have an outline. I wish I were that organized. dizzy If you like, you're welcome to email me and I'll have a look at what you've got. But don't be afraid to have more than one beta reader. The more the better...well, to an extent. smile

Sara
skfolc@hotmail.com

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
šŸ†2024 Kerth Award Posts šŸ†.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#144726 07/28/04 09:21 PM
A
Aria Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
Wow, thanks for the quick response smile

My current story idea is sort of an alt-beginnings. It assumes the premise of Alt-Clark, whose parents were killed when he was 10, but unlike that universe, it was done on purpose by a very familiar enemy. I expect it to be sort of a mish-mash of both the pilot and Strange Visitor, stealing events from both to make up my new universe. I also expect it will be very long assuming it gets off the runway. From the looks of it, Lois and Clark will be getting off to a very awkward start. My intention is to give Trask a somewhat less 2-dimensional appearance, and on top of that, examine what events might conspire to stay the same, even when the starting circumstances are very different.

Sara, I will send you what I've got so far in a moment. Any other takers? I wouldn't mind a few added opinions.

Thanks again!

Diane

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
#144727 07/29/04 03:54 PM
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hi Aria, wave

Unfortunately I canĀ“t BR in grammar because i am not a native speaker... but count on me for audience and for opinions. Just e-mail me at anytime. IĀ“ll be looking for your stories around here. I loved your idea about Trask. I am anxious to see what you have for us and for Alt CLark... hehehe !!! No need to mention IĀ“m the devil one around...

Good Luck and Welcome,

MDL. laugh or devil ?

"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you."
#144728 08/04/04 02:46 PM
Blogger
Blogger
I've never Beta'ed before but I have read half the LnC stories archived here and I've read more X-Files fanfic than I ever thought possible. So I do know the difference between good and bad writing as well as stories that will work as opposed to those that won't. If you're interested you can email me at krystle[at]kaptured-heart.net and if not that's cool since I don't really have any experience in this area.

Good Luck! thumbsup

~Act well your part; there all the honor lies~

Teri Hatcher fanlisting

Kaptured-Heart.net

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard