Next Thread
Print Thread
#144603 07/21/04 05:36 PM
Y
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Y
I have this story that was my first fanfic ever -- originally written just after the series finale, and revised a few years ago. Originally, I planned a really long series, but I have completely lost the motivation to write it, and every time I look at the revised story, I want to revise it again. The story has an ending, but it has a lot of unresolved questions. Since I am not planning to write anything more in that universe, should I:

a. take the story off the archive -- because there is pretty much no chance the series will be finished.

b. rewrite the story getting rid of some story elements and getting rid of the grammar mistakes / stylistic things that I now know better about and giving it a final ending?

c. leave it as is -- no one reads it anyway and the people who do can imagine an ending they like.

I'd welcome any and all suggestions smile .

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#144604 07/21/04 06:51 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Wow, Laura, this sounds exactly like me...except that my muse decided to revist the story. My story was "Chances Are", written 7 years ago when I was 17. I try not to go back and re-read any of my stories. It makes me cringe because I'm so self-critcal. I'm now in the process of re-writing and posting dizzy this story as "Wherever You Will Go".

Anyway, in answer to your questions:

a)Don't take it off the archive even though it may promise more

b) I personally suggest option b if you're up to revising it a little. Who knows? Your muse might take off with it and write that series after all. laugh

c)Leave it as is if you want to. No harm done there. I'm sure there are plenty more out there like yours and people understand.

Sara (who is wondering just what story it is so that she can go read it and properly nag for a finish evil )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#144605 07/21/04 07:41 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Kind of off topic, but I didn't know you were *that* Sara, SK! Back when I was first getting into fanfic, your Losing a Grip on Reality series was among my favorites. smile

And Laura, if you decide to keep your story on the archive, I would definitely fix the errors and stuff. Who knows who might discover the story in the future?

Yeah, I should take my own advice... some of my old stuff is just... yuck.

Molly
#144606 07/22/04 12:02 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Laura, never take something totally off the archives once it's been posted there. The archives are our 'history' of Lois and Clark fanfiction, and your story is part of that whether you continue the open endedness or not.

If the 'glitches' in the original story bother you, and you have the time, then by all means give it a revision. But I wouldn't expect too many people to go back and revisit the story unless the changes were significant story-wise. There's just too much new stuff out there to catch a readers attention.

Remember, even if someone has only written one story that sits in the archives, they have become part of the legacy that is Lois and Clark fanfiction.

Tank (who says that one never knows, maybe you'll need that story someday when you find yourself giving Wendy a run for most prolific)

#144607 07/22/04 01:07 PM
K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
K
Kind of off topic, but I didn't know you were *that* Sara, SK! Back when I was first getting into fanfic, your Losing a Grip on Reality series was among my favorites.
blush Awh shucks! Thanks LNCroxmysox! I didn't really think anyone remembered me. And hey...that series is by no means finished. I have at least one other in mind...as soon as I get some free time. dizzy

As for the real topic, I agree completely with Tank.

Sara (who is still blushing blush )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard